Photo

When will home visits face to face lessons be permitted?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 kevin1981

kevin1981

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Member: 899738

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:30

I guess I'm too lazy to scroll through all the guidelines, hope I can find a straight forward answer here, when is the planned date that F2F lessons are allowed?

#2 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3416 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:44

Already happening in school.

#3 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1987 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:07

According to the MU, private face-to-face lessons in England have been permissable since Monday (8th March) as long as they are for "working towards exams, entry auditions or other assessments. Teachers should ensure that their studios are risked-assessed and Covid-secure, and they should follow the Government’s guidance on working in other people’s homes where necessary". Otherwise, it is from 12th April.

https://musiciansuni...during-covid-19

The ISM publish similar information, but it's worth adding that the ISM say that these directions apply to teaching children and that "At this stage we are unclear about when adult face-to-face teaching can resume. We are seeking clarification from our government sources and will provide updates when we can".

#4 kevin1981

kevin1981

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 12:07

Thank you!

#5 Minstrel

Minstrel

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1289 posts
  • Member: 9268

Posted 11 March 2021 - 15:20

I’m waiting until at least 3 weeks after my first Covid jab. I’ve hung on for this long , it feels daft to rush back now. The last thing I want to have to do is have to quarantine .... again ....... 

#6 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1987 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 16:51

I’m waiting until at least 3 weeks after my first Covid jab. I’ve hung on for this long , it feels daft to rush back now. The last thing I want to have to do is have to quarantine .... again ....... 

Very sensible. Reports are coming in of significant numbers of kids having to isolate in some schools - 30 from a school in Somerset, 55 from a school in Southend. This could result from false positive tests, of course, but best to let things settle before taking chances.

#7 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 11 March 2021 - 18:02

I guess I'm too lazy to scroll through all the guidelines, hope I can find a straight forward answer here, when is the planned date that F2F lessons are allowed?

I'm afraid there isn't a straight forward answer. I've been advised I can teach pupils who are home-educated (properly, not just out of school!) or who have been identified by their school as vulnerable (eg special needs or in care), as well as those children who are taking exams from the 8th. I don't think think that means a blanket yes to anyone working towards an exam, but for those with imminent exams. I'm limiting it to one or two lessons before the exam, plus the recording if they are doing that here. I have two primary aged pupils who are coming here under the home-educated/vulnerable rule. Every one else will have to wait until at least the 12th April (date still to be confirmed by the government).

#8 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Member: 103420

Posted 11 March 2021 - 23:48

My thinking exactly. I've not taught a lesson in person for a year now but have been teaching online throughout. Once three weeks have passed from my first jab, I'll offer in person lessons, as long as that's after mid April, which it is almost bound to be anyway. I'll keep offering online to people who would rather stick with that for longer though, and in fact I'm going to be keeping some long term online teaching now. I moved to a new area at the start of the pandemic, and a bunch of pupils from my old area decided they didn't want to change teachers so are now long term online pupils. 

#9 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 12 March 2021 - 09:26

The ISM suggest that it will be 26th April at the earliest in Scotland, so I'm guessing that will be only if things go well. They have just had to temporarily close the largest primary school due to a case there. It seems to me that there would be a lot less risk involved in me teaching a small handful of adults, with risk assessment in place, and first Covid vaccination in place. But rules are rules.

#10 kevin1981

kevin1981

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 10:13

Has anyone received any further emails from ABRSM about exams? The last email I received in January saying that they planned to resume the summer exam session and they will start the exam period earlier from May. So in practice especially for those require accompaniments, face to face lessons have to happen before then. Anyone has students planning to take the summer in person exams?

#11 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3416 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 12 March 2021 - 10:50

I got an email yesterday.  They are planning to run and will hear unaccompanied performances if required.

Title (abrsm.ac.uk)

Dunno if this link works.

We're certainly planning to run in school at the beginning of July.

Bx

#12 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1987 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:10

Has anyone received any further emails from ABRSM about exams? The last email I received in January saying that they planned to resume the summer exam session and they will start the exam period earlier from May. So in practice especially for those require accompaniments, face to face lessons have to happen before then. Anyone has students planning to take the summer in person exams?

The latest on the ABRSM Covid-update page (from two days ago) states that they expect to restart face-to-face exams in centres on June 1st in Scotland and June 17th in England and Wales. The same page confirms that government regulations mean that they cannot restart in May, as originally hoped.

#13 xini

xini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Member: 41401

Posted 24 March 2021 - 12:46

Worth noting that it's not allowed to share instruments, so piano/keys teachers may have to look for other options - or cart a keyboard with them.

I used to teach in other people's homes, and am finding that having no control over the environment (distancing/ventilation/shared equipment) may pose problems. Things like going in your pocket to retrieve keys or sanitiser, after touching anything in someone's home, all raise issues.

I know for sure most of my pupils will say they do not mind sharing instruments etc, they just want me back F2F, but that would still be against the guidelines.

I've been going into one of my schools, where the music room contains three instruments which I wipe down between each pupil and can spread out my resources, but that is a very different proposition from going to multiple homes with all my resources in hand.

i don't really know what to do. I'm considering hiring a studio, but I know I'll lose a lot of pupils who can't or won't travel to lessons.

What are other piano tutors doing?

#14 Iulia

Iulia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Member: 899283

Posted 26 March 2021 - 13:15

Xini - I have similar concerns. I think for those teachers with a studio they are in a much stronger position to control the environment. A school can also control the environment. A travelling teacher has absolutely no way of knowing when the area was last cleaned, and who has visited it.

Its a point that eludes most of my parents that they aren't actually the only house I visit. 

#15 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:03

Worth noting that it's not allowed to share instruments, so piano/keys teachers may have to look for other options - or cart a keyboard with them.

Does this apply when teaching in one's own home? I have one piano and no keyboard.