#61 Lilorganannie

Lilorganannie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 41518

Posted 09 October 2008 - 15:36

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=7] newHere.gif
Hello all...I'm both a new member to the ABRSM Organ Forum, AND....a VERY new organist - played piano for more years than I care to remember, ALWAYS wanted to learn to play the play pipe organ, at last I'm realising my ambition.

First, yes, I have heard of Wayne Marshall - I heard him play Saint-Saens Organ Symphony on the radio some time ago, tried to find the CD but to no avail. I didn't know he was of Caribbean heritage, though.

Next, as a new organist, am I just inept, or did anybody else have difficulty in incorporating your feet with your hands? I've managed to master the pedalboard to the extent that I can play what I'm supposed to, without looking down - well, not much anyway....but when I try and combine hands and feet I seem to 'freeze'. PLEASE, someone, tell me it's something I can conquer - I'm doing something now I never thought I'd be able to, and it's proving a bit more difficult than I thought. I'd love some encouragement - thank you!

#62 guilmant

guilmant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Member: 8200
  • South West

Posted 09 October 2008 - 17:13

QUOTE(Lilorganannie @ Oct 9 2008, 04:36 PM) View Post

Hello all...I'm both a new member to the ABRSM Organ Forum, AND....a VERY new organist - played piano for more years than I care to remember, ALWAYS wanted to learn to play the play pipe organ, at last I'm realising my ambition.

First, yes, I have heard of Wayne Marshall - I heard him play Saint-Saens Organ Symphony on the radio some time ago, tried to find the CD but to no avail. I didn't know he was of Caribbean heritage, though.

Next, as a new organist, am I just inept, or did anybody else have difficulty in incorporating your feet with your hands? I've managed to master the pedalboard to the extent that I can play what I'm supposed to, without looking down - well, not much anyway....but when I try and combine hands and feet I seem to 'freeze'. PLEASE, someone, tell me it's something I can conquer - I'm doing something now I never thought I'd be able to, and it's proving a bit more difficult than I thought. I'd love some encouragement - thank you!

Welcome! And we're all honoured that your first post is in the organ forum!

Yes, feet and hands is a nightmare to start with. The motion of doing it without thinking is akin to the pedals in driving; clutch/accel etc. It took me about 3 years to get to the stage where I could do simple pedal parts without thinking/looking. Every piece you play, do RH and LH, then RH and feet, then LH and feet (the hardest). My teacher used to hold the hymnbook over my legs so I couldn't see the pedals and you soon get to feel your way around.

Good luck as you progress, let us know how you get on.

#63 David Garner

David Garner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Member: 26836

Posted 09 October 2008 - 22:51

QUOTE(Lilorganannie @ Oct 9 2008, 04:36 PM) View Post

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=7] newHere.gif

I, like you, played the piano for MANY years but really wanted to learn to play the organ and I finally bit the bullet 2.5 years ago. I too found hands and feet an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE at first but now it has just become natural. It's just practice. I can now sight-read hymns reasonably well and am taking my G7 in December so ... it can be done. Good luck!

David.