anonymousalto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Member: 887475
  • South West

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:32

My gorgeous winter white dwarf hamster developed a bulging eye yesterday - cue urgent vet appointment today. It is probably an abscess, but could be a tumour. Poor little critter had to have an injection in her head - I have never heard her screech like that before! - and I am to give her antibiotics daily via her water bottle for a week. 

I had a hamster with a similar problem - Sadly, it turned out to be a tumour, but not before I'd had to administer eye drops to the poor little animal for a week! Quite an experience for us both!

#17 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 11 August 2019 - 17:47

My gorgeous winter white dwarf hamster developed a bulging eye yesterday - cue urgent vet appointment today. It is probably an abscess, but could be a tumour. Poor little critter had to have an injection in her head - I have never heard her screech like that before! - and I am to give her antibiotics daily via her water bottle for a week. 

I had a hamster with a similar problem - Sadly, it turned out to be a tumour, but not before I'd had to administer eye drops to the poor little animal for a week! Quite an experience for us both!

Sad to read this, anonymousalto. How old was your hamster? How did the vet diagnose the tumour?

There doesn't seem to have been any improvement since we took her to the vet, but we were told it wouldn't be a quick fix. Our vet said it was more likely to be an abscess than a tumour due to her age - she's only 7-8 months old. But apparently it's difficult to do diagnostic tests on a critter that small (not to mention wriggly).

#18 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4937 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 11 August 2019 - 19:13

Came across a Lesser Stag Beetle on garden fence. It didn't seem like a 'little' critter - it was enormous, but that was the nearest match according to my wildlife book.
I'd like to swear it was at least 1 and a half inches long; wrong colour for a pukka Stag Beetle.

#19 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6164 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 12 August 2019 - 14:39

I used to keep spiders as pets when I was in primary school. I lived in Asia, and they were pretty shiny spiders called "fighting spiders" (https://en.wikipedia...ania_bhamoensis) They lived in a plastic tub covered with clingfilm. I had to catch live flies to feed them. I caught flies by putting a plastic bag over ones sitting on the bathroom wall. Tap the bag and the fly would go into the bag. I now had a live fly in a bag, and a live spider in a tub. How to get them both in the same container? I knew that insects and related things got slow when it was cold, so I would put everything in the freezer for 10 seconds. Then it was simple to tip the fly in suspended animation into the spider tub, cover it over again and let the whole assemblage warm up. It worked. 

#20 anonymousalto

anonymousalto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • South West

Posted 13 August 2019 - 19:21

Sad to read this, anonymousalto. How old was your hamster? How did the vet diagnose the tumour?

An abcess was never mentioned - I think a few weeks later it was obvious from the shape of the poor animal's head that it was a large tumour - Fudge, the hamster was not much older than yours, certainly not a year old. 

However, over the years, that is the only one that has been so poorly so early on in life - I've had quite a few hamsters over the last 25 years or so, and many have lived to see their second birthday!

#21 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 13 August 2019 - 19:46

My cute, fluffy, innocent-looking bunny has eaten the end of my washing machine cable. Why do I love him? (Mind you, my son is also to blame as he left the plug on the floor in the kitchen!)

At least this one I could fix myself by cutting the end off and fitting a new plug - when he managed to squeeze behind the cooker (he was frightened by me playing the last movement of the Moonlight sonata!), I had to pay an electrician to re-wire it!

#22 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:45

An abcess was never mentioned - I think a few weeks later it was obvious from the shape of the poor animal's head that it was a large tumour - Fudge, the hamster was not much older than yours, certainly not a year old. 

However, over the years, that is the only one that has been so poorly so early on in life - I've had quite a few hamsters over the last 25 years or so, and many have lived to see their second birthday!

May I ask if your hamster's behaviour changed as a result of the tumour? Our dwarf seems to be more or less her normal self, although slightly more jumpy, and maybe using her wheel a little less. A week of antibiotics later, things don't seem to be improving.

One thing struck me this week when I read something online. We had an insect repellent thingy (one that emits a high-pitched noise inaudible to humans) plugged in within two feet of her cage. I didn't even think of it as a possible problem before, but I have now moved it to another room. She has never acted as though it has caused her stress, but I wonder now whether it did, and whether this may have resulted in bodily symptoms.

#23 anonymousalto

anonymousalto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • South West

Posted 19 August 2019 - 13:48

May I ask if your hamster's behaviour changed as a result of the tumour? Our dwarf seems to be more or less her normal self, although slightly more jumpy, and maybe using her wheel a little less. A week of antibiotics later, things don't seem to be improving.

I'm afraid it was so long ago that I can't remember. Maybe he didn't like being handled so much, but that's all I can think of. 

I suppose your plug-in thing might be partly to blame...

#24 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 19 August 2019 - 19:20

So another trip to the Vet today. They have now ruled out anything as a result of infection, and think it could possibly be glaucoma. I have to administer drops to her right eye twice a day to reduce the pressure - that will be easy then!blink.png I can't imagine how I will get her to stay still long enough - except by offering an endless succession of sunflower seeds. Poor mite - I'd love to see her restored to full health. sad.png

#25 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7841 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 20 August 2019 - 15:27

Tiny animals are so difficult to treat but I'm sure you will manage Misterioso. I do hope she improves.

#26 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7841 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 21:19

Having failed to save a very sick toad yesterday I am now landed with a pigeon who can't fly and seems to have lost most of its wing and tail feathers. I am giving it the "darkened room " treatment until tomorrow when I will have a proper look at it. it is currently in a large cage which I have put in the upstairs bathroom.

#27 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7841 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 13:36

I have now had time to examine the bird. I don't know if it's male or female but I think probably female as it seems to be a lot less aggressive than some of the wood pigeons I have had in the past. She is a young bird, seems strong and healthy but has had most of her tail feathers and the flight feathers on her wings torn out plus quite a lot of down. So I suspect a fox or cat from which she managed finally to escape. I had already found lots of feathers in the garden but no body so I wasn't that surprised to find the bird when I took the dog out for her last garden visit before bed.

I hand fed the pigeon and got her to drink. Of course it is the hunting season here now and the hunters will all be sitting in their tree houses waiting for the pigeons to pass overhead. However we hardly ever see pigeons in our garden - turtle doves yes but no pigeons and certainly not wood pigeons so how it came to be here I do not know. Anyway it is now settled in my large out door cage and I must say that the undamaged feathers are beautiful and her eyes are bright. so maybe I will have more success than with the poor old toad.

#28 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4655 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 17 September 2019 - 17:18

Oh cute! Have you given her a name?

I have a bee garden, but a few butterflies and moths turn up occasionally, and I found my first caterpillar in the patch yesterday!

#29 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7841 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:13

Not yet Norway. Any suggestions ?  Actually she has cost me a bomb as I went to the agricultural co-operative for a bag of maize for her and came back with the maize but also having fallen for a garden picnic table with benches attached - good quality wood and less expensive than any others  I have seen recently. When i asked if it came as a flat pack the nice man said "I expect you'd like it made up, wouldn't you?." I confessed that I would and he said I could have the show model and he would deliver it and place it under my fig tree next week!

#30 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4655 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 19 September 2019 - 15:21

Errr.... colombine appears to be french for dove. What about that?