Photo

Are there any classical guitar teachers who teach Trinity?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Member: 94062

Posted 07 November 2019 - 20:51

Just wondering if there are any classical guitar teachers on this forum apart from myself? I've just had the new Trinity books arrive for some of the grades and was so excited based on previous syllabuses. However, I think the Board have lost the plot and I could do with the opinions of others before I contact Trinity about my thoughts! Glad I didn't spend £88+ on all of the grades, just £44+ on 5 of them. What a waste of money... arghhhhhhhhhh

#2 Karensnagsby

Karensnagsby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Member: 888071

Posted 09 November 2019 - 15:45

I teach classical guitar although I haven’t been doing so for very long. It’s still a learning curve for me and I am exploring many options.

I am more familiar with the ABRSM syllabus, more so the previous one since it changed recently, but not Trinity if that is also new. What don’t you like about the pieces?

#3 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 22:20

Thanks for replying - wasn't sure whether there would be anyone out there!!! I teach a little ABRSM but mainly Trinity as it fits so well into the 30 minute teaching slots at school which can be solo, pair or group lessons. The last 2 Trinity syllabi I was impressed with - the pieces were a good contrast, well-balanced; at the earlier grades they were essentially in 1st position with perhaps a bit of movement starting at Grade 2 followed by what I would say was a very graded approach to development of technique. I've only purchased grades 2, 3, 4, 5 & 7 of the new syllabus so far as those are the ones I'm currently teaching and I needed to keep pre-Christmas spending down! There is little in the way of diversity in many of the pieces; there seems to be a glut of pieces from the same (modern) composers across these grades and a whole century or so of missing music following on from the likes of Sor. The pieces often don't seem to develop into anything at all. Extended technique in grade 3 of strumming the strings beyond the nut - that's fine but it's trying to get there and back from bass C - a bit tricky at this level really, especially for smaller hands. Gosh, honestly I could go on and on about it (in fact the air has turned rather blue here when I've played through yet another "samey" piece that goes nowhere! Don't waste your money on exploring the pieces of this current syllabus which is 2020-2023 (OMG!). Please persuade me to change to ABRSM - I've only got the grade 5 syllabus at the moment. What do you think of the other grades? Sorry for the rant!!!

#4 Karensnagsby

Karensnagsby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Member: 888071

Posted 10 November 2019 - 14:26

I have yet to look at the earlier grades, 1-4 in particular because I haven’t any students taking the grade exams. Just glancing at the new syllabus, De Visse Suite in D minor features here and there, which I like, because it’s good to learn as much or as little of the composition if inspired to, and not just for a grade exam.

Within the grade 5 syllabus there are a few pieces that I think sound more promising - Senhorina is a nice one to play and very expressive. Or it should be! ABRSM tends to include pieces by Leo Brouwer which I personally aren’t too keen on, I think they sound too frantic. At least some of the etudes do. The one that I think translates to A day in November or similar, also by Brouwer, being an exception. That’s a grade 7 piece.

A significant difference, I believe between Trinity and ABRSM is the supporting tests. There’s a lot of scales, interval scales, arpeggios etc. to play from memory in the ABRSM exams. Those tests haven’t changed.

I didn’t know there were other classical guitar teaches on here, or at least one other, I should say. I get the impression most are piano teachers. Clever folk anyway, reading two lines of music at the same time, I’m in awe!

#5 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 23:53

Thanks again! I quite like the Grade 5 ABRSM syllabus especially The Snow Globe duet which my pupils are loving. I actually think the pieces for ABRSM grade 5 are easier than the Trinity ones. I will look at getting some of the lower grades I think, probably after Christmas though! It's nice to connect with another guitarist - I'm actually a piano and guitar teacher!!! :rofl: