mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4937 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 08 November 2019 - 19:48

If I knew what was meant by elucidating the initialism I would comment but I will allow that one to dangle.
I have tried to describe the physical response more than once, and a useful link was provided, which put it in another's words. Obviously I haven't been very clear - either that or it is a less common phenomenon than I imagined.
I guess I'm just lucky to be able to experience this, although funnily enough I came across an article on the subject in a recent issue of The Spectator which suggests ASMR was first given a name around 2007.

I like to think it may be linked to a heightened response to music.

#17 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 08 November 2019 - 21:55

What it is is pretty vague. It's not been studied enough to even be sure it's a thing. I found one interesting evaluation by someone who thought it might be helpful for susceptible people who also had trouble sleeping. There needs to be more research before it can be considered anything more than confirmation bias or an over description of normal pleasurable sensations.

#18 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:24

I'm still trying to work out what GANFFCS is. :lol:

#19 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 10 November 2019 - 23:48

I first came across the term in Pls Like (BBC3 comedy series about vlogging) and assumed it was a spoof. Evidently the irony was lost on me. :wacko: