Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Member: 16014
  • south of scotland

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:13

As requested by light yesterday...

I was actually so lost for words that I just wished mother and child success in finding a younger teacher!   Have thought of all kinds of brilliant answers since, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Haven't taken it as an insult, life is too short....

#32 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2838 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 02 October 2014 - 16:05

I used to live in Norway and heard about the father of a boy who had just had his first guitar lesson at the local music school, who asked was there somewhere they could leave the guitar until the next lesson....

#33 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3362 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:12

As requested by light yesterday...

I was actually so lost for words that I just wished mother and child success in finding a younger teacher!   Have thought of all kinds of brilliant answers since, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Haven't taken it as an insult, life is too short....

Let's hope for your sake it's not that short :lol:

#34 soccermom

soccermom

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts
  • Member: 9005
  • South West Surrey

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:20

It would have been in the early 1940s, I think, that my mother in law learned to swim. By then she was engaged to my future father in law, who lived on the coast so she thought she ought to learn.  There was no pool where she lived, so she used the stool.  Once she was married, she learned in a sea water pool before venturing into the sea.  The teaching method there was apparently to tie a rope around your waist and someone would walk to the other end of the pool and reel you in while you tried out your strokes.  Gradually, there was less reeling in and then the rope was taken away altogether.

For years she only swam in that pool or the sea.  She said the first time she swam in a normal pool she almost drowned because she hadn't realised how much difference the salt water had made.

I hope TM will be relieved to know that I did not use either the stool or the rope method with my children!

As he says, there are a number of parallels with learning an instrument.  The one that struck me most at the time was the variability in the quality of teaching between different teachers.  When my children first started having lessons I use to sit and watch (there was a cafe area which was separated from the baby pool by a big glass window).  Every time they moved up a level because they had reached a particular milestone I had to rejig our schedule to make sure that they could stay with the two teachers I thought were the best.

#35 dcvos

dcvos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Member: 461632
  • Netherlands, near Utrecht

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:09

I was looking for information on flute lessons in Utrecht . On a webste the teacher says  " It is not required to have an own instrument (for the time being).

(I think he meant to say you can rent/borrow one, but parents can easily misunderstand this.)

#36 londonpiano

londonpiano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Member: 888468

Posted 03 October 2014 - 13:45

I did my Brownies lifesaving badge without setting foot in a swimming pool. We made a makeshift pool out of 4 PE benches in a square and flailed around inside these!

#37 morceau

morceau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Member: 75482
  • Yorkshire

Posted 05 October 2014 - 17:31

Loving all of these - including the off-topic ones.  I haven't got any instrument teaching ones of my own - except for people not having a keyboard and wanting to start - but I also send them away to get an instrument before I will give lessons. 

However - my uncle passed his driving test after just 10 lessons, despite having no access to a car.  He practised the moves while sitting on a dining chair.

#38 DaisyChain

DaisyChain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Member: 380975
  • Kent

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:36

Caller- "Hello"

DC- "Hello"

Caller- "Hello"

DC- "Hello"

C- "Hello- can you hear me?"

DC- "Yes, I can hear you. How can I help?"

C- "Hello.  Is this the number for the dry cleaners? I wondered if my suit is ready?"

DC- "Sorry. I am a piano teacher. No idea how to dry-clean a suit, but I'm happy to teach you piano."

For some reason, the caller hangs up.  Can't imagine why.... :rolleyes:

#39 BarbaraR

BarbaraR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Member: 13636

Posted 06 October 2014 - 22:43

I had a parent enquire about piano tuners and duly gave the name of one I was happy to recommend. Turned out to be a mistake as piano tuner duly turned up at their house, had a go (presumably) at tuning the piano,then told them if it was a horse he'd shoot it.........they chopped it up and I lost a pupil as she no longer had anything to practise on!!

Ah well, she wasn't exactly setting the heather alight with her playing anyway......!!!

#40 Bantock

Bantock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Member: 4662

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:01

Phone rings in middle of lesson...

'Oh hello'
'Can you tell me who wrote Götterdämmerung '
'Er Wagner'
'OK thanks'
'Why do you need to know?'
'It's a crossword clue. I saw your name in yellow pages as a music teacher and thought you might know.'

Resumes lesson...

#41 Chomp

Chomp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Member: 888251

Posted 07 October 2014 - 17:58

That's hilarious!

#42 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Member: 76503
  • Scotland

Posted 07 October 2014 - 19:21

'Oh hello'
'Er Wagner'
'OK thanks'
'It's a crossword clue. I saw your name in yellow pages as a music teacher and thought you might know.'

Resumes lesson...

Good Lord!! Please tell me this at least happened before the widespread availability of Google. 

#43 Bantock

Bantock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Member: 4662

Posted 07 October 2014 - 22:06

Yes - pre google - about 20 years ago,  but it's something you never forget!

#44 Hils

Hils

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1171 posts
  • Member: 7416

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:14

'Oh hello'
'Er Wagner'
'OK thanks'

Resumes lesson...

Quite ingenious really.  Hope you got a share of the prize money for the crossword!

OT but ..

A musicologist asked a librarian friend of mind what date Easter was in 1665 because they needed to know a first performance date of an opera they were researching.  She was able to tell him by looking in Pepys' diary    (highlight for the answer) 

#45 KathyB

KathyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Member: 487205

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:56

I have a pupil who cries a lot when we don't do what she wants or if I tell her we can make the song better if we do something differently she bursts into tears and says she can't do it and I've told her she is useless (this worries me a bit actually). She enjoys coming and always comes in with a smile and leaves with a smile but I often say in the middle of the lesson 'so lets go and tell mum/dad you don't want to come any more' at which point it all stops.

One week I decided to have a word with parent and approached it by saying 'we have had some tears tonight'......

Parents reply was, 'well if she is able to get so emotionally connected with the music at her age then thats brilliant'!   AAArggh  :wacko:

Haven't tried to address it again but not sure I will put up with it much longer!!