• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7157 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:05

At least it wasn't a chat up line!

hahahahahaha :rofl:

I don't recollect he was so sophisticated in his chatting, but it was a long time ago!

"Would you like to see my theorbo?" would work on me... 

#19007 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5728 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:25

It sounds much more fun than etchings doesn't it!

#19008 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:47

It sounds much more fun than etchings doesn't it!

Etchings would always work on me! :lol:

#19009 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2099 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 17 September 2021 - 16:09

Having just invested in new varifocals, "would you like to see my theorbo" is finally a chat-up line with which I could comply; finally I will be able to focus on both ends at the same time (ooer, Matron!).

A nice German lady did, once, invite me back to her room to look at her Radierungen. I didn't know what they were, so I agreed. When they turned out to be etchings, I got hysterical giggles, but never did find a way to explain. Nothing happened. They were quite good etchings.

#19010 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15177 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 17 September 2021 - 22:56

I just watched the Faking It programme on Donald Trump.

I think I might have nightmares.

:sick:  :sick:  :sick:

#19011 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 10:21

We've just had an hilarious renewal notice for the house insurance. It has us both down as 'filing clerks' (we're both retired and we aren't even ex-filing clerks). It has my husband as 'married' but I'm down as 'single' and my relationship to him is stated as 'none'. The premium has also gone through the roof. Luckily, it expires and doesn't auto-renew so neither of us have to have what would certainly be a very boring conversation. I simply went somewhere else... We're still laughing at the renewal notice though. And my husband says he has no idea who he's married to... :lol: :lol: :lol:

#19012 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:12

We've just had an hilarious renewal notice for the house insurance. It has us both down as 'filing clerks' (we're both retired and we aren't even ex-filing clerks). It has my husband as 'married' but I'm down as 'single' and my relationship to him is stated as 'none'. The premium has also gone through the roof. Luckily, it expires and doesn't auto-renew so neither of us have to have what would certainly be a very boring conversation. I simply went somewhere else... We're still laughing at the renewal notice though. And my husband says he has no idea who he's married to... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just got the renewal quote for mum's empty house which I will be selling as soon as I can finish clearing it and it has gone from about 360 to 488 !!! Getting the broker to have another look (he also needs to put it in my name rather than mum's)

#19013 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 14:44

Just got the renewal quote for mum's empty house which I will be selling as soon as I can finish clearing it and it has gone from about 360 to 488 !!! Getting the broker to have another look (he also needs to put it in my name rather than mum's)

Being empty is bad news - especially if it's just empty of people not things. We had that when we moved to this house but still had a house we were selling and it contained all our furniture. We had to return every so often in order for the costs not to go through the roof. It was quite complex with lockdown! Anyway, shopping around is always a good idea with these things but it's extremely boring! Good luck with it! I hope you get it sorted with the least possible hassle!

#19014 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6861 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 23 September 2021 - 15:36

I don't know what it is with builders in this neck of the woods. We are trying to get a quote from a few builders to knock down an old croft house next to us that actually belongs to us, currently housing only a large pile of rubble (and a fuschia!) We've only manage to get a single quote, and the other one won't get back to us. We don't want to go with the first quote without at least having one other in case the builder is charging us silly prices because they are not particularly interested in the work. Builders don't seem to be short of work here.

Somebody - send me a nice friendly builder!

#19015 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4017 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 23 September 2021 - 17:03

Be aware that if a house is empty and not lived in then the insurance doesn't cover much anyway.

#19016 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:50

I don't know what it is with builders in this neck of the woods. We are trying to get a quote from a few builders to knock down an old croft house next to us that actually belongs to us, currently housing only a large pile of rubble (and a fuschia!) We've only manage to get a single quote, and the other one won't get back to us. We don't want to go with the first quote without at least having one other in case the builder is charging us silly prices because they are not particularly interested in the work. Builders don't seem to be short of work here.

Somebody - send me a nice friendly builder!

I wish I could. As I've said - we've been renovating this house and attempting to live in it at the same time. It's required a lot of work - rewiring for a start. The Barn has needed partial rebuilding, a roof, all windows and doors and floors! Trying to get tradespeople has been a bit of a challenge. They often say they'll come out to quote but don't and then come out but don't quote. We've even accepted quotes but then they've never turned up to do the work. They most certainly aren't short of work and seem to be taking the jobs that give them the quickest least hassle returns. I can't say I blame them but it's a bit inconvenient if you've on the receiving end of that! Luckily, we had the windows and doors to the main house agreed before lockdown and we continued with the same firm - very lucrative from their perspective - we've had 8 external doors and three sets of French windows! And the whole house (and barn) had windows replaced. However, a joiner to sort out internal doors has been impossible and we've had to be inventive. We never did get the kitchen replaced (it was installed in the late 60s early 70s) - we simply painted it all (cupboards as well), and re-grouted. Eventually, we got someone to replace the 60/70s stove and dishwasher! However, all of that is a bit different from knocking something down! As for prices - they've reached amazing heights. We wanted an internal window, up high, to fill a gap where there is still a door to what was once the mezzanine in the barn. We wanted to save the door - just pin it back - because it says: Keep Out! in scrawly red paint. Anyway, the window company suggested an acrylic panel with an aluminium frame. They told us yesterday that they hadn't bothered to get back to us because they were quoted over £600. My husband thought he could make something using acrylic but I've suggested securing the panel with the kind of turn catches you get on rabbit hutches. It means we can easily replace it or clean it if necessary.

The problem of getting people is compounded by the fact they can't get raw materials and when they can there can be a lengthy wait. We've waited 12 weeks for windows and doors to be made (not fitted) instead of the 4-6 weeks it usually takes. We came to the conclusion that when we got estimates we asked ourselves how much it was worth to **us!** :lol: It's saved a lot of gnashing of teeth and wailing. We're currently going through the same thing with stair carpet. This one has been down at least 50 years and has holes. It's dangerous. I've taped it with strong carpet tape but it really has to be replaced. We asked one firm out. They didn't arrive. They said they'd come the next week. They didn't arrive. So we're on to firm number 2 who seem a bit more interested and at least phone us up to tell us the latest position! I shan't hold my breath!!!!

Good luck! :)

#19017 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2194 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:21

We have several jobs around the house that we can't do for ourselves and have had similar problms with tradespeople. One is a small leak around a roof light - several requests for an estimate have fallen on deaf ears, one bloke turned up but didn't want the job and another decided (wrongly) that the entire roof needed re-felting. The other job was a failed lock on our bi-fold doors. We eventually found someone who claimed to be an expert on bi-fold doors, but when he arrived said he had never encountered our make before (it is the most popular in the UK) and, while he managed a bodged repair of the lock, left the whole set of doors out of alignment.

#19018 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6974 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 24 September 2021 - 15:39

What is it with all the traffic today? Everywhere's absolutely mad busy! (And too many roadworks round here as usual)

#19019 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20543 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 24 September 2021 - 16:19

What is it with all the traffic today? Everywhere's absolutely mad busy! (And too many roadworks round here as usual)

Yes. I think  everyone is trying to buy fuel. 

#19020 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6861 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 24 September 2021 - 17:36

Yes. I think  everyone is trying to buy fuel. 

I do wish all the media people wouldn't predict shortages. At the merest sniff of the word, there is a sector of the population that goes crazy and overbuys, thus exacerbating the shortage. It doesn't take a lot to create a shortage; if each person who goes to a supermarket bought two of everything instead of just one, there would immediately be a shortage. What is it that people don't understand about "shopping as normal", be it fuel or anything else?