#1 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 03 September 2021 - 15:21

Anyone else having a good old clear out? I'm chucking out computer gear and cables which I haven't touched for 20 years and have no idea what to do with anyway. So liberating, and now it isn't sitting there making me feel inadequate. :P

#2 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 03 September 2021 - 15:39

Anyone else having a good old clear out? I'm chucking out computer gear and cables which I haven't touched for 20 years and have no idea what to do with anyway. So liberating, and now it isn't sitting there making me feel inadequate. :P

We are.... the Everest of junk scattered everywhere is slowly but surely turning into the K2 of junk....  so I'm also feeling inadequate

#3 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5739 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 16:30

Oh well done - hopefully it will be like The Fens soon! Just off to the loft to ditch more technology - revenge is sweet! :)

#4 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 03 September 2021 - 17:21

Tell me about it - had a small 2nd home which I finally sold this summer, a small main home and my mum's house (she died a month ago, although we started clearing it over a year ago when she was in the rest home). Been trying to sell/give/donate all sorts of stuff to whittle it down, still got an awful lot more to go but need to concentrate on mum's house as that needs to be sold asap. Hardest is some of my old toys in mum's loft which I am loathe to part with but which aren't worth much and I will never have any use for, also some books I got with book tokens from school prize giving for topics I was interested in at the time but no longer - seems wrong to dispose of but......

#5 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3443 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 03 September 2021 - 18:42

Totally get that....I still have my school prize for "Bagpuss's scholarly approach to theology in the sixth form"....

Argh.

Bx

#6 Minstrel

Minstrel

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1297 posts
  • Member: 9268

Posted 03 September 2021 - 21:08

I need to urgently ! We are well over cluttered, having lived here for over 30 years with our own (growing pile of ) stuff ….. all offspring have officially left home although a couple are ‘occasional boomerangs’ between foreign postings ….. almost half the contents of my parents’ house is here, pending nextgenerationminstrels moving to somewhere big enough and permanent enough to take their share …… and yet more stuff is arriving tomorrow as Boneson is moving back to the uk after working abroad for four years and has asked if we can ‘ foster’ his things until he finds permanent accomodation close to his new job . 
I had a massive clear and reset of my music room last week and it looks and feels so fresh that I now  want to do the same to every other room  

#7 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5739 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 07:19

Doing the china this morning. Hoping to reduce it to 50% with half going to charity shop. Trouble is I already got rid of the junky stuff some years ago, and now this is the pretty quite nice stuff which I never use. I don't think I would ever have a use for nice china or a tea or coffee set. More of a teabag in a mug kind of girl.

Key questions to self: When did I last use this? Would I ever use this? Would someone else enjoy using this? Does it really have sentimental value? Is the quantity of clutter adversely affecting my mental health/ my ability to reach the bathroom in time.... :rolleyes:

#8 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 04 September 2021 - 07:58

no,no,no....keep it. Put up more shelves. you can never have too much pretty china.

oops sorry, I am certainly not qualified to join a decluttering thread.

:)

#9 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 04 September 2021 - 09:52

I can not part with nice china! I blame this poem which we had to learn by heart back in the day in Ireland:

An Old Woman of the Roads, by Pádraic Colum

O, to have a little house!
To own the hearth and stool and all!
The heaped up sods upon the fire,
The pile of turf against the wall!

To have a clock with weights and chains
And pendulum swinging up and down!
A dresser filled with shining delph,
Speckled and white and blue and brown!

I could be busy all the day
Clearing and sweeping hearth and floor,
And fixing on their shelf again
My white and blue and speckled store!

I could be quiet there at night
Beside the fire and by myself,
Sure of a bed and loth to leave
The ticking clock and the shining delph!

Och! but I'm weary of mist and dark,
And roads where there's never a house nor bush,
And tired I am of bog and road,
And the crying wind and the lonesome hush!

And I am praying to God on high,
And I am praying Him night and day,
For a little house - house of my own -
Out of the wind's and the rain's way

(Though I don't relate much to the clearing and sweeping bit!)

#10 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6982 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 04 September 2021 - 10:36

Ah! A thread after my own heart! :yay:  Does anyone else watch these decluttering programmes on TV? I've just found a couple with Nick Knowles which I find quite inspiring.

We have over the years accumulated "stuff" - my mum's stuff after she moved into a care home, and then died (sympathies with you musicalmalc). I still have, for example, an old piano stool which I haven't used for years because it isn't adjustable and is the wrong height, but belonged to my dad so some sentimental attachment. I find I can only get rid of this stuff slowly and at the right time for me. Then there's "stuff" that the grown up children want to keep, but not in their flat/house just at the moment etc. :ninja:  :wacko:

I'm now feeling a bit like "can't see the wood for the trees", so current plan is to get rid of at least 1 piece of unwanted stuff per day.  It's slow, but as Mr Hedgehog says, every little helps!  :D

#11 Tortellini

Tortellini

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1349 posts
  • Member: 8579
  • Italy

Posted 04 September 2021 - 11:16

I am decluttering too. Up until two days ago we had a study...no longer. We have made it into a bedroom for my daughter as she is going up to senior school and doesn't want to share with her brother anymore. The trouble is it is full of stuff that we need but have nowhere to put. Some books can be donated or thrown out but a lot of things we need as I work from home too. Finding it really hard to live in a flat with no utility room or extra space anywhere - every square inch is already accounted for!

#12 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5739 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 14:01

Don't worry Dorfmouse - I kept the best tea set and the best coffee set in the end.

Not much shining delph upon my shelf,

It's gone to Headway for the mental health!

#13 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5739 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 17:25

Eight hours of sorting out slides using a slide viewer today - arghhhh! 70 boxes down to 7. :) Now have to teach and brain is frazzled!  :wacko: 

#14 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6982 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 06 September 2021 - 18:16

Eight hours of sorting out slides using a slide viewer today - arghhhh! 70 boxes down to 7. :) Now have to teach and brain is frazzled!  :wacko:

Truly amazing!  :notWorthy:  I haven't even managed to take the small bag of stuff to the charity shop today. Makes mental note: Must Do Better!

#15 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8712 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 07 September 2021 - 09:46

I am suffering from a severe case of clutter  despair. :sick: