Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7173 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 11 October 2020 - 15:28

Resuming from https://forums.abrsm...c=63443&page=43

I don't have anything much to say about C-19 that I haven't already, but here's a thread so other people can. 

#2 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2339 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 11 October 2020 - 18:34

A good idea Corenfa. We've just taken an elderly relative out for a birthday meal in an area where we aren't allowed to go into her home to visit her. So we took her to a restaurant where she would come into contact with far more people. Her choice!

#3 Guest: mel2_*

Guest: mel2_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 11 October 2020 - 19:13

Goodness! I turn my back for 5 minutes....

Actually, I thought it was a masterclass in how to disagree in a civilised fashion (most of the time ;)), but if it is scaring the horses I will bow out.

I'd just like to extend a metaphorical hand to those on the other side of what has for me, been an interesting conversation and state that my opinion has not changed a jot, but for the sake of those who are disturbed, my part ends here.

#4 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2339 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 19:27

You played a good part Mel, as did others.
Personally I think this is a topic that should continue to be discussed. I'm not quite sure why some were so disturbed, (other than the fact that the whole thing IS disturbing) and yes, for the most part it was a very civilised discussion.

It's an evolving situation, and some people have definitely changed their minds about some things after the discussion.

#5 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7173 posts
  • Here

Posted 11 October 2020 - 20:29

Not going to speak for anyone but I don't change my mind based on social media discussions (this or others); I look at evidence from sources that I consider reputable. There's sometimes a coincidence between these and social media posts, but I just wanted to point out the distinction in my case. (And please don't read any sort of judgement about anyone else into this. I don't care what other people do)

A social media post may well motivate me to do some more research, but I will try to avoid forming an opinion until I've done that research not on social media. 

#6 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18840 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 11 October 2020 - 20:39

Theres speculation that tomorrow Merseyside people will not be able to travel.  We live only a few hundred yards from the border with Cheshire, yet we may not be able to visit Chester , or even nearer , Ness Gardens where we are members.  The infections level in our ward of Wirral is the lowest within Merseyside, the worst Covid areas in Wirral at up in Wallasey. NewBrighton, Birkenhead area   (and those not as high as LIverpool across the  Mersey). I thnk Wirral should be excluded from any Merseyside restrictions.

#7 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2339 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 20:56

I think that they are going to do blanket bans... or maybe not. There is much opposition and I doubt many follow the rules in certain locations now.

Good luck F sharp minor.

#8 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3953 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 11 October 2020 - 21:04

I'm being pretty circumspect in the plans I'm making for this week. Though we're not expecting anying really drastic. I would really like to see my sister on her afternoon off because her teaching job is particularly difficult at the moment. And two friends have offered me apples. I've said that if we can't meet then maybe we can do a ransom style drop in aprearranged location!

#9 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2339 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 21:31

My neighbours didn't do lockdown the first time around, back in the spring. They had visitors all the time, frequently staying overnight. I doubt there will be much difference this time!

#10 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2068 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:06

We've just taken an elderly relative out for a birthday meal in an area where we aren't allowed to go into her home to visit her. So we took her to a restaurant where she would come into contact with far more people. Her choice!

Well, the difference is that restaurants are legally obliged to maintain social distancing, sanitize tables and toilets, to take customers' details for track and trace, and so on. There are no such obligations on home owners, which is why restaurants should actually be safer. Surveys suggest that the most dangerous places to spend more than just a few minutes are other people's homes.

#11 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3953 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:34

But in a restaurant you can't control what other people do. And you're in a confined space with potentially a lot of different people. If you're careful in your own home then it's clearly a lot safer.

#12 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2068 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:19

But in a restaurant you can't control what other people do. And you're in a confined space with potentially a lot of different people. If you're careful in your own home then it's clearly a lot safer.

In all the restaurants we've been in over the last 12 weeks, people are safely distanced. In many of them, we have been the only customers! The government have been asked for evidence that the hospitality industry is a source of increased risk, and they have not been able to provide any.

We weren't, incidentally, discussing risk in one's own home - we were discussing the risk of going to an elderly relative's home. Infection in the home, particularly in multi-generation housholds, remains one of the major sources of transmission.

#13 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3953 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:39

Nevertheless, you can control what happens in your home in a way that you can't in a restaurant, or any public place. I've been to four cafes, one of which was crowded. I didn't feel relaxed in any of them. Anyone could have had Covid, and I was in the same room as them for an extended time. It felt really irresponsible. I only went because the people I was with really needed some time out. The only cafe I've looked was when we sat out side.

#14 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7173 posts
  • Here

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:44

I've been out to restaurants about 10 times since the easing of lockdown and have generally felt safe as tables were well distanced and staff were wearing masks. Mr corenfa and I keep going to the same places though so it's not necessarily an unbiased sample.

I've also been to campus to study a few times, and social distancing is practised, with staff coming around to enforce the maximum number of people to a table (2), and other staff members walking around with sanitizer spray and cleaning door handles, etc.

#15 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2339 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:58

The restaurant we went to yesterday was quite busy and personally I didn't think the tables were spaced out enough. It wasn't my choice of restaurant - it was in an area we don't live.