Photo

Anyone thinking about Autumn term exams?

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#166 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10779 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:49

Congratulations, hennylemon. :)

#167 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:53

Thanks, everyone, for your positive comments.  Yes, I had great fun learning and choreographing the programme and I appreciate that nerves got in the way so my performance in the exam was nowhere near what I can produce in front of an audience. 

Why is performing in front of one examiner so much more frightening that performing to a roomful of people?

The mark sheet has given me some excellent insight into what I have to work on before I contemplate Diploma (gulp!).

#168 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:47

Andante _ in _ c and Sylvette

Same for me, marks lower than I expected and for the first time the marks given for my pieces were the lowest. My teacher was all for me appealing/taking it again and in the earlier grades I prob would have but I’ve come to realise exactly what you’ve both said that the exam is just one persons opinion of how you played on the day and it’s the work/ learning/ musical journey etc that’s more important.

Onwards and upwards I say :piano:

#169 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 19 December 2018 - 15:17

Congratulations, hennylemon. smile.png

Thank you smile.png

I saw my teacher yesterday who told me the breakdown of my results. My songs were pretty much as expected; my a cappella song (technical req you do instead of scales etc.) was a couple of marks lower than I thought though. My aural was also how I thought it would be - 10!! rolleyes.gif blush.png The thing I'm most chuffed about is my sight-singing, for which I scored 17! While not the most amazing of marks, I find sight-singing super hard and actually failed that part of my exam last year. So I guess I was too focused on practising sight-singing whereas I should have perhaps distributed my attention more evenly between sight-singing and aural. Oh well, there's always next time. cool.png

#170 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 19 December 2018 - 19:46

Congratulations, everyone, on their exam passes! I'm impressed with the positive attitudes on display, and the reminder that it's all a journey. Very important to remember for us all.

For now, I hope you can all bask in the glory of an exam pass, and relax and enjoy focussing on something new or different for a while.

#171 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 19 December 2018 - 21:41

Why is performing in front of one examiner so much more frightening that performing to a roomful of people?

I often ask the same thing. I wonder if it's because when we perform our audience doesn't generally know more about our art than we do. You can 'razzle dazzle' an audience to some extent. At my last concert I did a pseudo-burlesque number and made one of our spectating choir tenors positively squirm when I wrapped my feather boa around his neck. In many ways, I hide behind the characters I play. I don't think I'd have got away with that with the examiner, somehow.

#172 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:50

I often ask the same thing. I wonder if it's because when we perform our audience doesn't generally know more about our art than we do. You can 'razzle dazzle' an audience to some extent. At my last concert I did a pseudo-burlesque number and made one of our spectating choir tenors positively squirm when I wrapped my feather boa around his neck. In many ways, I hide behind the characters I play. I don't think I'd have got away with that with the examiner, somehow.

I think performing to just one person is more artificial compared to a 'proper' audience. It's very intimate compared to a room full of people. 

#173 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 20 December 2018 - 14:47

I think performing to just one person is more artificial compared to a 'proper' audience. It's very intimate compared to a room full of people. 

Yes, I think you are both right, plus the feeling that the audience is there to be entertained and have a good time, whereas the examiner is there explicitly to judge.

#174 Thepianist

Thepianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Member: 893388

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:52

Hi all,

Happy new year to everyone! Well done to everyone in their resulta. I haven't been on here for a while. I took my ABRSM grade 7 in March and got a high merit and recently took trinity grade 7 and i had a mark of 76/100. Annoyed as i got nervous and messed up 2 pieces, now on to Grade 8 in both again. Ornaments with my weaker hand is a killer but will get there.

#175 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Member: 416492

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:36

Hi all,

Happy new year to everyone! Well done to everyone in their resulta. I haven't been on here for a while. I took my ABRSM grade 7 in March and got a high merit and recently took trinity grade 7 and i had a mark of 76/100. Annoyed as i got nervous and messed up 2 pieces, now on to Grade 8 in both again. Ornaments with my weaker hand is a killer but will get there.

Congratulations on your results :) what's your reasoning for doing the same grade with two different boards, if you don't mind me asking? I've not heard of anyone doing that before. 

#176 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:36

Hi all,

Congratulations on your results smile.png what's your reasoning for doing the same grade with two different boards, if you don't mind me asking? I've not heard of anyone doing that before. 

This is very interesting actually, especially as both exams were the same grade and the same instrument! Thepianist, what are your experiences of both boards like? 

#177 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:55

Hi Thepianist, I am also interested in your doing 2 exams with 2 boards. Is it due to repertoire choices?

Well done on your results.

#178 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts
  • Member: 73855

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:16

Got my Grade 8 piano result this afternoon. It is several marks lower than I thought my lowest mark might be, and , although it is a safe pass in total, the marks are skewed by high sight reading and aural marks. Two of the pieces were absolute disasters. I'm not sure what to do next, to be honest. I could resit next term with the same pieces, or go for it again with new pieces from the 2019-2020 syllabus. Or I could leave it.

It is much the same as my Grade 7 - higher marks overall, but I just can't seem to play the pieces to anywhere near the required standard.

Congratulations on passing your Grade 8! Sorry you felt disappointed with the result. the first time I took Grade 8 piano I passed with a 101, but only because my sight reading was very, very good! My pieces were either fails or just on the pass mark - I never really felt like I had properly passed it so I understand some of your feelings. It took me a long time to decide to actually retake, over 20 years in fact, with a much more successful result.  I think what swayed me in the end was that I realised that I would probably never have take a diploma so it was actually my last ever piano exam and I wanted to end on a better note(no pun intended)! I was glad that I did it as it drew a line under it, but that was an entirely personal decision and it depends on how much it bothers you.  Obviously for me it bothered me enough to eventually retake but only 20 years later when the pieces happened to suit me (and I'd conquered aural for my grade 8 oboe).Maybe leave the whole thing for a year or two and see how you feel.

#179 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10779 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 03 January 2019 - 13:30

Thanks for those helpful comments, flobiano. I've had time to process the result now (although I haven't yet seen the mark sheet) and I'm going to accept it as a safe Grade 8 pass, which is what is was (my total was 111) and move on. I am pretty sure that the underlying problems were technical ones, and so I am aiming to improve my technique so that I can make music on the piano rather than just aim to get my fingers around the notes. I'm beginning to look at selection of pieces ranging from Grade 6 to Grade 8+, and I am really thankful not to have the two-year time pressure that piano grade exams have placed upon me. I can see where the journey takes me and admire the view on the way. :)

#180 flobiano

flobiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts
  • Member: 73855

Posted 03 January 2019 - 15:35

Thanks for those helpful comments, flobiano. I've had time to process the result now (although I haven't yet seen the mark sheet) and I'm going to accept it as a safe Grade 8 pass, which is what is was (my total was 111) and move on. I am pretty sure that the underlying problems were technical ones, and so I am aiming to improve my technique so that I can make music on the piano rather than just aim to get my fingers around the notes. I'm beginning to look at selection of pieces ranging from Grade 6 to Grade 8+, and I am really thankful not to have the two-year time pressure that piano grade exams have placed upon me. I can see where the journey takes me and admire the view on the way. smile.png

That sounds like a good plan.  You achieved a good solid pass which is definitely something to be proud of.  There is certainly lots of good piano music to play around that standard.  I've really enjoyed just exploring repertoire on both piano and oboe without being constrained by exam syllabi or timetables!