MaggieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Member: 206317
  • Warwickshire

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:22

HI,  I can't seem to get hold of the new Piano Syllabus for 2021/22. 

Is there anyway I can procure one? 

Thank you.

Sorry, since posting I have found the download version. Thanks.  

I'd also like it confirmed  that those working on the 2019/20 Piano syllabus is now extended to 2021?    

Thanks. 

#2 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Member: 288071
  • South West

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:16

Thank you.

I'd also like it confirmed  that those working on the 2019/20 Piano syllabus is now extended to 2021?    

Thanks. 

The overlap period is now a year so 2019/20 pieces can be played until the end of 2021.

But be careful: if you play 2019/20 pieces next year you must prepare the 2019/20 scales.

If you play the new 2021/22 pieces you must prepare the new 2021/22 scales.

#3 MaggieH

MaggieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Member: 206317
  • Warwickshire

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:00

Thank you.

Thanks. 

The overlap period is now a year so 2019/20 pieces can be played until the end of 2021.

But be careful: if you play 2019/20 pieces next year you must prepare the 2019/20 scales.

If you play the new 2021/22 pieces you must prepare the new 2021/22 scales.

Thank you so much for your information,  most appreciated. 

And also have observed the scales for 2021/22.  

#4 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5343 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 July 2020 - 20:32

I tried (without success) to get the new syllabus + regs booklets for ABRSM and Trinity when I went music shopping today for the first time in months. Bit annoying because that's one of the reasons I went. I'd really rather not have to download and print off such details.
All the new publications are there, including the rather pointless early grade scale books: all of about 3 pages long- why not make one book for grades 1-4 and another 5-8?
Ah, I see...
And why the change from Grade 1 to 'Initial'?
No doubt this has been discussed at length but I now have beginners approaching G1 standard.

#5 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6381 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:01

No doubt this has been discussed at length but I now have beginners approaching G1 standard.

Isn't Initial an extra exam? I don't think it's meant to replace G1 - it's more like Prep Test standard. Unless there have been yet more changes that I'm not up to date with....

#6 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • South West

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:37

Isn't Initial an extra exam? I don't think it's meant to replace G1 - it's more like Prep Test standard. Unless there have been yet more changes that I'm not up to date with....

Indeed, "Initial" is an extra exam Pre-Grade 1.

#7 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5343 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:43

The bookstand had AB graded piano books from 'In' to Grade 8, but there were no G1 books in between 'In' and G2.
I know Trinity have had an 'Initial' grade pre-G 1 which I took to be their version of the AB's Prep test.
I find this confusing because I don't want to purchase the wrong book for my candidates. If they'd had copies of the syllabus and regs booklets available I could have checked - but they didn't. I don't know whether the fault lies with AB or the music shop.
I daresay I could have checked on my phone but it didn't occur to me at the time (maybe the 6th shot of hand sanitizer on that shopping trip had rendered me intoxicated...)

#8 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18253 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 20 July 2020 - 13:24

The bookstand had AB graded piano books from 'In' to Grade 8, but there were no G1 books in between 'In' and G2.
I know Trinity have had an 'Initial' grade pre-G 1 which I took to be their version of the AB's Prep test.
I find this confusing because I don't want to purchase the wrong book for my candidates. If they'd had copies of the syllabus and regs booklets available I could have checked - but they didn't. I don't know whether the fault lies with AB or the music shop.
I daresay I could have checked on my phone but it didn't occur to me at the time (maybe the 6th shot of hand sanitizer on that shopping trip had rendered me intoxicated...)

ABRSM did announce a delay in Grade 1 books of about a month I think, thats why no Grade 1 books on the shelf

#9 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5343 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 20 July 2020 - 16:45

Ah - that explains it. Good thing I didn't purchase the Initial books, then.
It would have been helpful if the shop had left a space to make it clear that there was more to come.

#10 jane477

jane477

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 900295

Posted 23 July 2020 - 19:03

I know Trinity have had an 'Initial' grade pre-G 1 which I took to be their version of the AB's Prep test. https://get-thesis.c...research-design

ABRSM did announce a delay in Grade 1 books of about a month I think, thats why no Grade 1 books on the shelf

Hello, I'm sorry if I'm jumping over my head here but why did the Grade 1 books got delayed?

#11 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • South West

Posted 23 July 2020 - 21:17

No explanation to my knowledge given but I would strongly suspect a printing error...