#22936 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4020 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:51

Yep - either he does it or his wife does - they are always cleaning something. I'm too busy living my best life and at least trying to be amazing for that lark!

It saves water if you wait for it to rain. Save the planet and all that.

I like your thinking.

#22937 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:57

I give my car its twice-yearly wash when it's raining heavily.  It's actually much easier than trying to do it in brilliant sunshine.

#22938 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1812 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:20

I have one window, out of the thirty (aarrgh!) that maybe get washed once a year, that doesn't open and is impossible to clean without a high ladder. I can state confidently that no amount of rain cleans it.

I did research magnetic gadgets that are designed for inaccessible windows but they mostly had dubious reviews.

I'm very height phobic otherwise I could straddle the adjoining opening window and just about manage it. In fact, I think my fear of heights developed from watching the lovely lady who used to mind me as a child, sitting on a third floor ledge of a sash window to clean it. My hand has gone clammy just remembering this!

#22939 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:37

My hand has gone clammy just remembering this!

Me too. And I never saw it. You stay firmly on the ground dorfmouse!!! :)

#22940 zwhe

zwhe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:38

I have to confess I have never washed the outside of my upstairs windows, and I've been in this house for 14 years. In my defence, they are so rotten, I'm pretty sure it would break them. Bits fall off in heavy rain. I am going to get ones that swing round for cleaning when they are replaced, hopefully in the next couple of years. Its going to cost a fortune as I have the original sash windows still and the house wasn't built well so some of them are very wonky - one window is 5cm higher on one side than the other, so there will need to be some work on the holes to make them straight. At least the roof and walls are now safe and keeping the rain out!

#22941 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 28 July 2021 - 13:26

Polish plumber: Your kitchen is very old.

Me: Yes - it was here in the 1980s when we moved in. But it does the job - it's fine.

Plumber: You are delusional. :lol:

I spent my childhood lightweight camping. The kitchen is luxurious! 

I'll raise you my mother's (Australian) kitchen - which was there when they moved in in the early 70s.  When she once got someone to quote for updating it, they looked briefly then went into the dining room and started explaining how they'd move it ...

My parents actually put a 2nd storey on, so major renovations, in the 90s, but the kitchen works so it was left alone.  Finally my mother is trying to pack up and sell up to move back to the UK, she's had some repairs and touch ups done, but other than repainting the cupboards the kitchen is the one thing being left for a buyer to decide what they actually want to do.  Thing is, although it is small, one whole side is wooden cupboards, so the carcasses are less than half the thickness of modern MDF etc, and there is one set under the work surface and not one but two sets above up to a high ceiling.  Very practical!  I feel I have less storage in a slightly bigger kitchen despite having a pantry.

#22942 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 28 July 2021 - 13:28

I give my car its twice-yearly wash when it's raining heavily.  It's actually much easier than trying to do it in brilliant sunshine.

I liked this idea so much I just invited my 16 yr old to don swimming trunks and do them.

He was very quick to suggest he was happy to do them as long as someone kept him company ...

#22943 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 28 July 2021 - 13:37

Yep - either he does it or his wife does - they are always cleaning something. I'm too busy living my best life and at least trying to be amazing for that lark!

It saves water if you wait for it to rain. Save the planet and all that.

+1

#22944 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 28 July 2021 - 13:41

I have to confess I have never washed the outside of my upstairs windows, and I've been in this house for 14 years. In my defence, they are so rotten, I'm pretty sure it would break them. Bits fall off in heavy rain. I am going to get ones that swing round for cleaning when they are replaced, hopefully in the next couple of years. Its going to cost a fortune as I have the original sash windows still and the house wasn't built well so some of them are very wonky - one window is 5cm higher on one side than the other, so there will need to be some work on the holes to make them straight. At least the roof and walls are now safe and keeping the rain out!

There is one window in my house that's an absolute pain to wash from the outside unless I use one of these telescopic thingies. I recently noticed that there's condensation between the panes of that window and my first thought was "I'll need to get this replaced so that means I don't have to clean it now!". Needless to say I haven't had it replaced nor cleaned it yet!

#22945 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8708 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 28 July 2021 - 14:48

My car gets cleaned by my brother when he comes on his yearly summer visit. Because of covid he hasn't been able to come this year, nor last .......

I don't clean windows. There are 13 in this house plus 7 doors with glass panes. Sometimes I think that maybe I should ....

#22946 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5730 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 28 July 2021 - 15:05

At least you know how many windows you have. That's the planning stage. I haven't even got as far as that! :lol:

#22947 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8708 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 28 July 2021 - 15:14

I had to sit and calculate though! It wasn't a natural reflex!

#22948 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18982 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 28 July 2021 - 15:18

We have 14 and two glazed doors. Mrs does the downstairs ones regularly.  The upstairs rarely but they can be done, by leaning out of one to do others.

#22949 zwhe

zwhe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 28 July 2021 - 21:18

Had a nice evening at a friends house. Its the first time I've been anywhere except my parents for a long time. It felt very weird walking into a room with 5 other people - such a crowd!

#22950 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18982 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 30 July 2021 - 20:20

Having listened to two old favourites of mine in the same programme from The First Night of the Proms' on TV. Firstly we had Vaughan Williams 'Serenade to Music'  and then a magnificent performance of the Poulenc Organ Concerto  (soloist Daniel Hyde from Kings College Cambridge) .  BBC SO conducted by the delightful Daria Stasevska.