Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 06 August 2019 - 16:39

We have a thread for cat-lovers - but not one for other critters (until now).

My gorgeous winter white dwarf hamster developed a bulging eye yesterday - cue urgent vet appointment today. It is probably an abscess, but could be a tumour. Poor little critter had to have an injection in her head - I have never heard her screech like that before! - and I am to give her antibiotics daily via her water bottle for a week. She still managed to steal the hearts of the reception staff and other people waiting, though. Thank goodness for our lovely vet. wub.png

#2 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 06 August 2019 - 17:14

Hope it is nothing nasty!

Actually, I thought this thread would be about grandchildren!

#3 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3744 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 06 August 2019 - 17:16

My granddaughter told me yesterday after I'd looked after her for several hours that she had "little critters" in her hair!

#4 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17663 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 06 August 2019 - 19:07

My granddaughter told me yesterday after I'd looked after her for several hours that she had "little critters" in her hair!

Has the 'nit nurse' been round?

#5 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3744 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 06 August 2019 - 19:09

Don't think they have that any more. Her mum's going to treat it with some product. I seem to remember I just kept combing my son's hair with a nit comb till it broke the cycle.

#6 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 06 August 2019 - 19:54

A nitty gritty is what you want. Metal tines that get the eggs and the lice. If you do it right you only need to do it once.

#7 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7844 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:26

Misterioso, I do hope your little dwarf hamster gets better very quickly.

#8 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6729 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:38

Ah, I remember the pet rats I had over the years so well.  Prone to respiratory infections, they'd have antibiotics by mouth with a syringe (no needle!)  When they were feeling grotty, nice and easy, but as the antibiotics had an effect and they got better, getting the stuff in their mouths was a battle :D  Ultimate weapon in that regard was Hipp chicken and vegetable baby food - one teaspoon of that with the necessary few drops of antibiotics in would be gone in a flash :rofl:

#9 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4658 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:15

My herbaceous border has turned into a "plants for pollinators propagation bed" since I planted it up with things for bees and butterflies. Loads of different types and sizes of bees and hoverflies. Pupils all going off with divided plants and seeds to make their own pollinator gardens! What fun! smile.png

#10 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6582 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:47

Ah, I remember the pet rats I had over the years so well.  Prone to respiratory infections, they'd have antibiotics by mouth with a syringe (no needle!)  When they were feeling grotty, nice and easy, but as the antibiotics had an effect and they got better, getting the stuff in their mouths was a battle biggrin.png  Ultimate weapon in that regard was Hipp chicken and vegetable baby food - one teaspoon of that with the necessary few drops of antibiotics in would be gone in a flash rofl.gif

Our second (and last!) hamster was like this. She developed a cough just as we were going on hols. So I decided to take her to the vet as she was going into hamster "kennels" and I was worried they'd turn her away if she was poorly. Vet prescribed and gave antibiotics that cost 3 times the price of the original hamster blink.png  and when vet tried to administer into her mouth from a syringe the hamster bared her fangs and hissed at the vet! I think we managed to get 3 doses in her - vet's dose, 1 on a teaspoon and 1 on a bit of strawberry. She was a vicious and suspicious little hamster - very cute though. smile.png

#11 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4658 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 18:51

I've just found a toad underneath my rhubarb! smile.png

#12 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7844 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 14:32

That's very nice Norway.  I haven't seen my toads for some weeks - probably because of the hot, dry weather. I know I have at least three.

#13 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4658 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 15:14

Do they have names?

#14 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 09 August 2019 - 15:38

I saw what was probably a marten a day or two ago, rushing across the path in front of my bike. They are not popular here as they sometimes fancy what turns out to be a very expensive breakfast. They like to chew through cables in cars. Do they do that in Britain too or are they fussier about their diet?

#15 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7844 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 21:08

Do they have names?

Big Toad, Middle Toad and Tiny Toad.