#1 sally anthony

sally anthony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Member: 2156
  • Lincolnshire

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:36

Years ago I purchased the sight reading books online, but it’s telling me the app is no longer available through the App Store. Does anyone know why? Surely they can’t just remove an app that we paid for?

#2 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1126 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:34

Do you mean this one? It seems to still be available:

https://apps.apple.c...er/id1203306285

#3 DMC

DMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:04

I wonder if you mean the Wessar app? I bought this back in 2013/14. You could buy the ABRSM sight reading Grades 1-8 for £35, and it would show them on the screen, and take bars away as you went along. It was brilliant. Then the developer one day decided not to update it, rendering the app useless, and without access to the sight reading books I'd paid for. Apple didn't want to know so I couldn't get the money back. I contacted the company Wessar and they kept telling me that they were going to relaunch the app soon. This was 2 years ago. 

A shame as it was a good app.

#4 R-W

R-W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Member: 895673

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:40

Never used the ABRSM app (didn't even know there was one!). But if you're looking for a recommendation, I really like 'sight reading factory' for a sight reading app.

It's American, but you can set up your own parameters in there, specifying allowed intervals, number of bars, time and key sigs, dynamics, note/rest values, ties, slurs etc (I set up my own configurations for grades 1-5 or 'easy tenor clef' etc..). It costs about $20 for a year's subscription and produces endless compositions at the touch of a button. It has been invaluable to me throughout my grades and if I get any vaguely respectable SR mark in my next exam it will be because of this!

The only thing I have found that I can't do in there that I would want to, is hooked bowing or specifying up or down bows.

#5 tangoallegro

tangoallegro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 898194

Posted 08 October 2019 - 16:12

I wonder if you mean the Wessar app? I bought this back in 2013/14. You could buy the ABRSM sight reading Grades 1-8 for £35, and it would show them on the screen, and take bars away as you went along. It was brilliant. Then the developer one day decided not to update it, rendering the app useless, and without access to the sight reading books I'd paid for. Apple didn't want to know so I couldn't get the money back. I contacted the company Wessar and they kept telling me that they were going to relaunch the app soon. This was 2 years ago. 

A shame as it was a good app.

The same thing happened to me. I was upset not to be able to use it anymore, it was brilliant I agree.

#6 edgmusic

edgmusic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Member: 77428

Posted 08 October 2019 - 17:18

I can still use the Wessar app
which I downloaded on my original Ipad when it was first released..

Very useful. Such a shame it's no longer available.

#7 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7806 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 08 October 2019 - 19:55

Slightly of topic but it is also such a shame that the flute exam pieces are published with downloads rather than CDs. Downloads are in many cases totally useless.

Just over half  of my pupils have no access to  computers,  ipads or smartphones.  Some others live in zones where internet connections are unreliable.There should at least be the option to buy CD recordings.