#1 peterhontaru

peterhontaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 899767

Posted 26 September 2019 - 22:52

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself - I'm Peter and started playing piano in Jan 2018 after I pretty much considered it for most of my life but did not take up on it, mainly due to lack of finance (been a student most my life) as well as silly excuses like "if you did not start when you were young..."

However, I decided to take up group lessons soon after I graduated university and got a full time job. I then took up group lessons for a year and as of Jan 2019, started taking up piano lessons via Skype (works better than I would've thought).

Considering that I just managed to put together a video of my first year last week, I thought it would be fitting to share my progress from the beginning to the end of 2018, just after I took the ABRSM grade 3 exam (managed to receive distinction). It would show more than I would be able to tell in words.

*on a second thought, I removed the link as I wouldn't want people to think I'm here to promote myself. If you're really interested, PM me*

I am now working to prepare for ABRSM grade 5 which I will be taking mid November and also doing some live amateur recitals which I really enjoy. I have finished learning the pieces but definitely need to brush up on them since I'm hopefully aiming for a high mark.

Please do let me me know if there's anyone else taking Grade 5 this year - would love to chat with you.

#2 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 27 September 2019 - 05:48

Hi Peter and welcome.  Congratulations on your seemingly very successful journey (certainly puts me to shame!).  Well done on your excellent grade 3 result and no doubt for your planned grade 5! :clap:

#3 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6175 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:56

Welcome to the forum! Have fun and all the best in your pianistic endeavours.

#4 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:32

Welcome! I hope you've also seen the thread where people are discussing the exams they're doing this autumn? You'll be in very good company! So pleased you have taken up playing the instrument you love. Like you, I spent too much time not doing so, even though I always had a burning desire. Admittedly I did leave my decision later than I assume you did (based on your profile pic!) but it's the best decision I ever made, and I am sure you will enjoy your musical journey!

#5 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from the Rhubarb Triangle, Heavy Woollen District, Yorkshire

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:56

Welcome Peter.

#6 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1917 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:46

Welcome Peter, and congratulations on your journey so far. Hope your Grade 5 goes well :fingersCrossed:

#7 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:51

Hi Peter, welcome and happy playing!

#8 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 27 September 2019 - 13:36

Welcome!  I'm glad to see you over here - I suspect this is a better venue for someone with your level of dedication and seriousness.

#9 peterhontaru

peterhontaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 23:16

Hi everyone - thanks for the warm welcome! :) 

Hi Peter and welcome.  Congratulations on your seemingly very successful journey (certainly puts me to shame!).  Well done on your excellent grade 3 result and no doubt for your planned grade 5! :clap:

Thank you - it was not easy but although a bit rushed on my side (ironically) - it's not a sprint but a marathon. Getting grade 3/grade 5 faster does not make me a better player and you should be very proud of your accomplishment!  It simply just is one exam mark, that's all!

Welcome to the forum! Have fun and all the best in your pianistic endeavours.

Thank you - definitely looking to grow in the future and hopefully help/inspire others at the same time!

Welcome! I hope you've also seen the thread where people are discussing the exams they're doing this autumn? You'll be in very good company! So pleased you have taken up playing the instrument you love. Like you, I spent too much time not doing so, even though I always had a burning desire. Admittedly I did leave my decision later than I assume you did (based on your profile pic!) but it's the best decision I ever made, and I am sure you will enjoy your musical journey!

Yes - will definitely catch up on the discussion and use that thread as well in the future. It's better late than never. I started at 24 and 1/2 and while it is late by piano standards, I am so glad I took the plunge now and hopefully grow with it!

Welcome!  I'm glad to see you over here - I suspect this is a better venue for someone with your level of dedication and seriousness.

Glad to see you again and thanks for the advice to come over here as well. Your kind message is greatly appreciated, particularly from someone with your dedication and work ethic as well.

#10 MaggieH

MaggieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Member: 206317
  • Warwickshire

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:09

Hi Peter,   that is wonderful  you have taken on piano lessons and achieved so much in a short space of time.   You are never too old to start, better late than  never.   

It seems you started a year ago, am I right is assuming that you skipped grades 1 and 2 and went straight into grade 3?  Which pieces did you choose?   How are you at reading music in such a short space of time, did you have previous training?     You need music theory before taking grade 5.   It sounds fantastic that you are already playing grade 5 pieces and aiming for the exam in November.   I'm not even there yet.   Which pieces have you chosen?   I think you have a special gift for memorising.   Best wishes.

I love reading about  peoples enthusiasm, it keeps me going. 

:)

#11 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:36

Welcome to the forums! What pieces did you pick for Grade 1? 

#12 peterhontaru

peterhontaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 20:23

Hi Peter,   that is wonderful  you have taken on piano lessons and achieved so much in a short space of time.   You are never too old to start, better late than  never.   

It seems you started a year ago, am I right is assuming that you skipped grades 1 and 2 and went straight into grade 3?  Which pieces did you choose?   How are you at reading music in such a short space of time, did you have previous training?     You need music theory before taking grade 5.   It sounds fantastic that you are already playing grade 5 pieces and aiming for the exam in November.   I'm not even there yet.   Which pieces have you chosen?   I think you have a special gift for memorising.   Best wishes.

I love reading about  peoples enthusiasm, it keeps me going. 

:)

Hi Maggie - it also motivates me to know that other people find enjoyment/get motivated from my content so thank you very much for the kind words.

That is correct indeed, I did skip grade 1 and 2 and did grade 3 in Nov 2018. I chose the Mozart Eine Klein Nachtmusik and the Tom Bowling piece for section B. You can find them in my one year progress recording at the following timestaps

04:28 - Mozart – Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
05:22 - Charles Dibdin – Tom Bowling

This year I will be doing the Haydn, Schumann and Poulenc video and I have an all in one recording as a latest video if interested on my channel (don't want to add too many links here but you should be able to find it easily)

My sight reading was pretty bad last year though as I did not train it too much but it did pick up this year (comfortable with grade 4 sight reading but definitely not 5 yet so playing serious catchup this last month). You don't need theory for grade 5, you only need theory from 6 upwards so will be aiming to do grade 5 theory after my grade 5 piano exam :)

I don't think I have a special gift for memorising - I know there's prodigies out there but I'm definitely not one of them. I do however like to "create stories" around music in order to make it easier to remember dynamics, fast passages, the order of passages etc and try and combined them that way.
"Oh here comes the second part with the E major"  or "here's the angry bit" or for example in the Schumann piece I like to delay the last chord a lot as I'd like to think that the author found it hard to say good bye (the piece is dedicated to Schumann's friend, Mendelssohn after he died) and so on.

I also enjoy the challenge of playing from memory so I guess that helps but I don't really find it very easy. I hope that in time as I learn even more music I will find even more connections and make it easier for myself.

Welcome to the forums! What pieces did you pick for Grade 1? 

Thank you very much thara :) I did not do Grade 1 so sorry I can't be of more help :(

#13 MaggieH

MaggieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Member: 206317
  • Warwickshire

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:44

''You don't need theory for grade 5, you only need theory from 6 upwards so will be aiming to do grade 5 theory after my grade 5 piano exam''  :)

Thank you Peter  for your correction and clarification , It was  my mistake about doing the required music theory before Grade 5.    
I have only learned a small amount of theory  and need to do more.   I have come across a marking that I'm not sure of.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grade 3, piano, grade 3 piano, adult beginner