#106 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:19

I wish you lot would all stop posting about your harp experiences. I've successfully resisted the temptation to get one for years but you're making it increasingly hard for me!

That's a lost battle, LoneM, you may as well give in now. Think of it as therapy!

#107 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7060 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 27 February 2021 - 13:35

I'd like to join the "would love a harp" gang.  My main concern would be my complete lack of ears for tuning, I couldn't do it with a stringed instrument when I was younger, I can only hear when I am waaaaaaaaaaaaay out on the recorder.  Though I suppose I'd be the only one listening... :D

#108 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 27 February 2021 - 14:29

Electronic tuners are cheap and simple to use. No ears needed. :)

#109 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 27 February 2021 - 19:13

I'd like to join the "would love a harp" gang.  My main concern would be my complete lack of ears for tuning, I couldn't do it with a stringed instrument when I was younger, I can only hear when I am waaaaaaaaaaaaay out on the recorder.  Though I suppose I'd be the only one listening... :D

You may simply use a digital tuner of your phone... 

So, now it's the best time to start finding your dream harp! To start with: what kind of music would you like to play on it?

#110 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7060 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 28 February 2021 - 15:46

Well, to be fair, I'd need to sort of harp that comes with a bigger house to put it in.  Absolutely no idea about harp music.  Just think they are nice :)

#111 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 28 February 2021 - 20:57

My teacher's concert harp lives in her small family living room. Get's quite crowded when I arrive with my lever harp!

#112 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:26

I'd like some opinions. I have a 26 string harpsicle harp (it's actually a fullsicle - Rees harps). When I bought it, I also bought a harp stand for it which it sits on during playing. However, I've seen harp sticks and I wondered if they'd be rather more manoeuvrable? I pack the harp away after each use as the collie has no care for her own personal safety! So, at the moment I'm not thinking of anything that allows the harp to be 'out' permanently. What do other people with small harps do? I've tried the strap and found it extremely uncomfortable so I don't want to go down that route again.

#113 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • The Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:18

Well, to be fair, I'd need to sort of harp that comes with a bigger house to put it in.  Absolutely no idea about harp music.  Just think they are nice :)

You could think of a real nice compact lever harp... 34 strings would be great, but there's quite a lot of music one can play on a 26 or 27 string harp (with a whole octave below middle C). Think of a Camac Odyssey. e.g.: https://youtu.be/vXqZLa9iCO8 and https://youtu.be/eofeshcj4Pk

#114 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • The Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:23

I'd like some opinions. I have a 26 string harpsicle harp (it's actually a fullsicle - Rees harps). When I bought it, I also bought a harp stand for it which it sits on during playing. However, I've seen harp sticks and I wondered if they'd be rather more manoeuvrable? I pack the harp away after each use as the collie has no care for her own personal safety! So, at the moment I'm not thinking of anything that allows the harp to be 'out' permanently. What do other people with small harps do? I've tried the strap and found it extremely uncomfortable so I don't want to go down that route again.

Harp sticks cut into the flesh of your legs.  I think a harp stand is most comfortable. 

Some people put the harp in a cupboard, between the cloths.  But as for a harpsicle, I would be tempted to hang it on a inner wall (not an outer wall, as the cold and/or moist could be harmful for the wood of the harp).

#115 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 01 March 2021 - 14:52

@sopsaxharpflute - Thank you! That's very useful to know. Storage isn't a problem as I have a harpsicle bag! And It sits on top of our music drawers. I'm getting better at putting it onto the stand as well. To start with I found it a bit scary! :rolleyes: