mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4901 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 21 October 2019 - 18:56

I'd say listen to your bod and if you can only do 10 mins comfortably, then so be it.
I'm sure you can utilise those 10 mins effectively so don't try to do too much or you may suffer a setback.
Add a minute or 2 per week, not per session; plenty of time to build up your stamina.

#20177 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 21 October 2019 - 21:22

feeling for you, f#minor - I hope your strength builds up soon (I'm sure it will).

#20178 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:39

I didn't even have open-heart surgery - just a minor heart-attack and 6 stents, yet it took a while to regain fitness. Even walking at a snail's pace was painful to begin with. Worry more about rehab than piano playing, F#. The treadmill at the gym is the best thing (you'll get cheap gym membership on the NHS)

#20179 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3343 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:34

Looking at songbooks for a new student. Found the perfect book, but it is out of print. Two different versions; one comes with CD accompaniment. Looking at second-hand sites, songbook is available for around £16 and songbook with CDs is available for around £20.

But looking closer, every single songbook with CD blurb says "CDs may not be available". That means it is "songbook" and not "songbook with CD". Why are you advertising it as songbook with CD, and selling it at a higher price?

#20180 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3343 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:40

This was a fairly prestigious competition with largish cash prizes so for that reason alone it matters that they play fair! But in any competition there is no point in having rules if they're going to be ignored, and it's especially unfair when people could have increased their score by ignoring the rules, add appears to have happened on this occasion. The judging criteria were very clear.

I once took part in a festival and two choirs were eliminated for going over time. We received third place.  When discussion took place of whether or not we deserved it, someone pointed out that we did deserve it because we sang well and obeyed the rules. True. What we never knew was whether we would have still come third if the other two choirs had not been eliminated.

I stopped taking my primary school choir to festivals because they always got upset when we didn't win. I only took my adult choirs on the condition that they treated it as a day out, and didn't expect to win. There will always be unfairness in the system, but I agree with you that rules are rules.

#20181 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7803 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 27 October 2019 - 15:11

It's going to get dark early this evening. That means that  the second half of the term will mean coming home from work  in the dark. That means manipulating car keys, school keys,torch, bag and dog lead in the dark - and no doubt often in the rain. I shall once again be celebrating the winter solstice and counting the days to lighter evenings. 

#20182 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 27 October 2019 - 17:07

Aquarelle beat me to my annual whinge! Plunged into darkness at 5 p.m today. And in another couple of weeks it'll be just as bad in the morning. I'm all for pagan feasts!

#20183 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4901 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 27 October 2019 - 17:34

....but the early evening skies are glorious!
Have just been playing for a memorial service and I like to think my music set the right mood - meditative, soothing but uplifting as people lit their candles.
Afterwards, stepping out of church into the dusk with the fiery sky overhead was just wonderful.

#20184 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17642 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:22

I'm waking up far too early !  :(

#20185 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7803 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:55

Yes, I'm waking up earlier but that might be because my kittens have not  yet changed the hour of their breakfast and -well- kittens climbing all over one's pillow is a nicer way of being woken than by the alarm. Actually it has meant longer mornings and more jobs getting done.

#20186 Catey

Catey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Member: 71060

Posted 28 October 2019 - 14:41

The joys of the half term holiday and waking up at 4:15am pretty much every day so far and not managing to get back to sleep. Makes for a very long, slightly unproductive day!

#20187 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2810 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 28 October 2019 - 16:48

What is wrong with Boots? When our chemist was part of a small chain they had a tiny staff, but you never had to wait more than a moment for your prescription. Since it became Boots they've moved into a huge shop with loads of staff and they are useless. They've had my prescription since last Friday (that's when they got it from the doctor's) but it still isn't ready to collect. They're always upping the ridiculously long time it'll take them to do anything. I wish we could go back to the old efficient chemist. They said their computer broke. Their ONE computer? Could explain a lot.

#20188 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7803 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 14:53

Woke up to find storm damage - no electricity and we have lost a tree. The pussy willow came down and how I slept through the noise it must have made I do not know. I played about with the various circuit breakers and found the circuit that seems to have been damaged so we have got some electricity back - thankfully the heating in my companion's room and the freezer. The electrician is coming tomorrow.

#20189 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7803 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 23:04

I got an early evening call from my electrician who said he was in the area as he had been taking his little grandson mushrooming and could he come and deal with the problem in five minutes time! What he found was a leak behind my washing machine and dishwasher. This had soaked the electrical gubbins and he thinks that was the problem; Being a plumber as well he mended the leak and gave me time to clear up that awful mess you always find on the floor when you move out one of those machines - or your fridge! Among other things i found a dead mouse. Anyway I have to give it all time to dry out and can turn on the circuit tomorrow morning to see if it works.

#20190 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5954 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 03 November 2019 - 23:47

Hope you're in full working order tomorrow, Aquarelle.