#1 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1917 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 13 November 2019 - 17:05

I've been given some "heated insoles" to go inside my shoes for when I'm playing with the band outdoors in winter.  The insoles contain iron powder, water, active carbon, cellulose and salt.  The heat is activated by oxygen so I haven't to open the pack until I need them.  Apparently the heat lasts for up to 6 hours.  I've never seen anything like this before - has anyone here used them?

#2 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6175 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 13 November 2019 - 17:11

I've used the hand equivalent (they go into gloves) when skiing

#3 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 13 November 2019 - 17:32

I've used similar things to comfort my poor arthritic hands.  Cold temperatures really irritate old Arthur.  (I'm too young for this!)

#4 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 13 November 2019 - 20:18

I have used the hand one before but never heard of insoles. I will have to do some research as it would be jolly handy for outdoor playing of carols at xmas.

#5 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1917 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 13 November 2019 - 20:48

I have used the hand one before but never heard of insoles. I will have to do some research as it would be jolly handy for outdoor playing of carols at xmas.

I gather they're at Lidl's this week - hand and foot warmers, plus the heated insoles.  £1.29, middle isle in the ski section.  One-time use only.

:)

#6 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6175 posts
  • Here

Posted 13 November 2019 - 21:43

One can get reusable ones too. They get reset by boiling them. 

#7 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:27

I've used the disposable insoles. Very effective indeed, very warm, and probably did last about 6 hours.

Was a big problem playing the oboe in cold conditions, cold face so you couldn't feel your embouchure, cold unresponsive reed and instrument, cold hands ….. Really don't know how brass players manage putting freezing cold metal mouthpieces to their lips!

#8 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:13

What about hand warmers? They are good at keeping you warm when you need it! Amazon sells them or you can find them in Boots, I think. 

#9 gemmasue

gemmasue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 14 November 2019 - 18:27

I have a rechargeable hand warmer, you charge it like a battery pack and it has two heat settings. I got it from Lakeland’s.

They need to invent a flute warmer though. Flutes are no fun in the cold, I’m convinced it’ll freeze to my chin one day! Not to fun in the heat either to be honest as they slide off sweaty chins!!

#10 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7103 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 14 November 2019 - 23:21

I have a rechargeable hand warmer, you charge it like a battery pack and it has two heat settings. I got it from Lakeland’s.
They need to invent a flute warmer though. Flutes are no fun in the cold, I’m convinced it’ll freeze to my chin one day! Not to fun in the heat either to be honest as they slide off sweaty chins!!

You can cover the chin side of the lip plate without it having any impact on the sound. Stops it sliding off your chin in hot weather. I have also know people use the foam plasters there for outdoor gigs in snow. Doesn't solve the temperature related tuning issues, though.

#11 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • UK

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:45

How much is it? I've been looking at hand warmers online but cannot decide! 

#12 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 15 November 2019 - 16:54

….. Really don't know how brass players manage putting freezing cold metal mouthpieces to their lips!

Sometimes the cold is a blessed relief from the burning of playing too high for too long. Of course, by that time the mouthpiece is also warm... Some players use plastic/composite mouthpieces for outdoor gigs, and some warm the mouthpiece in a pocket for a few  minutes.

#13 gemmasue

gemmasue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:10

The rechargeable hand warmer is called hot rox. I’ve just looked on amazon and they’re just under £20. Or you can pay a bit more for one that also acts as a power pack for charging devices. I find mine really good.

#14 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6175 posts
  • Here

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:23

I've used the disposable insoles. Very effective indeed, very warm, and probably did last about 6 hours.

Was a big problem playing the oboe in cold conditions, cold face so you couldn't feel your embouchure, cold unresponsive reed and instrument, cold hands ….. Really don't know how brass players manage putting freezing cold metal mouthpieces to their lips!

One solution to minimise the incidence of cold metal mouthpieces is to stash it somewhere next to one's skin, preferably on the torso. This is easier for female brass players like me, who usually wear garments that facilitate this. I used to do this when having to play in cold churches, when I was a horn player. 

#15 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • UK

Posted 16 November 2019 - 13:49

The rechargeable hand warmer is called hot rox. I’ve just looked on amazon and they’re just under £20. Or you can pay a bit more for one that also acts as a power pack for charging devices. I find mine really good.

Thanks!