#1 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:40

Does anyone know if it will be possible to sit this exam this term? On the main abrsm page it says they will update us about this on 21st May, but I can't find any more information.

I have someone desperate to take it.

#2 pianoviolinmum

pianoviolinmum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Member: 895582

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:13

My understanding is that it is only grades 6-8 in both theory and practical for those in year 13, because they may need these qualifications for progression of their academic studies.

I am hoping there will be a grade 5 theory exam in November, but haven't seen any mention yet. Early days?

#3 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:23

There's a problem with grade 5 theory though because people want to do a higher grade in the autumn. Perhaps they will be able to sit it in the same term for once.

#4 fionamck

fionamck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Member: 10620

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:16

Think I read somewhere about lower theory grades being available to sit ‘remotely’ in August but can’t find it now. ABRSM do seem to have a knack of making it hard to find information!!

#5 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4279 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:42

Think I read somewhere about lower theory grades being available to sit ‘remotely’ in August but can’t find it now. ABRSM do seem to have a knack of making it hard to find information!!

Was this what you were thinking off? (The quote in the first post).

https://forums.abrsm...topic=63299&hl=

#6 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4279 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:51

This has 4th July as the date for the theory exam but it seems to refer to grades 6 - 8 only.

The guidance PDF mentions how scales etc are to be chosen.

https://forums.abrsm...g/adaptedexams/

Weird the software keeps changing the URL, so go to

Our Exams - > click on the Find Out More button in the Covid-19 banner-> which takes you to the UK Updates page. Click on the Adapted Exams Here link in the first paragraph. And then click on the Guidance For Adapted Exams (2020) link.

#7 fionamck

fionamck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 13:58

Was this what you were thinking off? (The quote in the first post).

https://forums.abrsm...topic=63299&hl=

#8 fionamck

fionamck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 14:03

Ah possibly BadStrad, thank you for that. It just says more info by 21st May though which has passed now. I’m wondering as have a pupil in year 12 who I was planning to enter in June with a view to taking grade 6 practical at Christmas. As someone commented it’ll be interesting to see if grade 5 is still a requisite for the proposed new recorded exams. Will just have to wait and see I suppose what they decide to do once they’ve sorted out grades 6-8 for those who need results for uni admission.

#9 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 14:24

Why are they so useless at communication? Too busy writing silly things on FB but not keeping us up to date with important stuff.

#10 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Member: 94062

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:29

The update seems to be on today for 21 May.

Following the "link" as BadStrad describes above explains that the deadline for "expression of interest" in Grades 6-8 practical and theory for y13 (or equivalent) only is 5pm tomorrow, Tuesday 26 May - I just wanted to highlight this in case folk aren't following the link or getting info

Enjoy this sunny Bank Holiday!

#11 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 20:39

Update:

The first online Music Theory exam will be a live pilot taking place on 26 August. This will be a Grade 5 exam for candidates in the UK with a booking period of 27 to 31 July. The core knowledge and understanding assessed in the exam is not changing and candidates will be able to take the exam in any location where they have internet access. We will provide all the information you need for this exam, including how to book, in the week beginning 13 July.

#12 musicposy

musicposy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Member: 25798
  • West Sussex

Posted 03 July 2020 - 19:04

I’m thinking I might need to take this myself to find out what it entails as I have two G5 candidates for the autumn and otherwise won’t have a clue what to tell them. How do we think the transposing question is going to be done online? With a Sibelius type method? I suspect my candidates, who are only young, will struggle.

#13 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:18

I was wondering about transposing. Perhaps it will be a case of "spot the deliberate mistakes" or suchlike?

#14 fionamck

fionamck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:43

Think we need some more info about this before committing, they say the ‘core knowledge and understanding’ won’t change but the presentation and format of an online paper will clearly have to be different. It would be good to have access to a couple of specimen questions to see how it would look. All students will have been working through previous papers and are used to that format. I appreciate if they have studied the syllabus they should just be able to apply it but it could throw some students. Will it have to be taken at a set time? What happens if there are internet problems? How much will it cost? With no venue hire or stewards and invigilators to pay it should be cheaper, in theory (excuse the pun!) but this is ABRSM.... Will the result be out before the portal opens for the extended practical exam Session planned for November/ December I wonder? I think I will have to just go for it with one student as he’s waiting to take grade 6 but we need a clear explanation of the new format and how it will work.

#15 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1444 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:42

I was wondering about transposing. Perhaps it will be a case of "spot the deliberate mistakes" or suchlike?

Either that, or multiple choice.