125 replies to this topic

#16 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17773 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 28 November 2019 - 19:20

While we're at it... People who upon hearing I play the piano, ask "can you play Einaudi/Yiruma/Richard Clayderman"

Nothing against other people wanting to play those, I just don't.

I agree , those composers I will never touch. Trivial stuff hyped up by radio etc. Little music content . 

#17 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2869 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 28 November 2019 - 19:26

Having to look for instrumental pieces under "songs" in some sheet music sites.

And pupils who refer to their pieces as songs. I always say 'Oh, are you going to sing it?'. That usually does the trick!

#18 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 28 November 2019 - 20:05

Sorry that made me laugh!

#19 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:08

"Rising to a crescendo"

Another vote for this one!! Gaaahhhhh!!!!!  :)

#20 DMC

DMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:09

While we're at it... People who upon hearing I play the piano, ask "can you play Einaudi/Yiruma/Richard Clayderman"

Nothing against other people wanting to play those, I just don't.

I agree , those composers I will never touch. Trivial stuff hyped up by radio etc. Little music content . 

Crikey you'd have freaked at Miles Davis :-) 

#21 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4747 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:20

Contemporary music concerts/ workshops/ projects which get inflicted on children (because adults wouldn't tolerate it).

#22 DMC

DMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:50

Whilst I'm no great fan of Einaudi, wish his pieces were at least half the length, and consider them a useful cure for insomnia, he is often the first port of call for independent learning from teenagers who otherwise might give up. 

The fact they are taking their skills from Piano lessons and transfer them to music of their own choice, regardless of my opinion of them, should be celebrated.

There's a lot of scope in his material for work on technique - for example, tonal balance between the hands, that can then be applied to other works such as Chopin or Fields' Nocturnes. 

#23 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2869 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:55

Contemporary music concerts/ workshops/ projects which get inflicted on children (because adults wouldn't tolerate it).

:o

#24 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:09

I saw a poster advertising a music school which used a picture of a chap playing a French horn. It was flipped so the horn was facing the wrong way. It was the fact it was a music school ad that bugged me, they really ought to have known better!

People who still refer to the horn as a "French" horn (sorry, corenfa). Almost all hornists have used German horns since the 1950s, and the instruments are now (even by the ABRSM) properly referred to as simply horns. The rotary valves of the German horn have been considered far superior to the piston valves of the French horn ever since the days of Dennis Brain. The International Horn Society declared back in 1971 that horn be recognized as the formal name for the instrument in the English language.

Reminds me of my favourite missing comma – Britten's 'Serenade for tenor horn and strings'

#25 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6205 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:57

Whilst I'm no great fan of Einaudi, wish his pieces were at least half the length, and consider them a useful cure for insomnia, he is often the first port of call for independent learning from teenagers who otherwise might give up.
The fact they are taking their skills from Piano lessons and transfer them to music of their own choice, regardless of my opinion of them, should be celebrated.

There's a lot of scope in his material for work on technique - for example, tonal balance between the hands, that can then be applied to other works such as Chopin or Fields' Nocturnes.

Indeed. Which is why I don't mind if other people play them. But I have no desire to do so myself.

#26 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1330 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 29 November 2019 - 13:20

Musical toys that don't work.

OK, I don't expect a £5 bit of plastic to sound like a £3000 hand-made flute, but it'd be nice if the notes of a toy xylophone were actually in the right order. Being vaguely in tune would be a bonus, but let's start by having the note getting higher from one end to the other. And if you're going to go to the trouble of making a plastic moulding the shape of an ocarina, complete with finger-holes, what on earth is the point of giving it an internal partition such that it's basically a poor-quality whistle disguised as an ocarina. Just make an ocarina. Even if it doesn't follow any known tuning or fingering scheme, being able to change the pitch of the note by blocking the holes would be far more helpful and realistic than just having a vague, nasty, unchangeable whistle. And as for electronic keyboards aimed at the very small - what half-baked toy-designer ever had the idea that small kids only play one note at once? Of course they're going to press multiple keys. Modern electronics ought to be up to the job of responding with multiple notes.

#27 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 29 November 2019 - 13:29

Musical toys that don't work.

.. Modern electronics ought to be up to the job of responding with multiple notes.

Though in this case it might be better if they didn't work at all...

#28 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4747 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 29 November 2019 - 13:29

Baby on Board signs in the backs of cars. I am not going to take any more or any less care in not running into the back of a car because of one of these signs. It's a fertility boast. No one cares. The planet is not in desperate need of more people!

#29 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 29 November 2019 - 14:15

In the few actual "record" shops we have left, they all put musicals and soundtracks in the same rack in alphabetical order rather than separating them.

I am often scanning for musicals and get fed up of seeing Lego Movie et al 

Oh and the Henry Watson section of Manchester Central Library which for some reason only known to the management bod whose diktat it was, do not have the Duey Decimal numbers labelled on the shelving so when you have looked something up in the catalogue and noted the reference number it is still difficult to find the correct rack. I did suggest making some maps of the shelving layout and laminating them so they could be borrowed but some fell on stony ground...................

#30 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2869 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 29 November 2019 - 14:26

Baby on Board signs in the backs of cars. I am not going to take any more or any less care in not running into the back of a car because of one of these signs. It's a fertility boast. No one cares. The planet is not in desperate need of more people!

:o  :o