Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 28 May 2020 - 15:22

Aaah! The firstborn! Wait 'til you get to the second, or maybe even the third or fourth and you will realise that those little darlings will kip through a nuclear blast in a firework factory if they're otherwise healthy. It's actually good for them - means as they get older they won't be woken at 2.00 in the morning by the neighbours coming home from their night out.

When we had my eldest, hubby was in a rock band and DC would doze off in the same room at rehearsals. Likewise the youngest who would similarly snooze through the noise of several dozen racing motorbikes revving away as they for races in the ciruit paddock. No ear defenders then, either, although I'm happy to report that they both seem not to have any hearing issues in their late thirties, fortunately.

#17 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22952 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 18 June 2020 - 15:29

I've played piano to get babies to sleep. It's unlikely to be a problem and being quiet because a baby is sleeping is often impractical.

When mine were small when they were sleeping was an opportunity to practice and I often played just after they went to bed. 

If you were playing before your baby arrived (s)he will already be used to it.

#18 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Member: 899443
  • Switzerland

Posted 18 June 2020 - 15:57

Aaah! The firstborn! Wait 'til you get to the second, or maybe even the third or fourth and you will realise that those little darlings will kip through a nuclear blast in a firework factory if they're otherwise healthy. It's actually good for them - means as they get older they won't be woken at 2.00 in the morning by the neighbours coming home from their night out.

Then you get the odd little darling who wakes to any sudden noise. She wakes even if it's the same noise every night and not very loud. It took me months to find out what it was as I didn't notice it. And this same darling considered, from the day she was born, that if she woke it was morning and mealtime.

#19 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 14 July 2020 - 23:16

I started playing ukulele for the reasons you give, plus relatively inexpensive. I love my tenor with a low G string, I play in a band and a group teach myself off YouTube teachers for free, so it’s very portable, social, and compared to the piano very easy at least if you just play chords and the big bonus you can sing at the same time. Lots of fab musicians play ukulele including Joe Brown and George Harrison to name a couple - What’s not to like ?

#20 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 15 July 2020 - 15:48

Hi Tezes123, thanks for the update and yes, it's a great instrument! happy playing