#1 Hotair

Hotair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Member: 470

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:21

I am working my way through Rockschool exams. Grade 5 one of the questions is converting a 2/4 rhythm to 6/8. My dilemma is converting a beamed dotted quaver and semiquaver to 6/8 time. I could post a photo of question, will I be able to do that on this forum?

#2 Lucid

Lucid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Member: 23721
  • UK

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:09

I think you'd need to write that rhythm as a duplet when converting it to compound time as it's a pair of notes that can't be converted in the way you usually would. So you'd keep the rhythm the same and put a bracket with a 2 in the middle - like you would with triplet brackets. The effect of the duplet is that the rhythm is played in the same time as 3 notes (or a beat in 6/8 time) would be. Hopefully I've understood correctly but a photo or image would be useful. I think it should be possible to post a photo, using the image icon in the bar above where you type your reply. 

Lucid :)

#3 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:01

I could post a photo of question, will I be able to do that on this forum?

That would be best because, while the method suggested by Hotair is what you might expect in a 'classical' theory exam, in pop and jazz what you describe is often interpreted as a swing rhythm (in which dotted quaver - semiquaver in 2/4 is interpreted as crotchet-quaver in 6/8 time). The precise wording of the question is therefore critical.

#4 Hotair

Hotair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 13:47

That would be best because, while the method suggested by Hotair is what you might expect in a 'classical' theory exam, in pop and jazz what you describe is often interpreted as a swing rhythm (in which dotted quaver - semiquaver in 2/4 is interpreted as crotchet-quaver in 6/8 time). The precise wording of the question is therefore critical.

#5 Hotair

Hotair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 13:59

I can’t quite work out how to post an image, thanks.

#6 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 25 August 2019 - 14:03

Convert your photo to a Google document and then copy the url into the post.

#7 Hotair

Hotair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 15:31

https://docs.google....rpAhQXxVYCXFFeo

Hope this works!

#8 Hotair

Hotair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 18:25

https://docs.google....rpAhQXxVYCXFFeo

#9 Lucid

Lucid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • UK

Posted 25 August 2019 - 21:31

I wouldn't expect that to be the case when reading pop or jazz unless it specifies 'dotted quaver and semiquaver = swing', but definitely worth checking the wording of the question. In a lot of poppy/funk stuff you definitely wouldn't want to swing that rhythm either. Swing can be written with that rhythm (dotted quaver and semiquaver) but it is more common for it to be represented with two quavers and the indication for swing at the start of the piece. 

Thanks for providing the image Hotair. I may be wrong but I think with bar 2 you need to add dots to the first group of beamed notes (semiquaver quaver semiquaver), as they would then equal the 1st dotted crotchet beat. Then the 2nd beat you add the duplet bracket to. That is quite a hard example they've given you, I think anyway, but I've never dealt with Rock School before so I don't know what the standard is. You've got bar 1 right. One tip is just make sure your noteheads are going through the stave line, rather than hovering above. Again, they might not be as harsh at marking as the AB is for their theory, but it's always a good idea to keep it exactly as it should appear and not give them an excuse to knock off marks.

Good luck with the exam when it comes!

#10 Hotair

Hotair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:27

I wouldn't expect that to be the case when reading pop or jazz unless it specifies 'dotted quaver and semiquaver = swing', but definitely worth checking the wording of the question. In a lot of poppy/funk stuff you definitely wouldn't want to swing that rhythm either. Swing can be written with that rhythm (dotted quaver and semiquaver) but it is more common for it to be represented with two quavers and the indication for swing at the start of the piece. 

Thanks for providing the image Hotair. I may be wrong but I think with bar 2 you need to add dots to the first group of beamed notes (semiquaver quaver semiquaver), as they would then equal the 1st dotted crotchet beat. Then the 2nd beat you add the duplet bracket to. That is quite a hard example they've given you, I think anyway, but I've never dealt with Rock School before so I don't know what the standard is. You've got bar 1 right. One tip is just make sure your noteheads are going through the stave line, rather than hovering above. Again, they might not be as harsh at marking as the AB is for their theory, but it's always a good idea to keep it exactly as it should appear and not give them an excuse to knock off marks.

Good luck with the exam when it comes!

Thanks Lucid for your reply. I can get the model answers but not for a few weeks when I will be back in the uk.

#11 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:36

I wouldn't expect that to be the case when reading pop or jazz unless it specifies 'dotted quaver and semiquaver = swing', 

Yes, that's why we needed to see the question as set. but it is clearly unrelated to pop or jazz and seems to be a more convoluted version of the type of test seen in AB theory exams.

#12 Lucid

Lucid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • UK

Posted 26 August 2019 - 20:18

Yes it's definitely quite an unrealistic looking group of rhythms to have to convert!

#13 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1791 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 27 August 2019 - 17:56

That's a very strange question!  Could you post the model answer when you get it, Hotair?  The way the question is worded suggests to me that a certain amount of freedom is allowed in filling up the two bars rather than requiring an exact match to the note lengths.  Looking at the two versions of bar 1, don't you end up with the accent falling on a different quaver?  And if you read it as converting from swing time, the first group of bar 2 doesn't make sense.

#14 Hotair

Hotair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:09

That's a very strange question!  Could you post the model answer when you get it, Hotair?  The way the question is worded suggests to me that a certain amount of freedom is allowed in filling up the two bars rather than requiring an exact match to the note lengths.  Looking at the two versions of bar 1, don't you end up with the accent falling on a different quaver?  And if you read it as converting from swing time, the first group of bar 2 doesn't make sense.

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I will post answer as soon as I am back in the uk.

#15 Hotair

Hotair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 15:00

https://docs.google....l0TEHfVC0Mn7_Qg

So this is the answer. As you will see the question has been changed!