5 replies to this topic

#1 FranzJosefAmadeus

FranzJosefAmadeus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 899757

Posted 12 October 2019 - 22:28

Hi, I'm preparing Haydn Sonata in EbMajor Hob49 No59 for my DipABRSM exam. Which repeats are currently acceptable to play in the exam for each movement?

#2 margaret

margaret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Member: 337
  • Barnet

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:48

Hello when I asked the Director of Exams a similar question I was told that no large whole section repeats should be included. There are often repeat dots after a couple of pages and these should not be done. Small repeats eg in a minuet and trio section are a little different. I would email the ABRSM diploma office directly to check if I were you and it is vital to time the Sonata correctly for your overall programme. The syllabus does discuss this point so read this very carefully.

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17645 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 13 October 2019 - 14:02

Surely not Hob 49. I think most Sonatas are Hob, XVI  (ie 16)   I think you mean Hob XVI No 49 in E Flat . A great Sonata, though nothing beats the last one No 52.(I play them all). In No 49 I wouldnt do repeats in 1st and 2nd movements, but I think you should do the  short (mainly 8 bar ) repeats in the Minuetto movement

#4 FranzJosefAmadeus

FranzJosefAmadeus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 899757

Posted 13 October 2019 - 15:06

Thanks very much for your replies. I will contact ABRSM to be sure, but it seems sensible to leave out the longer repeats and leave in the short ones in the third mvt. I doubt the examiner will want to hear huge amounts of the same material again as it will not display any new aspects of technique. The syllabus states "The observance of repeats ... are matters in which you are expected to use your discretion to achieve a stylistically appropriate and musically satisfying performance." As a result there is no clear cut answer. Also, I did give the wrong numbers for the sonata in the original post.????????

#5 The Land

The Land

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Member: 894690

Posted 24 October 2019 - 15:06

Thanks very much for your replies. I will contact ABRSM to be sure, but it seems sensible to leave out the longer repeats and leave in the short ones in the third mvt. I doubt the examiner will want to hear huge amounts of the same material again as it will not display any new aspects of technique. The syllabus states "The observance of repeats ... are matters in which you are expected to use your discretion to achieve a stylistically appropriate and musically satisfying performance." As a result there is no clear cut answer. Also, I did give the wrong numbers for the sonata in the original post.????????

Yes, there isn't a clear-cut answer - on purpose - this is an exam where you have to reach your own conclusions!

You have to work out what the musical importance of the repeated section is, and whether the repeat is worth the programme time.

In a Classical sonata-form first movement there is a strong case for not repeating the exposition. There is a good argument that the repeats are there to make sure that the audience has time to understand the thematic material, by hearing it twice, before it gets altered in the development section. If you're playing music that is 200 years old to people who have heard it dozens of times and probably played it themselves, that objective is a bit less important. 

You should ideally think about these kinds of issues for each piece and be prepared to justify your decision on what you did and didn't repeat in the viva voce.

#6 The Land

The Land

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Member: 894690

Posted 24 October 2019 - 15:09

To put it another way:

This isn't an exam where there is a "right" answer to this kind of question, any more than there's a right answer to how you interpret the dynamic markings in the score. 

What you're being assessed on is whether you can make a decision that works in the context of the recital, and justify it if you're asked about it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Piano, Haydn, DipABRSM