#76 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:03

@AdLib - a shop was on my hit list when we moved here. I also wanted to avoid oil central heating and sceptic tanks. Guess who has both of the latter and none of the former? :) However, the sceptic tank turns out to be no big deal and oil is extremely efficient. In the long run we'd like something more planet friendly though.

#77 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:51

I live in a village with a decent small shop and a pub, but for everything else you have to drive. I love it, except that it's very densely built up and I'd like more space.

There is a lot to be said for having a pub you can walk to!  I don't mean to sound like an alcoholic but Mrs G and I do like to pop out for a couple of beers and a chat from time to time, and it would have been nice to have one within walking distance.  However, it just wasn't possible in the end.  Hence the local excitement about the Saturday evening bus - it's great to have it back again.  Also useful to have a walkable shop - we have a petrol station ### hardware store ### food store at the end of the road that is surprisingly well stocked, but it's a 5km round trip - I have walked it, but it's not something you can pop to quickly for some small thing.

@AdLib - a shop was on my hit list when we moved here. I also wanted to avoid oil central heating and sceptic tanks. Guess who has both of the latter and none of the former? :) However, the sceptic tank turns out to be no big deal and oil is extremely efficient. In the long run we'd like something more planet friendly though.

I like sceptic tank - is that something you feel uncertain about? :)  We have exactly the same arrangement of septic tank and oil for heating.  I've had septic tanks (and worse!) before so that's not an issue.  It's hard to know what to do for the best from an environmental point of view: the only obvious substitute for oil is gas which is a cleaner burn but is likely to be outlawed sooner or later.  We are at least in the process of replacing the open fire with a gas one, and although we have not (yet) replaced the windows, I have put a lot of extra insulation into the loft which does help.  We console ourselves a bit that our environmental footprint re the water is pretty much non-existent: it comes out of a spring, goes through the house, through the septic tank, and runs down the hill into the river where it was going to end up anyway.  We are also looking into some power generation - a friend installed a windmill a couple of years ago and reckons he can manage pretty much without using the electricity supply.  Our next car will have to be electric and if we generate our own charge that will also help to offset the oil heating.

####!  caught out by the censor again!!  This time for a 3-letter latin word meaning "with"

#78 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:36

We have mains water here but no main sewers and no chance of hooking up to one. There's no gas for miles and miles and miles. The nearest shop is a car trip away so everything is delivered. I have no idea where the nearest pub is. Neither of us drink much and when we do (Christmas, birthdays) it's a glass of home-made wine! We don't go anywhere by car much. This last year I've been out three times - two trips for the Covid jabs and one for The Collie's jabs. Mr Z went out once extra to get some petrol for the sit on. We were intending to buy a new car this year but the current one has seen so little action that it doesn't seem worthwhile.

It's not everyone's idea of heaven though. Some would find it extremely lonely!

#79 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:46

Likewise wrt gas - the gas fire we are getting uses bottled which is much more expensive than mains but, like you, the nearest supply of mains is many miles away.  Also no chance of mains sewerage.  There is a water main but it ends a couple of km down the road.  There were people working on it a few months ago and I stopped and asked if they were extending it.  The reply - "in your dreams" - wasn't encouraging.  I would like mains water as it would save hassle.  Mrs G positively doesn't want mains as she hates the chlorine taste and reckons our water is much nicer.  It probably is, but guess which of us deals with the problems as they arise?

We rarely go much beyond our local area apart from occasional shopping trips (nobody will deliver groceries here) but Mrs G likes to stroll around town from time to time and meet people over a coffee - she can usually find someone to chat to and missed that during the lockdowns.  It didn't bother me at all!

#80 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 15:50

We've just carried rubbish the council is collecting for us out to the gate. It weighed a ton. It's a great service - they took stuff for us during lockdown. However, you have to itemise every last thing and each item is worth 'points'. They're coming either tomorrow or Friday - they weren't certain which. I can't wait to see the back of that little lot. There's still the final skip to come though! :lol:

#81 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 22 September 2021 - 17:15

Is it points as in "Well done, you've earned 56 points today" or "you've already spent your points allowance for this month"?

#82 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 20:41

Is it points as in "Well done, you've earned 56 points today" or "you've already spent your points allowance for this month"?

It's points as in you buy so many points and things are worth points. We had to get rid of a no longer functioning electric piano. That was a lot of points. :blink:

#83 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15175 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 22 September 2021 - 21:25

The mental image conjured up of a 'sceptic tank' has put a much-needed smile on my face - love it!

:D

#84 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 22 September 2021 - 21:43

It's points as in you buy so many points and things are worth points. We had to get rid of a no longer functioning electric piano. That was a lot of points. :blink:
Point taken.

#85 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8707 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 22 September 2021 - 22:25

What's the point of the points? If you have been good at taking your rubbish to the tip do you get a reduction on your dustbin collection bill? :goldstar:

#86 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:25

What's the point of the points? If you have been good at taking your rubbish to the tip do you get a reduction on your dustbin collection bill? :goldstar:

No reduction. It costs more. Everything costs more. But you get a reduction in the things knocking about your field.  It's a handy system but I wouldn't describe it as a gift! The most interesting part about it is it's on-line. You select your item from a list. Of course, your item isn't on the list. In fact, most of your items aren't; so you phone up and the nice lady works out what your item should be 'called'. My husband booked a month ago nearly. It takes a while. I expect my husband had a list. But sadly he has mislaid his list so all he has is the lady's list and he now can't work out what 'pillows' means as he knows he didn't have 'pillows' on his list... :lol: :lol: :lol:

#87 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:52

That sounds great - we have to take anything that won't fit in the bin to what is euphamistically called the recycling centre (apart from metal, you just chuck everything into one giant skip) and pay for the privilege.  The car is weighed when you enter and again as you leave and you pay accordingly.  Last time I went, a decently full boot and a couple of old doors on the roof rack cost me €240.  It's not really surprising that fly tipping, despite potentially large fines, is a problem around here.

#88 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 10:16

That sounds great - we have to take anything that won't fit in the bin to what is euphamistically called the recycling centre (apart from metal, you just chuck everything into one giant skip) and pay for the privilege.  The car is weighed when you enter and again as you leave and you pay accordingly.  Last time I went, a decently full boot and a couple of old doors on the roof rack cost me €240.  It's not really surprising that fly tipping, despite potentially large fines, is a problem around here.

Yes. We're pleased with it. The previous time we used it they took away the spare bed. My husband happened to be out there when they arrived and they had a little chat with him. They were kindness itself and appreciated how we'd covered the mattress so that it didn't get soaked (and heavy) with rain! The local council have been great since we've moved in - we've had quite a number of questions because of the renovations to the barn and the new room. We're very lucky! Not all councils are that welcoming!

#89 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8707 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 23 September 2021 - 13:02

No reduction. It costs more. Everything costs more. But you get a reduction in the things knocking about your field.  It's a handy system but I wouldn't describe it as a gift! The most interesting part about it is it's on-line. You select your item from a list. Of course, your item isn't on the list. In fact, most of your items aren't; so you phone up and the nice lady works out what your item should be 'called'. My husband booked a month ago nearly. It takes a while. I expect my husband had a list. But sadly he has mislaid his list so all he has is the lady's list and he now can't work out what 'pillows' means as he knows he didn't have 'pillows' on his list... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah, I see. I am only thankful ours is simpler. Chuck it in the car. Drive 2 minutes along the road. Queue for 10 or more unless you have chosen your timing well.. Get the nice lady (a neighbour of mine) to help you put everything in the right bin. Queue up to get out.  Go home and start again. We don't pay so I suppose it's covered by local taxes.

They did instore a barrier system to keep people from other communes out. However it clogged up the system and also was forever breaking down. It seems to have died a quiet death. Garden rubbish has a quick through route - thank heavens!

#90 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 14:48

That does sound easy, Aquarelle!  I've just checked outside our gate and our rubbish has gone! There's just the huge pile for the skip now!