Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6833 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:14

Having listened to two old favourites of mine in the same programme from The First Night of the Proms' on TV. Firstly we had Vaughan Williams 'Serenade to Music'  and then a magnificent performance of the Poulenc Organ Concerto  (soloist Daniel Hyde from Kings College Cambridge) .  BBC SO conducted by the delightful Daria Stasevska.   

...and then there was part 2 on BBC4, and we turned off. Far too modern for me. :wacko:

#22952 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:27

I was just listening to Saint Saens' Aquarium on R3 with the glass harp, as scored. That was pretty fabulous.

I've bookmarked the CD for when I feel flush, but ordered a much cheaper 2-CD set, as I don't have any (or much) Saint Saens.

#22953 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18932 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 31 July 2021 - 15:10

Having listened to two old favourites of mine in the same programme from The First Night of the Proms' on TV. Firstly we had Vaughan Williams 'Serenade to Music'  and then a magnificent performance of the Poulenc Organ Concerto  (soloist Daniel Hyde from Kings College Cambridge) .  BBC SO conducted by the delightful Daria Stasevska.   

...and then there was part 2 on BBC4, and we turned off. Far too modern for me. :wacko:

Actually I am a fan of much of Sir James MacMillans Music, but missed it as I broke for some dinner then listened to Sibelius  2nd Symphony, another one high in my list of favourites, having visited his Finnish home and stood at his desk.   My favourite MacMillan work is 'Veni Veni Emmanuel' , essentially a percussion concerto which I have heard live in both Royal Festival Hall, and the old Victoria Concert Hall in Singapore  (Both times played by Evelyn Glennie)

#22954 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:19

Actually I am a fan of much of Sir James MacMillans Music, but missed it as I broke for some dinner then listened to Sibelius  2nd Symphony, another one high in my list of favourites, having visited his Finnish home and stood at his desk.   My favourite MacMillan work is 'Veni Veni Emmanuel' , essentially a percussion concerto which I have heard live in both Royal Festival Hall, and the old Victoria Concert Hall in Singapore  (Both times played by Evelyn Glennie)

Sibelius is a favourite of mine too. I didn't think to visit his home though when I was last in Finland and I doubt I'll stand at any desk other than my own now. He was an interesting character by all accounts and for me the music is divine. I even forgive him the violins. There are a few examples of his music being made available for the descant recorder but it doesn't really work. It needs the violins...

#22955 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:13

We left for our walk at 5.30 this morning. It was misty. A fox leapt and danced, a silhouette in the mist. The a little while later a hare sprang and ran. Two gifts in five minutes! And there are some sweet peas to pick!

#22956 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7125 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:22

Sometime in the 1980s (don't remember when, possibly later on) there was some sort of oratorio type of thing by MacMillan - I had the misfortune to go to a concert which included it, it was noise and atonal dross. Although I've heard other choral pieces by him since then which are better, memories of that hideous item means I keep away! 

#22957 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 02 August 2021 - 19:57

Elemimele's post today on the Scream thread!

#22958 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:00

Finally, after many, many, many weeks I've been able to play the recorder for short bursts. My hand tires easily and aches like mad afterwards but it's really nice to hear the recorder again! Bliss!

#22959 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 03 August 2021 - 15:43

That's really good news - hope recovery continues apace!

#22960 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 03 August 2021 - 16:09

Finally, after many, many, many weeks I've been able to play the recorder for short bursts. My hand tires easily and aches like mad afterwards but it's really nice to hear the recorder again! Bliss!

Yay! That's good news! The recorder thread has been too quiet lately.

#22961 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20513 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 03 August 2021 - 16:40

My happy - a complete veggie supper all ready to heat up and eat up - from the mum of one of my ex-pupils. 

Lovely surprise ! Now can’t wait for dinner time … 

#22962 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7125 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 03 August 2021 - 19:34

Finally - 8 weeks late - the rotavator is due to arrive on hire tomorrow. The delays have seriously messed up my garden plans. 

#22963 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15157 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 03 August 2021 - 22:28

A new student signed up for the next module of my course today...he lives in the Solomon Islands!

:o  :o  :o

#22964 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6952 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:51

A new student signed up for the next module of my course today...he lives in the Solomon Islands!

:o  :o  :o

:D The value of Zoom (or its equivalent)  :D

#22965 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8686 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 04 August 2021 - 19:07

The fact that I have finally finished a document for parents about the choice of a keyboard or piano. I had promised to give two new inscriptions for September a document to help them choose but when I re-read my original it was very much out of date. So I asked them to wait until they heard from me. It has taken me 2 afternoons to re-write it and check on new models and prices etc. but it is done!

Actually it got a bit urgent as I had an email from one of the mothers asking me if what she had found on Amazon  would do. It  was, in fact a 30 euro toy thing; I wrote straight back and said  not to buy it. So I wanted to get my document to her asap so that she doesn't  fall into any other trap. At least that is another job of my summer list of "to do."