mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4999 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 29 November 2019 - 15:29

Baby on Board signs in the backs of cars. I am not going to take any more or any less care in not running into the back of a car because of one of these signs. It's a fertility boast. No one cares. The planet is not in desperate need of more people!

I once had a letter read out on Woman's Hour about these things. I didn't see them as a fertility boast, but if I drive carefully it is to save my own skin, not that of someone's issue.

I don't care to be told to back off away from their 'Preciousssss'.

Sorry* if that confirms be as a Bad Fairy. 

(*actually, no - I'm not sorry.*  :ninja: )

My musical pet peeve is snobbery about digital pianos. There are some horrors but I'd be delighted if my pupils had a good digital piano, rather than a substandard keyboard with non-weighted keys.

Only about a quarter of my pupils have real pianos, and some of those may well be dodgy.

#32 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 29 November 2019 - 15:30

On Strictly. "Dave Arch and his orchestra". That looks like a band to me!

Chap came to play alto sax in my wind band. In fairness, he was pretty good for his lack of experience, but used to tell everyone on the outside that he played in an orchestra. Claimed, "well they're all the same aren't they?"

Turned out he only chose the sax because it was 'S-e-x-y' and spent most of our band social time chatting up the lady flautists!

#33 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4747 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 29 November 2019 - 15:55

Oh and.. (really warming to the subject now!) schools which call themselves colleges or academies, and other forms of pretentious badge engineering. And any organisation which bangs on about teamwork too much (a sure sign that there is none). At my school, we used to have a system where if you were in year 1 with Mrs Smith as your teacher, your class would be called 1Sm. Brilliant, everyone knew where to find you. Then some bright spark came up with the idea of using the word TEAMWORK, with each class having one of the letters. 1T, 1E and so on. So no one knew what teacher the child had. And there were also only 7 classes, so it spelt TEAMWOR. Which says it all!

#34 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 29 November 2019 - 16:22

... do not have the Duey Decimal numbers labelled on the shelving so when you have looked something up in the catalogue and noted the reference number it is still difficult to find the correct rack.

Rather reminds me of my old office manager in the council's libraries' department who was attempting to catalogue some replacement parts for some of the orchestral scores. She wasn't a musician, I can read music and she knew that:

Q: "What's a violoncello? I haven't ordered these parts - I ordered cello parts." A: For your purpose, they're the same!

Q: "What's the difference between violoncello I and violoncello II - they're the same aren't they?" A: "They look the same but there are some differences (points out a couple of differences). You'll have to catalogue them seperately!" She: "Oh, it's OK, I'll just put them together and give them the same item number!"

So, y'know, if you're having trouble finding parts, don't always put it down to the librarian. Back office staff often get most of the cataloguing work.

#35 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 29 November 2019 - 16:55

Any kind of "Motivational Poster" .

With regards to the "fertility boast" , I once congratulated a friend on becoming a grandmother. She replied "well all it takes is to not be very good at contraception yourself, and then not be good at teaching your children about contraception!"

#36 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4747 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 29 November 2019 - 17:27

:lol: Can I add "motivational" work team building games/ awayday activities (typically cringy and suitable for toddlers). I'm still in therapy from having to pretend to be a tree in front of my peers on my CT ABRSM course. Should have been more confident, refused, and pointed out that this was inappropriate at the time, instead of moaning about it for the next 15 years!

#37 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19975 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 29 November 2019 - 18:49

Any establishment which calls itself a ‘Centre’.  Usually isn’t. 

#38 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1330 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 29 November 2019 - 20:31

oh, don't get me started on team-building. Games like all crowding onto a big wooden platform and swinging on a rope one by one to a smaller platform, a bit too small. What steaming idiot came up with that idea in a department that had at least one bloke with wandering hands? I remember standing at the very edge of this wretched thing, crouched down with my fingers in my ears wishing I was anywhere else, with someone's breasts resting on my head (not her fault). The whole day was daft. Alternating games designed to make you touch people, with problem-solving where the problems were so trivial and well-known it was more a test of everyone's acting skills to string it out long enough to satisfy the over-muscled Baywatch wannabes who staffed the place. Oh, yes, the place did call itself a centre, too.

Hey, stop reading all this stuff and get on with something useful, you lot! (*)

(* That was for ma non troppo's benefit; I was posting motivationally)

#39 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1483 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 21:20

https://despair.com/...ns/demotivators

I've often been tempted to get one of these.

#40 bevpiano

bevpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Member: 7837
  • hertfordshire

Posted 30 November 2019 - 00:09

Baby on Board signs in the backs of cars. I am not going to take any more or any less care in not running into the back of a car because of one of these signs. It's a fertility boast. No one cares. The planet is not in desperate need of more people!

I used to find them rather annoying, but then a heard a talk about a young mother who'd had a bad car accident and been taken to hospital unconscious. Her young baby was not noticed in the badly smashed car and by the time the mother had regained consciousness and asked for the baby, it had died. She then had the idea of creating these signs to alert emergency services to the presence of a baby in similar circumstances.

#41 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:24

Heaters that do not work. I tried to use one yesterday as someone said it was a good one only to learn it was broken. 

#42 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6752 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:17

I used to find them rather annoying, but then a heard a talk about a young mother who'd had a bad car accident and been taken to hospital unconscious. Her young baby was not noticed in the badly smashed car and by the time the mother had regained consciousness and asked for the baby, it had died. She then had the idea of creating these signs to alert emergency services to the presence of a baby in similar circumstances.

This story goes around.  It is an urband legend.

https://qz.com/27598...on-board-signs/

https://www.babygaga...-myth-debunked/

#43 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1483 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:03

I'm pretty sure that emergency services check for babies as a matter of routine anyway.

Here's a peeve - people who drive huge tanks (badly) and block your view at junctions etc. Often they have a baby on board sign too, funnily enough.

#44 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17773 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:58

It really gets my dander up when people go down the lanes in a supermarket , or 'services' car park in the opposite direction to what is marked by arrows.  They tend to drive in the right way , then come out the same way as they have come in. It can cause chaos. 

#45 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6066 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:20

Since we've wandered away from the subject of music, I will add my gripe - Honorary Degrees. A degree is something you get when you have successfully followed a specific course of study. I appreciate that some of the people who are awarded Honorary Degrees have often achieved something remarkable (and equally often not) in which case award them something, but PLEASE DON'T CALL IT A DEGREE. It devalues those of us who have actually worked for a degree.