23353 replies to this topic

#22771 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19055 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:23

We have Tesco deliveries every Tuesday, usually about 30-40 items, rarely have more than 2 items unavailable. we get the odd 'Shorter dated than we would have wished' but its never a problem.  I only allow substitutions for some items, and its rare one is used.

#22772 zwhe

zwhe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:31

I gave up online shopping years ago. They never had what we wanted, and substitutions were ridiculous. I have multiple food allergies (more than 30 different foods) and my kids have a few allergies as well so we have to have what we ask for. I remember on the last occasion we did it they didn't have any medium chickens, so sent a pack of frozen chicken kievs instead. There is no point doing an online order if you have to go shopping anyway.

I haven't found supplies to be a problem in the last few weeks although I haven't needed any pasta or rice - they didn't have any cider a couple of weeks ago, but its hardly essential (red wine on the other hand...). It was a nightmare at the start of the first lockdown though. One week there was almost nothing we could eat. The shop assistant told me there was plenty of food there when I asked if there was anything out the back, but it was all sliced bread and microwave meals, neither of which were any use (egg, dairy, soya and several additives are all on the list). I ate potatoes 3 times a day for over a week, with a limited selection of vegetables. The kids at least had some breakfast cereal. We completely ran out of flour, pasta, rice, couscous, legumes etc so had no protein. The supermarket were so unhelpful and even when I explained about our health needs refused to reserve anything for us. I ended up paying a huge amount for flour on ebay so we could have some bread.

I've been keeping my cupboards full ever since.

#22773 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8750 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:13

zwhe I sympathise. I don't have food allergy  problems except for being allergic to mussels which is hardly a major concern. But for many years i have disliked the "You have to buy what we have got to sell" policy which limits choice. I suppose the advantage is that you can do one stop shopping and larger supermarkets can carry quite a wide range. But there ought to be at least one small part of suchj shops where you can ask them to stock something that is an individual need - a sort of small shop within the big one. But that would be a human service and this is a computer run world.

#22774 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 04 August 2021 - 15:42

I gave up online shopping years ago. They never had what we wanted, and substitutions were ridiculous. I have multiple food allergies (more than 30 different foods)

We have ordered online and had weekly deliveries from Waitrose throughout the pandemic. Most weeks there were two or three substitutions (mostly quite reasonable), but for the last four weeks there have been no substitutions at all - everything has been available. Neither of us have any allergies, though. There's no excuse for unhelpful staff, especially when it comes to dietary requirements.

#22775 zwhe

zwhe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 04 August 2021 - 17:40

zwhe I sympathise. I don't have food allergy  problems except for being allergic to mussels which is hardly a major concern. But for many years i have disliked the "You have to buy what we have got to sell" policy which limits choice. I suppose the advantage is that you can do one stop shopping and larger supermarkets can carry quite a wide range. But there ought to be at least one small part of suchj shops where you can ask them to stock something that is an individual need - a sort of small shop within the big one. But that would be a human service and this is a computer run world.

I don't even need 'free from' food (they often substitute one allergen for another so dairy free will contain soya), just plain ingredients so I can make things myself and be certain it won't kill anyone. The problem with buying pre-prepared food/eating out is they only legally have to declare the most common allergens, so you don't know what else could be in it in small quantities. 'Flavourings' are a good example - they can be made from anything at all, and they don't have to say what so they only tell you if it contains the magic 14 ingredients. Vegetarians beware - 'flavourings' could be made from meat although most are probably made in a lab.

It leads to lots of problems with people's understanding of allergies. "You can't be allergic to oranges/kiwi/pineapple/buckwheat etc as it isn't on the list." I've even had people try to tell me that my peanut allergy must be really serious (it isn't life threatening, just hives/wheezing/lips swell) and my shelfish allergy can't be that bad (it is and has landed me in hospital so many times as I don't even have to eat it to react) because they think they come in a heirachy.

#22776 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 04 August 2021 - 19:45

zwhe, I use Hodmedods and Bakerybits for cupboard staples, that might be an option for you as well. (And Amazon for sushi rice.)

#22777 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4611 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 04 August 2021 - 21:01

Tesco delivery just arrived.56 items. One substitution, apricots in syrup instead of juice. I can live with that.

#22778 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7216 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 07 August 2021 - 13:08

Situation with mum is deteriorating - not good. 

#22779 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7218 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 07 August 2021 - 13:13

Thoughts with you, I was in this situation 2 years ago with my dad.

#22780 iona

iona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Member: 4776
  • South East London

Posted 07 August 2021 - 15:43

Hang on in there. Sending you all the strength I can muster.

#22781 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7008 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 07 August 2021 - 16:00

Thinking of you TV. I know how difficult these things are.

#22782 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 07 August 2021 - 17:02

Hugs, TV.

#22783 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3452 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 07 August 2021 - 20:37

We feel your pain, TV

C & Bag xx

#22784 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4072 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 07 August 2021 - 21:13

It can be a very difficult time, TV. What I always think it's that it's new to everyone when it happens to them, which is really hard. And one parent won't necessarily have the same problems as the other. You have to learn about what's available and what's needed and it can be a lot to get your head round. I don't think we always got it right for my parents, but we absolutely did our best, as I'm sure you are.

#22785 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3045 posts
  • Member: 76503
  • Scotland

Posted 07 August 2021 - 21:45

We have a weird one that there are some flavours of sandwich spread we cannot buy (no big deal) BUT if we buy a different one and it's out of stock we can have the other one we wanted as a substitute! You can order chicken paste or beef paste ONLY, but if they don't have it you can have chicken ham paste as a preferred sub. What you can't have is chicken ham paste as a first choice. Same with beef and ham paste. We'll never understand why!

I really want to know how the system decides what's similar. They always substitute in brand for totally different milk instead of a different brand of the same product that's clearly for a special diet. It's the only one that drives me nuts.