#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 30 July 2020 - 13:43

whats everyone doing on their summer break from lessons?

I am just continuing to perfect a piece I have been working on (Fur Elise) and then have another piece to try and also keeping my hand in for my flute practice.   I do not have flute lessons but practice from a book on my own.   I can take a more leisurely pace with my piano because I have until September

#2 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Member: 416492

Posted 30 July 2020 - 16:16

Quite the opposite for me - I'm restarting sax lessons after a 9 month break next week, and my guitar lessons resumed a couple of weeks after my teacher got in touch saying he was starting up again.

Will probably be revisiting some grade 6 pieces I've not looked at for a few months in my first lesson or two back, and I'm working on the LCM Grade 1 syllabus for classical guitar. having mostly done electric until now.

#3 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 30 July 2020 - 20:11

I have my first lesson in about 6 weeks on the 8th August. 

I have been working on the first movement of the Mozart flute concerto in D, which I had optimistically told my teacher I thought I could learn for my first lesson back after the break. I’m also continuing to work on Debussy’s Syrinx and the first movement of the Hindemith flute sonata, both of which just need fine tuning, and have been on the go for a while. 

Piano has fallen by the wayside a bit, as work has been super-busy, but I’ll pick it up again. I’m not having lessons, just tinkering around, so there’s no pressure or goals that I have in mind. 

#4 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6676 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 30 July 2020 - 20:21

My last lesson for the summer was today. I'm going to be spending some time doing non-piano things- revising maths, mostly, for my MSc starting in September. 

#5 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6283 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 30 July 2020 - 21:45

Summer break this year started around March and looks likely to go on to December.

#6 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:27

Summer break this year started around March and looks likely to go on to December.

Times 2. My lessons might be able to start again in September, but I couldn't do that if they insisted I wore a face covering for the duration, so we will see.

#7 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5355 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:55

My own personal lessons continue via Zoom although I understand my teacher is considering F2F in Sept - no guarantees, though. I am trying to be more systematic in practising. Hopefully I might make some more progress than of late.

I went back to in-person teaching earlier this month and am continuing through the summer - it's not as though children need to rest! Naturally, the pace eases a little as families manage to fit in a holiday of sorts, but I'm not planning one (yet).

#8 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:50

After the long break from March to June, my students aren't having a summer break - at least, not from piano. While they're at home, they have lessons. I'm continuing teaching till the end of August and then hope to escape somewhere at the beginning of September, while the families negotiate the school return. 

Lessons have been happening every morning, finishing around lunchtime, and I'm not particualrly looking forward to resuming an after-school timetable. It's been rewarding to see, almost without exception, the stellar progress and increased motivation with the lack of other distractions and activities - everyone seems to be practising more than usual and enjoying learning plenty of new exciting (non-exam) repertoire. 

#9 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 03 August 2020 - 13:41

My teacher has continued lessons via Zoom as per usual, so I have had weekly lessons through summer. I'm very grateful, as my lesson is the highlight of my week.  :)

#10 Angury

Angury

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 900317

Posted 03 August 2020 - 19:25

What are Zoom lessons like for those of you who have been trialling them?

I had a few months break during the pandemic and restarted face-to-face lessons recently. Have been practicing quite a lot in the past couple of weeks as have had more time in the day. Have also been listening to more violin pieces on the radio which has increased my motivation.

#11 gemmasue

gemmasue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 03 August 2020 - 19:29

My teacher has been continuing lessons via Skype and it’s been working really well. Had a lesson last week and now won’t have another until September.

I’m currently working on Suite Antique (John Rutter) in preparation for ARSM diploma at some point in future. It’s a lovely piece and I’m really enjoying it. Finding it hard to stay in time though with piano accompaniment.

Hoping to use summer to find another piece or 2 to go with the Rutter. The ones I find are a little too long or I don’t like!

#12 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 03 August 2020 - 20:28

My lessons have been carrying on since March via FaceTime, which has worked pretty well. I have been working my teacher for several years now, and he knows me very well, which has helped. We’re going to continue with virtual lessons for the foreseeable because I’m quite risk averse and work in a hospital, so don’t want to potentially catch Covid and pass it on to my teacher.

Work has been so busy, generally, and when it was particularly hectic and everything was turned on its head back in a March/April time, my lessons were the only tiny bit of normal I had, so I was very glad to be able to continue them virtually. 

#13 kevin1981

kevin1981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Member: 899738

Posted 03 August 2020 - 21:01

I always do something not related to exams during the summer. I've learnt Fur Elise a few years ago. This year I'm learning a jazz piano piece which is really fun. Most ABRSM pieces are not the types I would perform in a party, so I always choose something fun or with a catchy tune to learn in the summer.

Lessons resume in September and it will be face to face. Online lessons are not perfect I found.

#14 ABN

ABN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Member: 899576

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:18

I just restarted my weekly face to face lessons two weeks ago after having to stop at the end of March, zoom was an option during the lockdown period but it didn't suit me so I merrily practised on my own which very quickly turned into unconstructive noodling so I'm glad to say face to face lessons are back on, obviously with safety measures in place so mindful practice has resumed and luckily my teacher isn't planning a holiday for the next few months

#15 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 15 August 2020 - 19:40

I've been having piano lessons via WhatsApp since the beginning of lockdown. I even did a mock exam online last week.

Singing isn't happening yet and I'm not sure when it will as my teacher usually travels to me. However, if I enter for my piano exam for the next session then I shall have quite enough to concentrate on.