17 replies to this topic

#1 Piano lady

Piano lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Member: 274946

Posted 05 July 2014 - 18:36

I would love any suggestions for easy, beginner duets for adults please. I have many adult beginners, several retired, and one husband and wife team. I play many duets in the lessons with them (with my part more difficult), but I would like them to get together to play some easy, fun duets (of equal standard).The husband and wife (who have only been learning a few months) are especially keen to play together. Basic notation please.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 05 July 2014 - 19:05

Sea Pictures by Janet King contains duets with both parts in middle C position, obviously in different octaves. I have used these with siblings. Famous and Fun Duets by Carol Matz is another suggestion, both books one and two are pretty straightforward.

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17676 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 05 July 2014 - 19:23

I suggest you look at ABRSM Syllabus for 'Ensembles' on this website. There will be piano duets at three levels

Ah its called assessments , here is the link for primary level.

http://forums.abrsm.org/...esPrimary11.pdf

#4 Bass Clef

Bass Clef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Member: 62313

Posted 05 July 2014 - 20:49

I suggest you look at ABRSM Syllabus for 'Ensembles' on this website. There will be piano duets at three levels

Ah its called assessments , here is the link for primary level.

http://forums.abrsm.org/...esPrimary11.pdf

Their definition of 'primary' ensembles is players of around grade 4-5 standard! This could be a good list to consider a few years down the line.

#5 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4667 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:02

Just been through my collection. Not much available at beginner level for both players, let alone beginner duets to suit adults but here is what I have. Most likely would be Marjorie Helyer Nimble Fingers (some of the items) and Dennis Alexander Five Star Classical Duets and Five Star Folk Duets. The Five Star books have both players in bass and treble.

#6 KathyB

KathyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Member: 487205

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:13

Side by Side Series. Our First Duets by Alec Rowley

#7 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2233 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:03

Selections from The Joy of Piano Duets might work, depending on what exactly you mean by 'beginner', a term which can cover a wide range. Also the Alfred Duet Book, maybe Level 1B, where quite a few of the lower parts could be manageable.

In the earlier stages, I think both children and adults benfit most from playing with a more experienced player. It's quite a big step to get 2 students of the same level playing with each other - though 2 of my nine-year-olds  recently made an excellent job of Some Day, from the Dennis Alexander series, level 2. They are now looking at the John Kember book 'Just For Two' for the next Festival - this book might suit some of your adults just a little further down the line.

#8 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4667 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:11

Could you arrange a piece for them? Then you can have any tune you want at the right level. I did this for my brass band juniors as there isn't any music for our unorthodox combination.

#9 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:54

If you want them to play duets together, I would say they needed to be extremely easy at first. It's a whole different skill. Another book I've used is Chesters Piano duets book 1.All 3 I've suggested in both my posts are manageable for relative beginners.

#10 adagiok5

adagiok5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Member: 1763
  • Hampshire

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:15

The Fanny Waterman series Me And My  Duets books 1 and 2 may be a good option there is also another book in the Waterman series called 50 Duets For Young Pianists this one is a little more difficult but follows on nicely from the other 2 books. I often use these books for extra sight reading for my pupils.  You could also try Scenes At A Farm although this book is not entirely all duets there are some lovely ones in the back of the book.

#11 edgmusic

edgmusic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Member: 77428

Posted 06 July 2014 - 17:40

It might be worth looking at Christopher Norton's 'Microjazz Duets 1'

Little shifting and quite a lot of repetition of material but they sound very attractive

#12 Piano lady

Piano lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Member: 274946

Posted 07 July 2014 - 23:09

Thank you very much everyone for your kind offerings. I am really grateful and will get ordering.

#13 Dreamaurora

Dreamaurora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Member: 316
  • Singapore

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:23

No one has mentioned Barbara Kirby-Mason's Duet Album series yet, you should try them out.

The secondo part were just slightly above the primo part in difficulty. The secondo plays mostly basic 2 hands together with single note lines in both hands.

http://www.musicroom...1/details.html

#14 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:12

I agree with Latin Pianist and Norway, you need very, very easy material to start with and arranging your own can be the best option.  For example, I have used ideas from the Keyboard adventures for Little monsters books to make duets in which there is more playing alternately than both partners together as continuity can be a serious difficulty at first.

#15 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 08 July 2014 - 16:59

Pupil has just brought me back a duet book which I had lent out to one of her friends, an ex pupil. It's called First favourite Christmas duets by Lynn Freeman Olsen. These again have both parts suitable for beginner pianists.Obviously not very appropriate at the moment, but there is another book in the series called First Favourite Duets which I have used with siblings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: duets, adults, beginners, easy