Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:46

I have vague memories of validation being problematic for me.

#17 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:50

I don't remember validating, but I was invited to join by another member who knew a moderator so it was very quick. I was looking for piano friends/groups/opportunities when I moved area about 6 years ago. It's useful to see what issues people have (and the teacher comments are v useful for an amateur learner like me!) but I don't post that much.

#18 ABN

ABN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Member: 899576

Posted 06 September 2019 - 14:14

When I joined a few months back I filled out the entry form and duly received a confirmation email however I was stuck on validating for several days so I emailed the moderators and shortly after I was able to post

#19 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from the Rhubarb Triangle, Heavy Woollen District, Yorkshire

Posted 06 September 2019 - 18:34

Second attempt to send a note has failed with the same error as this morning.

#20 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 06 September 2019 - 19:03

I have written to a Moderator and sent it off (in theory at any rate). See what happens now, if anything.
Thanks for your efforts.

#21 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Lancaster; originally from the Rhubarb Triangle, Heavy Woollen District, Yorkshire

Posted 06 September 2019 - 19:31

I don't understand why my messages weren't getting through. When the forum was unavailable  for maintenance a couple of weeks ago I used exactly the same method and got through to the IT team straight away.

Off topic; I have been playing some lovely grand pianos today. Good job I wasn't buying as goodness knows how I would choose between them. One was a £78,000 Bosendorfer. 

#22 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6192 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:47

As far as I can tell, the last time a mod posted, other than the recent communication failure, it was to post an advert for something and that was a year ago. 

#23 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:55

Well the guy I wrote to was online here yesterday afternoon but had gone off before I wrote and hasn‘t read the message yet. Maybe he takes an hour or two off sometimes. Just because Mods don‘t write, it doesn‘t necessarily mean they don‘t read. I‘ll give him a decent chance before trying again. After all, this problem, if it is indeed a problem, has possibly been going on for months, another day or so will not change much.

#24 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 20:52

Fingers crossed. It looks as though something might be happening in this area. I haven‘t had a reply to any of my messages, three to moderators, one to the IT guy who validated mine but it seems has now gone elsewhere, one reporting my own post with a message and two messages to -Contact us- but it looks as if the new members since the beginning of August are now members instead of validating. There are still a load of earlier ones ‘waiting‘ but perhaps whatever it was which was delaying things, is no longer.
If someone did something, thank-you whoever you are.

#25 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 21:08

Well done Gran'piano

#26 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:42

Just in case anyone doesn't know where to find them, there is a list of Moderators here, which shows when each was last 'active' on this board. I don't know exactly what 'active' means though - maybe just when they last posted. I know that when I was Moderating on another forum, Moderators could snoop around without being seen by members. Maybe we would then have been seen as 'private' on the 'last active' list.
According to the list EdGj, bless his cotton socks, is 'busy upgrading the forum' but as we never know how long that message has been there, I am not holding my breath.

:offTopic: In my last missive to the Mods, which seems to have had some effect, I said something along the lines of 'I am getting old and if something doesn't happen soon, I might be dead before it does'.

#27 TomABRSM

TomABRSM

Mod

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 897558

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:15

Just in case anyone doesn't know where to find them, there is a list of Moderators here, which shows when each was last 'active' on this board. I don't know exactly what 'active'  means though - maybe just when they last posted. I know that when I was Moderating on another forum, Moderators could snoop around without being seen by members. Maybe then we would then have been seen as 'private' on the 'last active' list.

According to the list EdGj, bless his cotton socks, is 'busy upgrading the forum' but as we never know how long that message has been there, I am not holding my breath.

:offTopic: In my last missive to the Mods, which seems to have had some effect, I said something along the lines of 'I am getting old and if something doesn't happen soon, I might be dead before it does'.

Hi Gran'Piano,

There was an issue with the validation of new members so thank you for drawing attention to that, I have now started to manually approve them in batches so you should see a significant increase of new members in the next few weeks. As for forum moderation - as most people on here are adults we do not actively moderate the forum, we trust you to moderate yourselves. Any flagged issues come through to me and I decide what action to take based on the issue.

Thanks,

Tom

#28 TomABRSM

TomABRSM

Mod

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 897558

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:18

My understanding is that the validation process is there to filter out spam bots. Many of the 'members' waiting to be validated will not actually be genuine attempts from musicians to become a member.

Yes, this is the issue.

If you spot any posts or members that are spam, please report them so they can be deleted.

#29 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 18:21

Hi Gran'Piano,

There was an issue with the validation of new members so thank you for drawing attention to that, I have now started to manually approve them in batches so you should see a significant increase of new members in the next few weeks. As for forum moderation - as most people on here are adults we do not actively moderate the forum, we trust you to moderate yourselves. Any flagged issues come through to me and I decide what action to take based on the issue.

Thanks,

Tom

I was tempted to write that I am not a ‘Hi‘ person but a ‘Good afternoon‘ person, as is my wont, but decided not to push my luck.
Thanks a lot for clearing this up. I appreciate your telling us what is happening now.

#30 JanW

JanW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 899777

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:12

Hi.  I joined the forum on 15 July.  Have only just been 'validated' - and only after chasing.  It's been frustrating to say the least!