#1 ReadingTeacher

ReadingTeacher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 893704

Posted 20 October 2019 - 17:29

Hello all,

I have query about the ‘model answer’ for the 2018 Grade 5 Theory (Paper A) - Question 6(e). The question asks for candidate to rewrite 2 bars from Mozart Sonata (4/4 time) using notes and rests that are TWICE the value and to put the new time signature in.

The query is on the ‘beaming’ convention of the model answer:

In 4/2 time, where notes and rests have been grouped into crotchets instead of minims as is usually the case.

A few teachers and I assumed that the answer mirrored the groupings of the original extract where notes and rests were grouped in quaver beats despite 4/4 time signature (probably to reflect phrasing).

My question is whether a candidate will still get full marks if he/she had beamed the notes to reflect 4 minim beats in the solution of 4/2 time.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

#2 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1125 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:29

My question is whether a candidate will still get full marks if he/she had beamed the notes to reflect 4 minim beats in the solution of 4/2 time.

Since the question is about doubling note lengths, not replicating beaming, I don't see why the use of standard beaming should be penalised. I would only expect a deduction of marks if the beaming is actually wrong.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grade 5 theory, Grouping notes and rests