#1 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • Member: 10724
  • London

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:37

ABRSM is strengthening its current diploma offering with the addition of a new performance-only qualification.

View the full article

#2 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:37

Thanks Ed. I would like to know please, how you know that an own choice piece is grade 8 standard or above if it doesn't appear in any syllabus lists.

And are songs which appear on other boards' grade 8 syllabus lists acceptable? If so, what about those which give a suggested band of grades, such as LCM Musical Theatre, which lists some songs as suitable for grade 7-diploma or grade 8-diploma.

#3 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41755 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:32

Following on from the thread on the diploma forum, the repertoire lists are inaccessible when viewing the ARSM webpage on iPads : can someone at ABRSM fix this, please? Thanks!

#4 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • London

Posted 09 August 2016 - 15:10

Hi both,

Splog, I'm just awaiting a response to your query from our Syllabus team, which I'll post when available.

Barry, in testing we're able to access the repertoire lists when viewing the ARSM pages in Safari on an iPad - are you not seeing the 'Download ARSM repertoire lists for your student's instrument' drop-down feature (which opens up when selected to reveal the relevant download options) when you load the page http://forums.abrsm.org/...ers/#repertoire

Thanks,

Ed

#5 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41755 posts
  • South East London

Posted 09 August 2016 - 15:30

I can see the syllabus, but not the repertoire lists : there's an acre of white space where they should be, Ed. Can see them fine on my laptop, it's just on my iPad where there's a problem.

#6 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • London

Posted 09 August 2016 - 18:31

Thanks Barry - I have an idea as to why that might be the case. Would you mind trying again? We've updated some of the styling to address an issue not dissimilar to the one you're experiencing. If that hasn't solved the problem, would you mind letting me know what type of iPad, which browser (e.g. Safari) and which version of iOS you're running so that we can try to replicate the situation? 

Ed

#7 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41755 posts
  • South East London

Posted 09 August 2016 - 18:42

Thanks Barry - I have an idea as to why that might be the case. Would you mind trying again? We've updated some of the styling to address an issue not dissimilar to the one you're experiencing. If that hasn't solved the problem, would you mind letting me know what type of iPad, which browser (e.g. Safari) and which version of iOS you're running so that we can try to replicate the situation? 

Ed

It's now fixed and visible : well done, and thanks, Ed :)

#8 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • London

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:23

No problem. 

Splog, in answer to your question, own-choice repertoire does not need to have appeared on an ABRSM syllabus, but should be of the same (or a higher) standard as ABRSM Grade 8. Repertoire can come from the syllabus lists of other boards, as long as it is comparable in level of musical demand to ABRSM Grade 8. The level can be determined by comparing it against repertoire set on ABRSM Grade 8 syllabuses. Some additional guidance is provided on our website. 

The main challenge at ARSM is sustaining, for 30 minutes, a consistent level of performance across the chosen programme of repertoire. This will be the primary focus of the examiners’ assessment, using the published criteria.

Thanks,

Ed

#9 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4999 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 29 August 2016 - 17:19

Had a horrible thought and just had to check the syllabus lists that ARSM was not another hoop to jump through before tackling DipABRSM. It is apparently not a prerequisite, which is a relief.