#1 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • Member: 10724
  • London

Posted 06 July 2016 - 23:01

ABRSM has today (7 July) released a new Piano syllabus for candidates who will be taking exams in 2017 and 2018.

View the full article

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:17

Just been reading about the new Prep test book, and it says it contains duets as well as solos. Just going to order a copy.

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17677 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:58

I have just looked at the Grade 7 and 8 repertoire, and without studying it in detail,  there are certainly a couple of Grade 7 pieces which are quite tough and have been previously set at Gr 8.  These are the Poulenc Nocturne8, and the Chopin C#MInor Nocture (Op Posth). I see Willie Wagglestick is back, thats a great piece and sure to be popular.

Grade 8 new syllabus seems very fair.  The Scarlatti may be popular, as the Bach prelude is quite tricky. I dont know that Mozart K400 Allegro, must look it up, but the K279 is straightforward enough. I think first movement of Beethoven F Minor is more approachable than the Rondo of the E Major and at List C I like the Medtner piece. The Mendelssohn 'Spinning song' may be popular.

These are just my initial personal thoughts.

#4 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Leicester

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:49

I'd choose A4: Prelude and Fugue in D minor, BWV 875 as I'm making my way through the P+F book anyway. 

Like B2: Allegro (1st movt from Sonata in C, K. 279), B5: Allegro (1st movt from Sonata in F minor, Op. 2 No. 1)

Still undecided between current and next syllabus. Spring just seems too soon :(

But in terms of C pieces, though I'm tempted to go for the obvious Chopin I think I'll listen to the other stuff first. 

C2: Intermezzo in A minor sounds good. I see (observing repeats). That's new! 

I like C14: Rachmaninov Daises. If I do this syllabus, it would be tempting if only to say I know a Rachmaninov piece :P

#5 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 894703
  • East Riding of Yorkshire

Posted 08 July 2016 - 17:55

In the general music forum there is clarification of what seems to be a challenge on the Chopin op 69 no.2. I don't know how to find out what the challenge is, so looked at all the various editions I have of this piece to work out what the issue coukd be and noticed some edition's chords are missing notes and are not as rich. Anyone know for sure what tge issue is?

#6 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 17:58

Never heard of Willie Wagglestick but will now never forget it. The name itself makes me want to learn it. Just listened to it and it's great.

#7 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17677 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 18:33

Never heard of Willie Wagglestick but will now never forget it. The name itself makes me want to learn it. Just listened to it and it's great.

LOL  I rarely play anything below Grade 8 these days, but Willie, and the other pieces in Jazzy Piano 2, I often play through for the fun.

#8 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 08 July 2016 - 18:50

Doesn't seem many years since it was set before.

#9 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17677 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 19:54

Doesn't seem many years since it was set before.

Willie was 2009-10

#10 Bang

Bang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Member: 892924

Posted 08 July 2016 - 21:43

Hello! 

What do you think about Grade 5? I am a bit disappointed. Pieces are not on the standard I expected for a Grade 5 and the C category does not contain a single piece that really appeals to me.

My daughter had also played 2 pieces of the Grade 6 alreadt so that would have been more suitable but she is not going to be able to do the Grade 5 theory in time...

#11 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Leicester

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:33

I see Mr Alan Chan has begun to ruin the music again. 

#12 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:19

Alan Chan can't wait to start can he? I think he does a good job in getting to grips with all the pieces in such a short time but if he spent less time rushing them onto youtube he might well produce more emotion in the pieces. Must admit, I do often look to his videos for guidance on occasions.

#13 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:24

Is it possible to keep the current syllabus available online until after the C session please?

It's tricky when trying to check something still current when the new list is up.

Apologies if it's there and I've missed it.

#14 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:24

Hello! 

What do you think about Grade 5? I am a bit disappointed. Pieces are not on the standard I expected for a Grade 5 and the C category does not contain a single piece that really appeals to me.

I played through C2 Gavotte by Shostakovich, and it seems extremely approachable - very much a "how" piece (I divide pieces into "how" pieces and "what" pieces, though most come somewhere along a sliding scale in between. A "what piece" is one where the hard work is learning the notes and the rhythm in the first place, but once you do that, the style virtually plays itself. A "how" piece is one where the note-bashing is not arduous, but getting the style right, including the touch and the communication etc does separate the sheep from the goats). The Kabalevsky in the alternative listings I have seen twice before in AB or Trinity grades, I'm sure 

#15 Blackett and Howden

Blackett and Howden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Member: 893066

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:37

Is it possible to keep the current syllabus available online until after the C session please?
It's tricky when trying to check something still current when the new list is up.
Apologies if it's there and I've missed it.

It is there. On the piano pages, above the big obvious box which says Grades 1-8 (2017-2018) is a smaller text link that says Grades 1-8 (2015-2016). And from the individual grades you can click on the tab that says 2015-16 to get that. Similarly for the 2010-16 syllabus on the brass pages.