22 replies to this topic

#16 pianodom

pianodom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Member: 899867

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:26

I considered doing LRSM when I retired 7 years ago, but didnt see the point as I dont teach and perform only occasionally. In any case my A Dip was ALCM (1963!) and they would probably have made me do DipABRSM first. I had learned Bach WTC Book 2 No 14 (My favourite of them all), was nearly there with Beethoven Op 31 No 2 and Chopin Ballade 3.

Hey @fsharpminor, I'm returning to the piano after many years and will never teach or perform (except to my cat/family/friends).  Personally I find the diplomas a great way of focusing and enjoying practicing towards a goal -  I definitely learnt my dipabrsm pieces better than I have before and found it really satisfying.  Not everyone needs that kind of pressure/goal to move forwards and learn something properly - I do though!

Love the Ballades 3 and 4, I think they would be more sensible for an exam as they don't look so technically demanding and maybe a bit less 'done' to the examiners.

#17 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 12 October 2019 - 18:01

Ballade 4 is significantly more difficult than Ballade 1 (both technically and musically). I studied it at university and my teacher told me that it was good to learn the notes, but that a decent performance required more maturity and would come with age. 

I don't think any of the Ballades would be considered 'less done' by an examiner. That's not to say don't use them for an exam (look at Pathetique in DipA level) but just be aware of the risk.

#18 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17677 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 12 October 2019 - 19:04

I considered doing LRSM when I retired 7 years ago, but didnt see the point as I dont teach and perform only occasionally. In any case my A Dip was ALCM (1963!) and they would probably have made me do DipABRSM first. I had learned Bach WTC Book 2 No 14 (My favourite of them all), was nearly there with Beethoven Op 31 No 2 and Chopin Ballade 3.

Hey @fsharpminor, I'm returning to the piano after many years and will never teach or perform (except to my cat/family/friends).  Personally I find the diplomas a great way of focusing and enjoying practicing towards a goal -  I definitely learnt my dipabrsm pieces better than I have before and found it really satisfying.  Not everyone needs that kind of pressure/goal to move forwards and learn something properly - I do though!

Love the Ballades 3 and 4, I think they would be more sensible for an exam as they don't look so technically demanding and maybe a bit less 'done' to the examiners.

I take your point , but at 72 now and recent quadruple bypass surgery, I really cant see me practising L Dip level pieces anymore.. Haven't played at all for 6 weeks now, but will start again shortly. Just for fun.

#19 pianodom

pianodom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:10

I take your point , but at 72 now and recent quadruple bypass surgery, I really cant see me practising L Dip level pieces anymore.. Haven't played at all for 6 weeks now, but will start again shortly. Just for fun.

Wow, well I love that you're still playing and learning such demanding pieces, hope you start again soon!  Good luck and speedy recovery :)

#20 pianodom

pianodom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:16

Ballade 4 is significantly more difficult than Ballade 1 (both technically and musically). I studied it at university and my teacher told me that it was good to learn the notes, but that a decent performance required more maturity and would come with age. 

I don't think any of the Ballades would be considered 'less done' by an examiner. That's not to say don't use them for an exam (look at Pathetique in DipA level) but just be aware of the risk.

Oh, I wouldn't have guessed from listening and watching videos of the 4 Ballades that 4 was a lot more difficult - looks like no.1 is the bad boy of the bunch.  Maybe I'll try and learn them all (over the next 10 years!).

And I did the Pathetique for my DipABRSM  :D  :piano: :whistling:  Yes in retrospect it probably hurt mark-wise as I didn't play it particularly well due to rushed preparation and it being so well known played by the greats.   Good thing to keep in mind for LRSM prep :)

#21 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 17 October 2019 - 13:02

I had learned Bach WTC Book 2 No 14 (My favourite of them all)

I hope you are still playing it. It’s a wonderful piece. My new favourite too.

#22 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17677 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 17 October 2019 - 18:11

Those who dont know this one should at least try the prelude, which is beautifully lyrical and quite straightforward.  The fugue gets harder the further you get into it. but still quite manageable with practice. In

fact I will go and play it right now !!   I only started playing again last night (since before my heart surgery 7 weeks ago) with some gentle Grade8 ish pieces.

#23 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:49

Those who dont know this one should at least try the prelude, which is beautifully lyrical and quite straightforward.  The fugue gets harder the further you get into it. but still quite manageable with practice. In
fact I will go and play it right now !!   I only started playing again last night (since before my heart surgery 7 weeks ago) with some gentle Grade8 ish pieces.

That’s good to hear!