#91 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 03 December 2019 - 21:37

People who let their kids run riot in pubs and restaurants. Actually, anyone who takes their kids to a pub before they can sit down and have a "grown up" conversation, full stop.

#92 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6612 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 03 December 2019 - 22:57

Why is it that many teenagers these days talk at the tops of their voices to their friends when they're standing next to them? 

#93 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7896 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:55

Probably because when they were very young they were stuck in front of the Tv listening to the vile screaming voices which dub the awful  cartoons thought to be fit material for chidren's consumption.

#94 Iulia

Iulia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Member: 899283

Posted 05 December 2019 - 13:25

Musical toys that don't work.

OK, I don't expect a £5 bit of plastic to sound like a £3000 hand-made flute, but it'd be nice if the notes of a toy xylophone were actually in the right order. Being vaguely in tune would be a bonus, but let's start by having the note getting higher from one end to the other. And if you're going to go to the trouble of making a plastic moulding the shape of an ocarina, complete with finger-holes, what on earth is the point of giving it an internal partition such that it's basically a poor-quality whistle disguised as an ocarina. Just make an ocarina. Even if it doesn't follow any known tuning or fingering scheme, being able to change the pitch of the note by blocking the holes would be far more helpful and realistic than just having a vague, nasty, unchangeable whistle. And as for electronic keyboards aimed at the very small - what half-baked toy-designer ever had the idea that small kids only play one note at once? Of course they're going to press multiple keys. Modern electronics ought to be up to the job of responding with multiple notes.

I bought a Peppa Pig recorder in poundland once. And as you said I wasn't expecting miracles, but I did expect it actually to function as a recorder - ie the holes even roughly corresponding to the musical notes on a 'real' recorder. I did actually seriously consider complaining to the manufacturer under the trade description act, but in the end just threw it out .....

#95 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3838 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 05 December 2019 - 16:50

My granddaughter has a purple Peppa pig recorder which does play like a proper one but we're about to upgrade!

#96 Iulia

Iulia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Member: 899283

Posted 05 December 2019 - 18:11

My granddaughter has a purple Peppa pig recorder which does play like a proper one but we're about to upgrade!

Maybe they got a lot of complaints!!! :lol:

#97 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 06 December 2019 - 17:30

I bought a Peppa Pig recorder in poundland once. And as you said I wasn't expecting miracles, but I did expect it actually to function as a recorder - ie the holes even roughly corresponding to the musical notes on a 'real' recorder. I did actually seriously consider complaining to the manufacturer under the trade description act, but in the end just threw it out .....

If you bought it at Poundland then it was probably a knockoff. Counterfeiters don't give a toss about what it sounds like.

#98 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4991 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 06 December 2019 - 18:07

If you bought it at Poundland then it was probably a knockoff. Counterfeiters don't give a toss about what it sounds like.

I can't remember where I saw a similar thing - I think it had a teddy on it rather than Peppa pig, but I did notice that the cardboard to which it was attached described the thing as a flute. :o

#99 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 06 December 2019 - 18:58

Following on from that. anything which says flute on it and then has a picture of a recorder as illustration

#100 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4734 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:51

And the first round robin all-about-me letter has arrived - actually a booklet with a page per month about the sender's year. Not even in a Christmas card. Literally a booklet in an envelope.

#101 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2864 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:09

And the first round robin all-about-me letter has arrived - actually a booklet with a page per month about the sender's year. Not even in a Christmas card. Literally a booklet in an envelope.

Luckily I don't get many of these, but I do get a rather brilliant one every year from my daughter-in-law's parents in Norway, which has a few small photos and a rhyming poem about their year. So very clever.   

#102 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2881 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:26

I like round robins. I don't care if they're a bit boasty, I still like to hear people's news. We do get one each year which is utterly hilarious in its boastiness though, even more so as it's from someone I see every week so I don't need the letter in the first place!

#103 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4734 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:31

:lol: Feel free to post editted highlights Banjogirl. Be sure to include key words such as "headhunted," and lots of exclamation marks at the end of every sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#104 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2881 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 08 December 2019 - 14:33

Have you had one from the same person??!!!

#105 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4734 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 14:50

:lol:  Is yours a vicar? I thought Christmas was supposed to be celebrating Jesus as the main man, but then again I don't know much about religion so I may have got that wrong.