#1 Lala-Musique

Lala-Musique

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Member: 307928
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:14

Is anyone else getting annoyed with the appoggiatura?

All of the recordings online are of pianists playing the ornament as an acciaccatura and it's not helping my students at all.  Is it played correctly on the ABRSM CD and, if so, is it worth buying the CD?

I'm currently on Sibelius, re-writing the whole minuet out with the ornamentation written as it should sound.  I've explained to my students why it's written like that as well.

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhhhh!

And breathe, breathe, relax.

Cheers,

Cari

#2 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:53

I think they should all be acciaccaturas.  Apart from the notation, the whole movement is snappy and energetic and I also prefer a slight exaggeration of the dotted rhythms.

#3 Lala-Musique

Lala-Musique

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:55

In the ABRSM book they're written as appogiaturas.

#4 Lala-Musique

Lala-Musique

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:07

I've just looked at versions on the IMSLP and in my Beethoven book (the red one published by ABRSM) and they're all written with acciaccaturas.

I wonder why the actual G6 pieces book is different.  The little interpretation rhythm thingy above the music says appoggiatura.

I think the acciaccaturas sounds snappy too, and I like it.  I just don't want to let my students down by getting it 'wrong'.

#5 Lala-Musique

Lala-Musique

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:13

Is there any commentary explaining why it differs from every reliable edition of the 19th and 20th centuries?

The notes at the bottom just say 'the grace note should be played on the beat as indicated'.  No info in the teaching notes.

#6 Lala-Musique

Lala-Musique

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:40

Whoever, at the ABRSM, is responsible for introducing this unnecessary confusion has some explaining to do.

They're in detention!

Thank you for your help TheMuso.  That's made life a bit easier for me and two of my students.  :)

#7 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 14 January 2015 - 14:48

Yes you're right, CariLaythorpe, I just checked the grade book and the notation and the realisation shows them as appoggiaturas.  Pah! they are still acciaccaturas (as any fule kno! :lol:) Personally I find this edition very poor overall and have given pupils who are playing this piece a copy of the old AB Tovey edition which in my opinion shows phrasing and the layout between the hands at the end of the Minuet in a much clearer way. 

Similarly with the Grade 7 Glinka fugue, I had to get a clean copy from imslp so I didn't have to look at all those nasty little hooks the AB editions are so fond of !

#8 deb176

deb176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Member: 717120

Posted 14 January 2015 - 21:02

And the grade 8 Schubert also has some unnecessary complications that are solved by using the Henle edition instead of the ABRSM book!

I am relieved to see others have come to the same conclusion as me regarding the Beethoven in grade 6.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ornamentation, Argh, Grade 6 Piano