#1 Solipsister

Solipsister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Member: 900189

Posted 24 May 2020 - 16:52

Hi,

I’m an experienced singer - I took lessons from the age of 12 to 23, completed all the numbered grades etc and always took great care of my voice. I’m 29 now and in the past years haven’t been singing much. I mean, I sing at home, with my guitar or when playing the piano, when in the house on my own... In class, sometimes (teacher). But I don’t sing properly like I used to.

I’ve had bad hayfever recently that antihistamines help with - the hayfever started with a scratchy sore throat. I’ve also been singing a lot more without warming up (again, just around the house without even thinking about it). I’ve been having lots of very, very long phone calls since I live alone. After these, I sometimes feel hoarse, as though I’ve been shouting, although I haven’t. By the end of these phone calls I can hear vocal fry in my voice.

i feel like I have a frog in my throat a lot of the time, though you can’t hear it in my voice (unless, like I say, I’ve been talking too long). Also, I feel like my pitch is slipping a bit,  it not in my upper range - in the centre of my voice. It’s like halfway through a note my voice just falls. Not a breath issue, like something has shifted in my throat.

Anyway. I am a catastrophiser by nature and always jump to the worst possible conclusion. And while the above could all be from hayfever and lack of practice for the past 2/3s of a decade, I thought I’d ask here and see if anyone has experience with this, or words of reassurance. Obviously none of us are ENTs (that I know of). But does anyone have any insight?

#2 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10817 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 24 May 2020 - 20:49

Sorry to hear that you've been having problems, Solipsister. This may not apply to you, but I've been having problems with the middle of my voice for months, on-and-off. I've recently realised that it's related to some issues I've been having with acid reflux/heartburn. My voice is always worse for a few days after I've had a heartburn attack. 

#3 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6495 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:51

My hay fever has kicked off in the last week or so big style (I can't complain as until the last couple of years, it used to kick off with the very first tree pollens in March....).

I take nose drops (e.g. Beconase), eye drops (e.g. Opticrom), and antihistamine tablets (there are various options).

You might need to be drinking some water? Antihistamines in part work by dehydrating you to some extent. 

#4 Solipsister

Solipsister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:26

Ok, thank you both - that is reassuring! I have been eating less well as isolation fatigue has crept in so heartburn OR dehydration could both be contributing! I’ll try a healthier diet and more water for a while and if my voice doesn’t clear up, at least I’ll likely feel better!

#5 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 25 May 2020 - 19:46

My voice is terrible at the moment because although I sing all the time I rarely do any proper practice. I really notice the lack of choir rehearsals and doing anything with any effort. I can't sing any high notes and my jaw aches. It'll all come right when I either start putting some work in or when we get back to rehearsals. I can only imagine that the chorus is going to sound awful for the first few weeks because we'll all be in the same place vocally.

I wouldn't worry. I also take antihistamines and they are very drying.

#6 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14697 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 25 May 2020 - 22:09

Banjogirl, a former forums member has made a series of short videos on exercises for keeping the voice going through lockdown.

They're worth watching, if only for the hilarious subtitles!

PM me if you'd like a link.

:)

#7 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 22:18

Banjogirl, a former forums member has made a series of short videos on exercises for keeping the voice going through lockdown.

Thanks Cyrilla, though it's not so much that I don't know what to do as that I can't be bothered. Without a proper rehearsal each week it's really really hard to motivate myself to practise. I usually cut the grass on rehearsal day so for the last few weeks I've spent the time warming up, then at least I can sing better when we have our Zoom rehearsal in the evening. I don't know what the neighbours think! Our musical director is putting in so much effort to keep us all going that I'm trying to do something, but it often feels like too much effort. I'm a lazy beggar at the best of times! We're supposed to be having a sectional. We are the worst section for that. We usually have one a year, when we mainly eat cake, and we've already done that this year and now I'm supposed to organise another one on zoom, without cake!

#8 Solipsister

Solipsister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:12

Thanks Cyrilla, though it's not so much that I don't know what to do as that I can't be bothered. Without a proper rehearsal each week it's really really hard to motivate myself to practise. I usually cut the grass on rehearsal day so for the last few weeks I've spent the time warming up, then at least I can sing better when we have our Zoom rehearsal in the evening. I don't know what the neighbours think! Our musical director is putting in so much effort to keep us all going that I'm trying to do something, but it often feels like too much effort. I'm a lazy beggar at the best of times! We're supposed to be having a sectional. We are the worst section for that. We usually have one a year, when we mainly eat cake, and we've already done that this year and now I'm supposed to organise another one on zoom, without cake!

What section are you banjo girl?

Cyrilla, may I have a link to the video? I think perhaps if I do some proper warm ups and get my voice into shape, I’ll be less inclined to shriek along to my playing or washing up without any prep.

#9 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:29

I'm a tenor. We're a small chorus and for a long time there were only two tenors and we just got into the habit of never having sectionals. Now there are four of us, which is much better, but as section leader I really need to get a bit more organised. Our needs are different from those of the other sections, because we all read music so there are no note issues to deal with. But our tendency to sing a bit flat, as a section, is a perrenial problem. I did at least convince our MD that the tag she had written for our new song, which had us ending on a top g sharp, was not going to happen!

#10 Solipsister

Solipsister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:53

I'm a tenor. We're a small chorus and for a long time there were only two tenors and we just got into the habit of never having sectionals. Now there are four of us, which is much better, but as section leader I really need to get a bit more organised. Our needs are different from those of the other sections, because we all read music so there are no note issues to deal with. But our tendency to sing a bit flat, as a section, is a perrenial problem. I did at least convince our MD that the tag she had written for our new song, which had us ending on a top g sharp, was not going to happen!

Yeesh. I’m an alto and my top note is a5. On a good day. It never occurred to me to be embarrassed by my range! (I’m average, whatever, it’s fine.)

I suspected you must be a tenor as alto sectionals are v serious business at all times ;) and sops have the melody so. (Joke.  :unsure: Sorry sops. Your parts are tough too.)

#11 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14697 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 26 May 2020 - 23:04

Solipsister, I'll PM you the links.

#12 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 13:24

Cyrilla, my messaging has gone weird and I can't reply to any pms, but thanks for the link. I took a quick look before I had to go out and it looks really good. I'll share it with the chorus.

#13 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 13:27

Yeesh. I’m an alto and my top note is a5. On a good day. It never occurred to me to be embarrassed by my range! (I’m average, whatever, it’s fine.)

I suspected you must be a tenor as alto sectionals are v serious business at all times ;) and sops have the melody so. (Joke. :unsure: Sorry sops. Your parts are tough too.)

I'm a lady tenor in a barbershop chorus. We're very special.:)

#14 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6495 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 27 May 2020 - 14:35

I suspected you must be a tenor as alto sectionals are v serious business at all times ;) and sops have the melody so. (Joke. :unsure: Sorry sops. Your parts are tough too.)

I'm a lady tenor in a barbershop chorus. We're very special. :)

ooohhh cue the purists....  :)

I have the challenge of retraining from baritone to first tenor.... after it was discovered I can sing top C.....

#15 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 15:20

I'm a lady tenor in a barbershop chorus. We're very special. :)
ooohhh cue the purists.... :)

I have the challenge of retraining from baritone to first tenor.... after it was discovered I can sing top C.....

While I'm planning to become a bass because I'm getting so squeaky on the high notes!