Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:32

After enjoying this video by James Galway, I got my flute mouthpiece out and had a go. Then I tried to practise the violin and realised I had deafened myself temporarily in my right ear. Has anyone else suffered this?

Do you ever practise with just the mouthpiece, and should it have been obvious to use earplugs from the outset?

https://www.youtube....h?v=VQg0vScnQ8E

#2 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3290 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:43

Just put your hand over the open end.

#3 JimD

JimD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Member: 159407
  • Washington UK

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:39

I use musicians' earplugs when practising the piccolo, sometimes just in my right ear, because that's the one that gets it most. Not played on the headjoint for a long time though.

#4 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • London SE5

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:47

I use musicians' earplugs when practising the piccolo, sometimes just in my right ear, because that's the one that gets it most. Not played on the headjoint for a long time though.

Thanks, Jim. Yes, the piccolo must be a pain to play at times. I had a plastic Yamaha fife once, but couldn't get much out of it, except forte-fortissimo. I binned it, but maybe that was silly.

#5 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Member: 898525
  • South Shropshire

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:03

I find that when playing piccolo for too long ( not something that happens much as I still cant get the higher octaves on it ...but that is down to lack of practice on my  part`) i can get temp deafness in right ear too. I don't find I get it with just the mouthpiece but then I do as BP suggests and alway use my hand over the open end. 

#6 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 02 April 2020 - 16:30

Lovely video though! Yes, I see your dilemma. Even with my quiet baroque flute head, it's not going to do your hearing much good using the head joint alone like that for an extended time.

BP, do you mean cover the end completely, so it plays a lower note, or just partially? James Galway is demonstrating how you play the octave by moving your lips; is it OK to do that with the covered end, where it obviously plays a different harmonic? It's a whole lot easier...

#7 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3290 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 16:33

As a teacher I don't do pitch changing exercises just with the head but with the whole flute.  Head-only stuff is for the early sound production, tonguing and breathing exercises in the world of Bag.

x

#8 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 02 April 2020 - 18:57

... then in the interests of retaining hearing in both ears (a useful aim even in an amateur musician) I shall stick to the world of Bag.

#9 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6438 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:48

... then in the interests of retaining hearing in both ears (a useful aim even in an amateur musician) I shall stick to the world of Bag.

Exhibiting quintessential epitome of wisdom

#10 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • London SE5

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:06

While I've got everyone's attention, I wonder if I could ask about the recommended fingering systems and extra keys?

I'll always devote 99% of my time to the violin, but as an ex oboist, I have hopes of playing simple flute music without too much effort.

I have one of these and was contemplating one of these, but choosing a fingering system is pure guesswork for me. I think I did minimum research and found that the split E key was recommended or something.

Oops, I didn't even spot that the Yamaha had open holes. Closed holes are best aren't they? (unless you want to do glissandos, lol)

#11 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3290 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:39

You have BAGMAIL :D

Bx

#12 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1213 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 12 April 2020 - 22:48

I never practice with just the mouthpiece anymore.  I used to do it when I was very new to the flute