#1 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:11

I'm wondering if anyone could help me think of something new to play!

Since my lessons stopped, I've reverted to my usual partners in crime, aka Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn and Chopin, with a bit of Bach thrown in for good measure.

I'm coming to the end of two big projects I set myself - Beethoven sonata Op.79 and Mozart variations on Ah Vous Dirai-Je Maman. They're both exactly what I was looking for - pieces that are enjoyable to play and to listen to, but with lots of left hand technical stuff as well (my left hand being much weaker than my right), and I feel I've improved a lot as a result.

Can anyone recommend anything of a similar level which also ticks all those boxes …. but preferably by a different composer as I could easily get stuck in the late 18th/ early 19th century otherwise!

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18051 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:55

Have you done any Schumann ?  I have always enjoyed playing the 9 pieces of Waldscenen Op82 (Forest Scenes) , none of which is harder than Grade 8 level  (at least 4 have been set for Grade 8).  Free scores here...https://imslp.org/wi...humann,_Robert)

Another suggestion Schubert  'Moments Musicaux' D780.  Six manageable pieces....https://imslp.org/wi...chubert,_Franz)

Of course if you want earlier, do some Scarlatti sonatas, over 600 of them (they vary in difficulty from Grade 5 to impossible).   For 20th C you might manage a few of the Shostakovich 24 Preludes Op34   . A couple have been in Grade 7 including the well known Dflat one used as music for Richard Briers 'Ever Decreasing Circles'  . Some also have been Grade 8 and there are 3 or 4 easier ones also.

They are just a few off the top of my head which I have enjoyed playing

#3 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 21 May 2020 - 13:26

Debussy Preludes? (probably only if your piano's in tune). Start with the easiest ones and work upwards.

Ravel Sonatine? Start with the middle movement (mvt 3 is the hardest)

Or some Scarlatti? I particularly like K27

Shostakovich Preludes / Preludes and Fugues?

#4 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4957 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 21 May 2020 - 17:33

I'd like to know what the piece is called on track 34 (no. 8) on Paul Harris' Improve Your Aural Grade 5 CD. It's Latin American and 20th C and sounds like a fabulous piece to do (if rather triicky).

#5 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:17

Some great ideas, thank you! I haven't tried any Schumann since some of the easier pieces a few years back, so I will look into that. I do enjoy Scarlatti, seems a bit ahead of his time somehow with some great harmonies, and there's a couple I have that I could try. 

Funny that Shostakovich is mentioned! I think all our great minds are thinking alike on that one, as I had a listen to Ashkenazy's version of the Prelude and Fugue in A minor which is in my Grade 8 book. Awesome, I ended up with a big grin on my face! I think I would be opting to play it a tad slower than Askenazy (ahem!!) but it really does seem fun and certainly ticks the box of keeping my left hand occupied. So I may start there. 

Will definitely be having a listen to the other suggestions too, lots to keep me amused! 

Though I have never played a Bach Prelude and Fugue, need to do that. Prelude in C Major was the first thing I learned on the piano and it will always be embedded in my memory. I need to find the Fugue that goes with it - would that be doable?

#6 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:37

That's not the easiest one to start with as a first fugue.  The C minor in Book 1 was my first pair - most of the 3 voice fugues are inherently easier than 4 voice ones ...

#7 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18051 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:04

Re Shost I'd start with the 24 Preludes Op34 (I play them all), then move on to some of the Preludes and Fugues Op87.  Several have been (in C , A Minor, A Major, D Major, B Major, B flat Major)  in Grade 8 syllabus and a couple of Preludes only (eg F#Minor  :) ) in Grade 7. 

#8 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:50

Thanks for the tip, SingingPython,  I will see if I can buy Book 1 online (hmph, prefer spending my money at my nice music shop but no choice at the moment.)

Looking forward to all the Shostakovich! I did enjoy the slightly Bach like feel to the pieces, but with Shostakovich melodies … I'm sure Bach would have enjoyed these too!