#22741 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5703 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 31 July 2021 - 14:58

I've made so much mess doing D.I.Y. I've just had to hoover the hoover! :rolleyes:

#22742 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6833 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:58

It must have been an interesting project. :)

#22743 zwhe

zwhe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 01 August 2021 - 13:27

Bathroom finally arrived and is all in good condition. My son & I removed the old bath, only to find water has been leaking and not only is the floor rotten, but one of the joists as well. Now I need to find someone who can replace a joist, preferably tomorrow as we don't have a bath until its done. There is always something...

#22744 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6952 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 01 August 2021 - 15:55

You know those days where you try to do one job, which reveals that something someone did last week has mucked up the thing you needed to use  ... I've just had one of those moments. 

And it was made worse by the fact that it's to do with IT and computers which always tend to either distress me, or enrage me so that I want to chuck the offending bit through the window (it was the printer this afternoon). 

Mr Hedgehog was on the receiving end of my ire today, although he wasn't the culprit last week, and has in fact "kind of" fixed the printer so it will now work although I have to remember how to make it work using a new "route" on the system.

Stress!!!  :ninja:  :crying:  :wacko:

#22745 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7192 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 01 August 2021 - 18:14

Bathroom finally arrived and is all in good condition. My son & I removed the old bath, only to find water has been leaking and not only is the floor rotten, but one of the joists as well. Now I need to find someone who can replace a joist, preferably tomorrow as we don't have a bath until its done. There is always something...

Commiserations... I just had the leaking bath scenario a month ago. Luckily (or unluckily, whichever way you want to look at it) we found out early because it was dripping through the ceiling of the floor below, which fortunately is also within my flat. With the previous incarnation of this bathroom, I only found out that the toilet cistern was leaking when someone spotted mushrooms growing out of the ceiling of the floor below.  :blink:

Hope you manage to get it sorted promptly. 

#22746 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:09

@zwhe - I'm glad it turned up!

@Hedgehog - Printers deserve ire. They can be extremely irritating. Mr Z is irked by the 'can't find printer' routine. He points and says: 'It's here!' :lol:

#22747 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:23

Our lovely little wireless printer has always been faultlessly well behaved, connection-wise.  Broadband upgrade and new router...computer and printer will no longer talk to one another.  I look up the issue, it's pretty straightforward, though involves fiddling with router settings...decided that as computer and printer were next to one another, and 99.999999999% of my printing is from the computer (as opposed to ipad, etc), I'd just go old school and use a cable :lol:

#22748 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6952 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:56

Our lovely little wireless printer has always been faultlessly well behaved, connection-wise.  Broadband upgrade and new router...computer and printer will no longer talk to one another.  I look up the issue, it's pretty straightforward, though involves fiddling with router settings...decided that as computer and printer were next to one another, and 99.999999999% of my printing is from the computer (as opposed to ipad, etc), I'd just go old school and use a cable :lol:

Ours is attached by cable! We  I gave up on the bluetooth connection quite a while ago. It was working fine until DD and partner asked to scan some pictures. 

However, I'm hoping it'll behave again now as I use scanning quite a lot.  (Needless to say, I will not be giving DD permission to use scanner again in the near future  :angry:  :angry: ).

#22749 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:13

Mine used to scan until Microsoft decided to withdraw support for whatever Canon had used to communicate when doing scanning (I have a conspiracy theory that other manufacturers actually pay Microsoft to do this, so that everyone has to keep buying new hardware). Canon decided not to issue a new driver for my ancient printer/scanner because that way people would have to buy a new one. And WHSmith had a deal where buying a new printer (which came with ink cartridges) was cheaper than buying the cartridges on their own.

So I don't scan any more. It's a real pity. But I will not buy a new printer when the old one is physically fine. It is simply not acceptable to be dumping all this plastic rubbish in land-fill (and no, most of it doesn't get recycled, it just gets shuffled from waste-handler to waste-handler until the paper-trail's gone cold, and then buried or burnt; it's counted as "recycled" if it's exported to someone who says they'll recycle it, even if they don't, which has caused massive scandals in the past, and also the big backlog of 2017 when China started to refuse waste plastic as in fact they weren't recycling much of it, and were at risk of drowning in the stuff. It's actually quite difficult to recycle plastic, and generally cheaper to start fresh). To be honest, the big companies who sell electronic junk with built-in obsolescence are a plague on society, an economic burden on everyone else, and need a good (metaphorical) kicking, but since no one has any power over them, they can do what they want. Their business model is built on selling us stuff, rather than providing on-going support so the stuff actually does what we bought it to do. One day, some aliens are going to come across a vast blob of obsolete mobile phones, held together by gravity, and circling the sun, and they're going to look at this in bewilderment, trying to work out how on earth a life-form intelligent enough to build a mobile phone could be stupid enough to spend their lives on an eternal quest for the next model up.

#22750 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20513 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 02 August 2021 - 12:04

Yes - I feel your pain and agree with much that you say. 

I was forced to ditch a perfectly good printer - which I liked - when we ‘changed system’. 

I complained bitterly, all to no avail. It seemed criminal at the time, though I think we did give away the ‘old’ printer via gumtree or similar. 

The new printer was not a patch on the old one, and I have never liked it. 

#22751 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 02 August 2021 - 13:48

Printers can be a real pain.  I don't quite know why the compatibility problem has never been solved.  Postscript was supposed to be the solution as I recall, but I presume manufacturers are unwilling to pay Adobe the license fee for it as not doing so gives them another corner to cut.  I have an ancient HP laserjet that speaks postscript so will run with almost anything.  It was built like the proverbial brick outhouse and, though expensive enough in its day, I think the cost per sheet over its life (which is not yet over!) will be far lower than for printing on cheap, "disposable" inkjet printers.

I would not for an instant claim that printing from Linux is always straightforward, but generally if there is a driver for a printer it will always work irrespective of operating system upgrades, so that can be a way of keeping old printers going.  In fact, Linux is pretty good in terms of keeping old hardware going, often needing a lot less in the way of resources than some of its competitors.

I completely agree that it is insane to generate so much waste.  I think it's great that there is a requirement that all devices now have to charge via usb which at least does something to address the issue, however imperfectly (the mobile phone planet will probably have several charger moons).  When I rule the world I will be levying a big wastefulness tax on things like disposable printers and non-upgradable tech stuff :)  For anyone who has not come across it, there is an interesting review of the Fairphone here https://www.theguard...w-ethical-phone that asks - and answers - the question of how much it costs to own a more ethical phone.  You can also get it pre-loaded with the /e/ version of android here https://esolutions.shop

#22752 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 02 August 2021 - 17:18

Ah, a phone with bad bluetooth, the secret desire of everyone in the current pingdemic. On which...

Dear Mr Johnson,

I don't know whether you read music-exam-board forums. Probably not, because your session with an acoustic guitar at London Bridge station was fake. But hey, that's fine, you're not a musician, and I'm sure nothing else about you is fake. But I am a bit puzzled. So I just got back from my local supermarket, and it's a bit weird there. You see, there isn't any pasta, and the rice is down to the last three half-kg bags which were all about eight quid each, and there are hardly any biscuits, no fruit-juice, and most of the tinned beans were gone too. In fact there wasn't really very much of anything, except signs saying 'bear with us, we are experiencing high demand'. I asked the kid whether he'd bear with me and not eat for the next week or so, as Sainsbury's are experiencing high demand, but he seemed less enthusiastic about it. He wasn't sure who was doing all the demanding, so we asked a nice lady, and she said it wasn't so much high demand as low delivery. You see, she said that a lot of the lorry drivers are European, and ever since Brexit it's been really hard for them to get into the UK, so they aren't driving around delivering things. It seems that they don't feel very welcome here any more, so they've decided to drive around in other countries, where they do feel welcome. Also they didn't like waiting for ages at ports while people did paperwork. I'd never really thought about that before, that leaving Europe would mean that Europeans couldn't come here, and that all those nice Europeans who were working here would go away. Who'd have guessed? But I was wondering, did you know about it? Did you have any thoughts about how to get nice UK lorry drivers doing it instead? I wonder if you thought about easier ways to help food and things cross the borders? I suppose it's a bit of a problem to all those nice fishermen too, who used to sell their food abroad. I hope they don't mind that they voted Brexit. Ah well, we all make mistakes, I suppose.

Then of course, it would have been okay, but in the last couple of weeks, a lot of the drivers, the ones that hadn't already gone away, haven't been able to drive around because the Covid app has been sending them pings. They've been pinged, or pung, or whatever the past tense is. Now this is where I'm a bit puzzled, Mr Johnson. You've said we can all go back and play, and all the pubs are open, and all the youngsters can go back to their night-clubs. So I'm wondering, does this mean that you can't catch Covid from snogging someone while queuing for the club, or sharing beer-bottles, but it's super-risky taking a box off the back of a lorry where there's someone in the cab who sat on the bus with someone who tested positive?

Also I'm a bit puzzled about this mask thingy. Back at the beginning of Covid, you said we didn't really need masks because they didn't do anything. I'm sure you were right, even though all those nice doctors, nurses, and care-home workers seemed a bit upset at the time that they didn't have masks. Probably the masks were just comfort blankets, and they needed a bit of comfort. I'm sure all those people banging saucepans were nearly as good. Then you said we did have to wear masks because they were really useful. But now they aren't any more, so we've taken them all off. Except it's a free choice, so we still can if we want. Sainsbury's says we ought to, but you said we didn't ought to, or something? I suppose it's because these novel variants are a bit smaller or something, so they can get through masks, or something? I don't know. Maybe you do? Or those nice advisors you listen to so carefully.

So the ping-app hasn't changed, has it, so I suppose the ping-thing just means a lot of people have got Covid at the moment, so it's highly likely we'll find ourselves sitting on the same bus as someone with Covid (probably happens to you quite a lot, and that nice advisor of yours when he pops up to see his parents; does the bus stop outside the castle? Oh, yeah, I forgot, you're not on talking terms any more). So I'm wondering, if there's a lot of Covid around at the moment, like more than ever before, why is it such a good time to stop using masks on the bus?

Oh, thank you ever so much for letting the lorry drivers ignore the ping when they get pung. And all the other people who are doing useful things. That at least means they can get on with life like all the people who've gone out clubbing and simply turned their bluetooth off. Really useful discovery that: you can't get Covid if you turn your phone off! Who'd have thought it? But this is my question: so the Covid app was a government-sponsored, government-paid-for advisory system to stop Covid spreading, but now you're emphasising that it's only advisory, and we're okay to ignore it. So am I right: the government's official advice at the moment is to ignore the advice that it's officially-sponsored advice system is advising?

Best wishes,

Elemimele 

#22753 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 02 August 2021 - 17:22

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#22754 Aeolienne