PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 894703
  • East Riding of Yorkshire

Posted 23 June 2016 - 15:38

We'll I've just voted to leave. I'm not confident in what I've done, but it was a gut feeling really, based upon the many years where we've heard of bonkers court rulings all blamed on EU membership, as well as many other stupid things. Not into politics but happy to have done my bit in the name of democracy

#2 Jack Campin

Jack Campin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Member: 538413
  • near Edinburgh

Posted 23 June 2016 - 15:53

Look in your fridge.

See where your food comes from.

Now imagine the items from the EU costing a LOT more thanks to tariff barriers thrown up by British megafoodbiz and their hired government.

OK, maybe you can afford to throw that much money down the drain.  A lot of people can't.

#3 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 23 June 2016 - 16:05

In, no question.

#4 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 894703
  • East Riding of Yorkshire

Posted 23 June 2016 - 16:12

Yikes! There's a lot of stuff from Dublin in my fridge. A lot of tesco own brand though.

#5 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6156 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 23 June 2016 - 16:32

Remain. I ignored all the arguments; I voted Remain simply because I want us to be in Europe. Not ashamed to admit I voted based almost entirely on emotion. 

#6 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1622 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 23 June 2016 - 16:51

I voted IN (gave EU 7/10 as did Jeremy Corbyn).

"Always hold on tight to Nurse

Or you might get some one much worse"

:rolleyes:

#7 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1127 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 23 June 2016 - 17:11

We'll I've just voted to leave. I'm not confident in what I've done, but it was a gut feeling really, based upon the many years where we've heard of bonkers court rulings all blamed on EU membership, as well as many other stupid things.

There was an interesting article in The Independent last week, written by Boris Johnson's former colleague, Martin Fletcher, explaining that the very distorted view we have of the EU in Britain is largely down to Boris Johnson, who was the Brussels correspondent for The Times until sacked in 1988 for falsifying quotations.

In order to make a name for himself as a journalist, Boris "seized every chance to mock or denigrate the EU, filing stories that were undoubtedly colourful but also grotesquely exaggerated or completely untrue". Editors of other papers saw how this was selling copy and insisted that their EU correspondents followed suit, instead of reporting the worthy but frankly dull daily business of the EU.

Before we joined what was then the Common Market, the UK was known as the "sick man of Europe". Now we are the 5th largest economy in the world. Anyone who puts that at risk is a fool.

#8 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 23 June 2016 - 17:11

I voted IN (gave EU 7/10 as did Jeremy Corbyn).

"Always hold on tight to Nurse

Or you might get some one much worse"

:rolleyes:

:D

If in doubt, you should vote IN - because one direction is reversible and the other isn't.

I voted in, and wondered if I would be told off for humming the Ode to Joy inside the polling station on account of it being canvassing.

#9 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17650 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 23 June 2016 - 17:38

Most certainly I voted IN.  A lot has been said about immigration, for me thats a minor issue, if we get a few more , we will cope.  We are all God's children. Far more important is our Security and Economic Stability. On those grounds , which are being handled well by our current government,  we must stay IN

#10 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6233 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 23 June 2016 - 18:10

In. Anything else would be barmy.

#11 lubylu

lubylu

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • Member: 522569
  • Dorset

Posted 23 June 2016 - 18:49

In. I started off not being at all sure but things became very clear over the past couple of weeks. The only people I know who are voting out are my parents. Apparently everything was rosy back in the day before we were "duped" into joining the EU. I tried and failed to suggest this might be a simplistic view.....

#12 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7818 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 23 June 2016 - 19:59

As anyone who has read my posts knows, I would have voted IN had I not been disenfranchised. 

#13 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 23 June 2016 - 20:30

Me too Aquarelle, and my OH. How can they have been so daft as to disenfranchise the British citizens who would be amongst the most directly affected by an out vote?

#14 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 23 June 2016 - 20:59

In. I think freedom of movement cuts both ways in terms of benefits to the UK as well, and in particular for the arts. I'm also concerned over environmental issues and employment rights -we should be able to make our own, fair laws about these issues  but I don't feel confident about this happening. Together with the economic uncertainty of Brexit-both on a personal level as a sole trader whose income is dependent on my customers' financial security and on the wider level.

#15 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4916 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 23 June 2016 - 21:19

Fool, barmy, daft, simplistic..... what a censorious lot. :rolleyes: