#4156 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:17

Oh, I am sorry! I hope you're both OK?! I assume *when* we get sun here - everyone has it!!! We live on a hill... so we see any floods go whizzing past. I am always half-prepared for the rest of the 'village' taking refuge up here with us...

#4157 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:39

Oh, I am sorry! I hope you're both OK?

Fine thanks - that was "here" in the general sense.  The river at the bottom of the valley flooded and the main road was blocked for a while, but like you we are on a hill so most of the water goes past us.  Phew!  Probably too traumatised to work on my double tonguing though :)

#4158 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:46

Of course you're too traumatised! You must rest, regain your psychological strength by looking at nice recorders/music you should have and eating ice-cream or chocolate or whatever you like best...

#4159 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 01 August 2020 - 17:02

Maizie, I need to find, again, Anacrusis' description of did'l-ing. I'm coming to the conclusion that even the teachers and really good players are sometimes using the same letters to describe quite different actions. For me, a plain "l" is barely an articulation (you can voice an l, indefinitely, but you can't do that with d or g). But yes, if it sounds OK, I suppose that's all that matters. I need to do some serious thinking and trying things out...

Thanks for the link, OaG!

#4160 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:06

Oooooh, I bumped into this yesterday. I will admit I haven't spent a lot of time listening to Lucie Horsch; I know she's a top-notch player, but most of her early recordings struck me as technically perfect, sort of irritatingly-so, not heart-moving. But this is why all that technical perfection was worthwhile, necessary, part of her journey. She has emerged from it able, technically, to do anything she wants - and now her musical taste has blossomed. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the most beautiful, musical and technically-accomplished performance I've ever heard, amongst the most moving - and that includes compared to Bruggen. The thing is any recorder player will recognise that this is mind-bendingly, amazingly clever playing, and yet she makes it sound natural, flowing, right and normal, as though it's just what the instrument does. I'm completely stunned by this. 

To be fair, her accompanist is a heaven-sent genius too.

#4161 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 15:20

Yes indeed, excellent playing. As well as listening, it was a pleasure to watch the fingers of her right hand working with such precision. 

I'm about to start some practice, I'm playing a piece with more slurred notes than usual which is quite testing in terms of getting that kind of precise action to work, so I will hope a bit of inspiration rubs off.

#4162 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:25

A bit of a long shot: does anyone know if the sheet music for Shepherd's tune from Mockfj√§rd after Anders Frisell is easily available anywhere?  It's the first track on the Recorder CD by Kristine West.  It's a lovely tune that she plays unaccompanied, and I'd like to have a go myself.  I have checked IMSLP and various music outlets, but all I can find is a "walking tune" by him, which there are lots of transcriptions of on the internet.  Presumably it's a fairly traditional folk tune and maybe Ms West transcribed it herself.  In a way I'm being lazy because I could do the same thing, but it would save a fair bit of bother if I could take advantage of someone else having already done it.

#4163 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:49

Hmmm is it this one?

http://https://www.r...isell-mockfjard

which West plays here...

https://www.youtube....h?v=mVl8blBISp4

#4164 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:50

That is indeed the one - thank you very much!

#4165 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 15:48

Ooooh, Kristine West, verrrrry lovely player. You have good taste, OaG.

#4166 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:43

Well, it's not hard to spot that she is indeed a lovely player.  The CD I mentioned is one of my favourites: it's a good blend of well-known and more unusual items, and the playing throughout is absolutely beautiful.

#4167 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 09:12

@ OaG - :)

Hi everyone!

#4168 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 13:43

BTW - I agree, it's a very beautiful album. I'm not sure I'd want to listen to it, if I was feeling sad as some of the tracks are very melancholy and haunting. However, it's a very peculiar cover. I wonder what possessed them. "I've got a great idea, Kristine. Why don't you go paddling in a long frock; carrying a really expensive recorder?"

#4169 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 14:14

Oh, they've probably all done it: Stefan Temmingh has done leaping-in-the-surf-wearing-a-dress-shirt-and-clutching-expensive-recorder. I assume it's arty and interesting, and makes photographers feel they're earning their keep. It's an odd one. In the old days, a record-sleeve was quite important in attracting someone to look at the record, almost as much so as a book cover was to attract a potential buyer in a bookshop. I'm guessing nowadays everyone buying a Kristine West album is doing so online because they know precisely what they hope to hear, and you could do a badly-drawn picture of an elephant upside down on the cover, and no one would much care or notice. But we still have to have a cover photo because there's a cover, so someone has to design it...

But on a more serious note, I am decidedly uncomfortable about the need for musicians to be physically attractive. I know I'm as bad as anyone else on this; when browsing around YouTube I probably gravitate towards the nice-looking groups and individuals more than I should. But in the end, we should value a musician for how they play, not how nice they look in a dress. This seems to be a particular problem in the piano world, though I do wonder what happens to violinists with ugly arms. It's more of a problem for female musicians than male - though there's no doubt that it extends to men too, particularly boy-bands - you can still get away with being a supremely capable and talented but stunningly ugly old man. I'm not asking for nominations, though.

#4170 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 13 August 2020 - 14:18

elemimele, I'd value you for how niice you look in a dress :P