3 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Jones

Luke Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 900066

Posted 18 February 2020 - 23:19

I have an audition for junior Guildhall in 3 weeks and have learnt the presto from the Bach sonata no 1. I would like to know any good pieces that contrast to this piece that could go with an accompliment of just piano. Thank you for your help.

#2 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7125 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 19 February 2020 - 00:38

What does your teacher suggest?

Your teacher knows your strengths and weaknesses, and which instrument you play...

If you are talking about flute then a romantic or twentieth century piece would be a good contrast. It is often best to avoid really well known pieces like the Faure or Hue Fantasies, Chaminade Concertino or Poulenc Sonata. What do you already have in your repertoire? I would not recommend learning a grade 8 or diploma level piece from scratch for an audition which is only 3 weeks away. It is better to do something easier which you know well and produce a musically convincing performance.

#3 Luke Jones

Luke Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 900066

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:43

Sorry about the obscurity, I play violin and have a lot of practice time until the audition as I'm on half term. I am not seeing my violin teacher until a few days and would like an idea what I could do, I have already done some research and not could much. (Even with my broad knowledge of classical music). Grade 7 might be ok

#4 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2268 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:54

Perhaps you could message your teacher? I'm surprised they haven't given you a few suggestions - that'd be better than people on here throwing random ideas at you! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Audition