Photo

DipABRSM in Instrumental Teaching (Piano)

diplomas teaching dipabrsm piano instrumental teachers writtensubmission

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 rejoice

rejoice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Member: 887314

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:12

Thank you very much for all your replies!

@Charles, I've read your thread. That was a really informative write-up. Could you explain the difference between horizontal and lateral movement? I thought they were the same (with vertical movement referring to the up and down motion of the hand).

In the syllabus, one of the areas of discussion includes "the sources used" for the written submission. Does anyone have any idea what this mean? I'm not sure if it refers to the teaching perspective of the book or something else...

What does "Professional Values and Practice" refer to? Ethical aspects of business operation, copyrights, child protection, etc?

I'll be playing Kellner's Fugue, Heller's Etude, and Jingpo Shan Ge. Anyone else playing the same?

#17 Dreamaurora

Dreamaurora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Member: 316
  • Singapore

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:13

By default, our hands are placed perpendicular to the keyboard. Horizontal movement refers to the movement of hands left and right across the keyboard while still maintaining this perpendicular angle. Lateral movement refers to rotation of the hand at the wrist point causing the hand to be at an angle to the keyboard. We employ lateral movement when we want to achieve a beautiful legato melody for an example; the rotation of the hand shifts the center of gravity causing some fingers to have more weights than the others. So the dynamics shaping is much more natural with usage of lateral movement. The Heller Etude you are doing is n excellent piece to demonstrate this. 

Sources used means whatever reference materials you have used in preparing your written submission. You should be prepared to discuss and debate points and principles raised in your source materials. 

Yes, professional values and practice refers to those things you mentioned. You might want to type out your studio policy and bring it to the exam.

#18 rejoice

rejoice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:53

By default, our hands are placed perpendicular to the keyboard. Horizontal movement refers to the movement of hands left and right across the keyboard while still maintaining this perpendicular angle. Lateral movement refers to rotation of the hand at the wrist point causing the hand to be at an angle to the keyboard. We employ lateral movement when we want to achieve a beautiful legato melody for an example; the rotation of the hand shifts the center of gravity causing some fingers to have more weights than the others. So the dynamics shaping is much more natural with usage of lateral movement. The Heller Etude you are doing is n excellent piece to demonstrate this. 

Sources used means whatever reference materials you have used in preparing your written submission. You should be prepared to discuss and debate points and principles raised in your source materials. 

Yes, professional values and practice refers to those things you mentioned. You might want to type out your studio policy and bring it to the exam.

Thank you for the clarification! I guess lateral movement is what I usually refer to as rotary motion. 

Does lumpy fingers refer to collapsed knuckles?

I'll be starting with the Quick Study. Hoping my fingers won't be too cold.  :unsure: Especially if it's a scalar, Scarlatti-like piece.

#19 Dreamaurora

Dreamaurora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Singapore

Posted 11 July 2014 - 15:44

Yes, lumpy fingers refer to collapsed knuckles. 

If you know someone who has DipABRSM or LRSM teaching, it would be helpful to get them to give you a mock test. I prepared my DipABRSM all by myself and I know I could have done better if I had gotten someone to simulate the process of the exam. 

#20 rejoice

rejoice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 00:11

Yes, lumpy fingers refer to collapsed knuckles. 

If you know someone who has DipABRSM or LRSM teaching, it would be helpful to get them to give you a mock test. I prepared my DipABRSM all by myself and I know I could have done better if I had gotten someone to simulate the process of the exam. 

Yeah, but I honestly don't know anyone in this state who has taken a DipABRSM, or nationwide, a teaching DipABRSM. :P Seems like Trinity Guildhall is the more common option at diploma level.

#21 rejoice

rejoice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:43

Thank you so much for all your replies and feedback! My exam's over and now comes the long wait for the results. Overall, it was okayish, though I wished I'd done better in certain sections, like when performing sections of the prepared pieces. Oh well, it's over and done though.

The quick study was rather manageable, though I wonder if it'd could have been played a tad bit faster with a tad more exaggeration of dynamics. 

#22 Louise H

Louise H

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Member: 7092
  • West Cumbria

Posted 15 July 2014 - 13:04

rejoice - well done for getting through it. I think it is hard to be objective about how it went, especially soon afterwards. It's easy to think some parts could have gone better and you often know yourself particularly bits where you know you could have done better.

Anyway, try to wind down and relax. Look for other things to do over the summer months or turn your mind to the things you might have thought about doing once the exam is out of the way. 

#23 rejoice

rejoice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:46

rejoice - well done for getting through it. I think it is hard to be objective about how it went, especially soon afterwards. It's easy to think some parts could have gone better and you often know yourself particularly bits where you know you could have done better.

Anyway, try to wind down and relax. Look for other things to do over the summer months or turn your mind to the things you might have thought about doing once the exam is out of the way. 

Thank you Louise. Yeah, I agree. It's easier for me to spot all the could-have-been-better parts. But I think the examiner knows better. :)

#24 Dreamaurora

Dreamaurora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Singapore

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:54

Congratulations on getting through the exam, Rejoice. It is no easy feat preparing and attempting a DipABRSM Teaching exam, and I am sure no matter how you do, what you have gained in the process will be invaluable in your teaching practice. 

#25 rejoice

rejoice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:48

Congratulations on getting through the exam, Rejoice. It is no easy feat preparing and attempting a DipABRSM Teaching exam, and I am sure no matter how you do, what you have gained in the process will be invaluable in your teaching practice. 

Definitely. I realized that I have learned so much about teaching during this preparation. And I know that this is just the beginning as experience is also a good teacher itself. :)

#26 rejoice

rejoice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:04

My results arrived today....

And I'm glad to say that I've passed!  :woot:

With a total passing mark of 60%  :D (Is that considered average?)

I wish to thank each and every forum member who have contributed to my preparation. Your advice, tips, and encouragement have been invaluable! Considering that I don't know of anyone (in-person) who have taken this exam.... 

Once again, a big THANK YOU to all of you!  :party:     :piano:

#27 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6266 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:28

Congratulations!

#28 allegretto

allegretto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Member: 292970

Posted 13 September 2014 - 13:12

Well done!

#29 rejoice

rejoice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 13:26

Thank you, Corenfa and Allegretto! :)

#30 Seer_Green

Seer_Green

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3869 posts
  • Member: 114670
  • Lichfield, Staffordshire

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:19

Well done, rejoice (hope you're rejoicing!). My DipABRSM teaching candidate also passed :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diplomas, teaching, dipabrsm, piano, instrumental, teachers, writtensubmission