Photo

Home insurance for music teachers - what can I expect to pay?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 tangoallegro

tangoallegro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 898194

Posted 03 October 2019 - 16:23

Have you tried Halifax? I use them and no questions on the number of visitors per week.

#17 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 03 October 2019 - 21:34

I went through this process (and was grateful to the previous discussions for ideas and guidance!) only a few weeks ago.  Also ended up with LV; and I think I was told there was no restriction on my numbers.

#18 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:44

I can't understand why there would be such a hike in premiums for having lessons from home; is there really the evidence to suggest teachers' homes are more likely to require an insurance claim than others? Presumably for tax purposes, you can get two quotes, one of which would be as if you didn't give lessons, and one the actual quote, and the entire difference would be decuctible? 

#19 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2809 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:03

I only started to include home teaching in my policy last year. I had never thought to include it previously, but when I queried a renewal quote last year, and decided to go elsewhere, I was asked directly if I had any kind of business at home. I was honest with them and said that I'd never included it before and was warned about the possibility of accidents to my pupils and the risk of being sued. I live in an apartment building with a lobby and the fact that one of my grandchildren had tripped there a couple of years ago (and had a horrible bump to the head) made me reconsider.   

#20 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1385 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 04 October 2019 - 14:19

That's more public liability cover though - yes, you should certainly have that as well. I have a separate policy for that, about 40 pounds a year.

#21 DMC

DMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 15 October 2019 - 14:50

I've ended up with Endsleigh this year. Plenty of insurers will cover you, but most are fussy on the numbers present at any one time, and the number of visitors per week.

In the past I've used Home Protect and CoOp.

I did get a quote from the ISM recommended one and their quote was truly astronomical. Personally I won't pay more than £500 a year for Buildings and Contents.

#22 RuthP

RuthP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Member: 894857
  • UK

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:38

I've ended up with Endsleigh this year. Plenty of insurers will cover you, but most are fussy on the numbers present at any one time, and the number of visitors per week.

In the past I've used Home Protect and CoOp.

I did get a quote from the ISM recommended one and their quote was truly astronomical. Personally I won't pay more than £500 a year for Buildings and Contents.

It’s strange, the insurance companies seem to be very inconsistent with their rules and policies. I phoned up Endsleigh for a quote the other day and they said they couldn’t cover me at all if I’m teaching from home!