4 replies to this topic

#1 vezrez

vezrez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Member: 893414

Posted 15 March 2017 - 13:27

Does anyone have experience of teaching this delightful cross between a recorder & a clarinet??

I am wondering what books to use / fingerings to teach??

I have a 5yr old pupil started & is making a great sound but am wondering whether to teach clarinet or recorder fingerings!
Thanks in advance,

#2 BannerdaleMusic

BannerdaleMusic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Member: 895699

Posted 19 March 2017 - 22:27

A quick google looks like C fingerings, but I've never seen one. I'd much rather use a C clarinet or clarineo, as they're a bit more of a 'proper' instrument http://www.clarineo.co.uk
Anything that looks like a recorder / plays like a recorder and has the same fingerings... I would use a recorder book or 'The Fife' book which is fab.
Although, I'm still a big fan of teaching recorder at 5/6/7, and then switching when they get to prep/ grade 1 level or the first couple of music levels.
You used to be able to use a C clarinet up to grade 3 ABRSM although I've not entered them myself.

#3 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3292 posts
  • Member: 7335

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:24

A quick google looks like C fingerings, but I've never seen one. I'd much rather use a C clarinet or clarineo, as they're a bit more of a 'proper' instrument http://www.clarineo.co.uk
Anything that looks like a recorder / plays like a recorder and has the same fingerings... I would use a recorder book or 'The Fife' book which is fab.
Although, I'm still a big fan of teaching recorder at 5/6/7, and then switching when they get to prep/ grade 1 level or the first couple of music levels.
You used to be able to use a C clarinet up to grade 3 ABRSM although I've not entered them myself.

I have entered pupils on Eb clarinets and have used them for children as young as 5 on Eb clarinets. I have a year 1 I am teaching at the moment in an Eb. I had one student take her grades1-3 on an Eb. I have 6 students on an Eb clarinet at the moment and if you leave it until they really are big enough, the transfer to Bb is usually painless and their hand posture is better than that of a student who began on a Bb but was a tiny bit too small.
I thoroughly recommend using Eb clarinets to teach small children.

#4 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:12

I have entered pupils on Eb clarinets and have used them for children as young as 5 on Eb clarinets. I have a year 1 I am teaching at the moment in an Eb. I had one student take her grades1-3 on an Eb. I have 6 students on an Eb clarinet at the moment and if you leave it until they really are big enough, the transfer to Bb is usually painless and their hand posture is better than that of a student who began on a Bb but was a tiny bit too small.

How do they go with playing an Eb? Does it tend to make them 'blow' too hard as an Eb needs more pressure than a Bb and a cheaper instrument is usually even harder than a more expensive one.

There's a point in starting on recorder for those who really want to get playing something before they are big enough for a regular sized wind instrument but is this perpetuating the myth that recorder is something that is only good for this?

#5 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3292 posts
  • Member: 7335

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:17

How do they go with playing an Eb? Does it tend to make them 'blow' too hard as an Eb needs more pressure than a Bb and a cheaper instrument is usually even harder than a more expensive one.
There's a point in starting on recorder for those who really want to get playing something before they are big enough for a regular sized wind instrument but is this perpetuating the myth that recorder is something that is only good for this?

Making a good sound on the Eb is harder than on a Bb but they all master it in the end and some make a good sound straight away. When they transfer, I have had no student blowing too hard. I have Eb clarinets that my pupils use and they are John Packer student instruments but nearly all of them have decent mouthpieces on them ( makes a huge difference to the ease of playing). My little student who began on Eb when 5 and took Grade 1-3 on the Eb, has just taken her Grade 5 on the Bb- she makes a good sound.

Seriously- it has never been the sound that is the issue when transferring from Eb to Bb. If I try to get them to transfer too early, it is reaching the little finger keys that is the problem. The students want to transfer, as they want to be like the big ones in the school orchestra- and I have let them in the past. The girl who took her grade 3 on the Eb transferred really easily. I had another girl who was in year 5 for the transfer, after Grade 2 and she had no problem either. I think I have learned that the worst transfer time is after Grade 1 when they are learning clarion notes and trying to deal with a bigger instrument.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clarinet, saxonett, recorder, music books