Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 24 November 2019 - 14:43

Hello

What type of recorder do you recommend for a small child? My pupil is currently three years old and has shown a interest in learning how to play the recorder. How did you find a teacher who was good? What questions do I ask?

Suggestions on books also needed. I have no idea what to buy. She is a visual learner if that helps. Many thanks in advance! She has a plastic toy recorder we bought for her first birthday but has not had lessons yet. She has been exposed to the recorder since birth. 

#2 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:16

I think you will struggle to find a teacher for a child so young. Is she unusually big for her age? I ask because many 5 year olds are still too small to manage to cover all the holes at the same time, so are unable to progress as far as the first three notes so I imagine the vast majority of 3 year olds would have the same problem. It might be best to continue to let her play with the instrument you have, and join a general music class (usually singing and percussion in a group) which will give her a head start when learning an instrument in a few years time. Many piano teachers will take children as young as 4 or 5, and, from experience, the children who have been to some sort of music class first learn much quicker. I think it is unusual to find a wind teacher who takes children under 7.

#3 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3749 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:07

I want to buy my 6 year old granddaughter a recorder for Christmas.She's had a purple Peppa Pig one but I think we're ready for something better but not too expensive so I was hoping someone would suggest a suitable one in answer to the OP

#4 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:53

re being big enough - if she's tiny then she could learn with the sopranino. It's tiny too. And surprisingly sweetly toned.

re choosing a recorder then I suggest reading what John at Saunders recorders has to say: http://saundersrecorders.com/   I have a number of beginner instruments (I think recorder players tend to amass recorders) but I don't have a purple Peppa Pig one (though now I think I wish I did) so I can't comment on how they would compare. Some of the cheap instruments produced for children are very good and some of the more expensive ones (some aimed at adults) are awful! A 'better' instrument doesn't mean it will sound better. If it did I'd be at the Albert Hall! But ironically, the more skilled you get, the better the cheap instruments sound. The cheaper, beginner instruments tend to be constructed so that it's easier to get the beginner notes. They can be tricky on the higher notes but very responsive on the critical first octave and a bit. The dearer ones though tend to be more idiosyncratic... Hope that helps... If not then I bet John at Saunders recorder will have a solution... :)

#5 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2231 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 26 November 2019 - 13:22

Very few, if any, 3-year-olds will have the co-ordination to get far on the recorder, even a sopranino.  Most 5 year-olds will struggle, and I've found it's better to wait till they are at least 6-7.  It'll be a far more rewarding musical experience for everyone.

Yes to the suggestion of general music classes involving singing, movement and percussion etc.

#6 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7845 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 26 November 2019 - 13:27

I want to buy my 6 year old granddaughter a recorder for Christmas.She's had a purple Peppa Pig one but I think we're ready for something better but not too expensive so I was hoping someone would suggest a suitable one in answer to the OP

I start my six year olds in class on Aulos  plastic descants  when I can get them. They play easily, are well tuned and quite robust. My second choice is  Yamaha YRS 24B. I can't remember the modle    number of the Aulos plastic descants I used because it's a while since I was able to get hold of any here.  I am always careful to check that the model is Baroque fingering and not "German" or "Modern"

#7 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3749 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 26 November 2019 - 13:36

Have found Aulos on Amazon so will go with that. I'm not a recorder teacher but I learnt as a child and can still play. I'm teaching my granddaughter piano so thought she might enjoy recorder too.

#8 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • UK

Posted 26 November 2019 - 17:57

re being big enough - if she's tiny then she could learn with the sopranino. It's tiny too. And surprisingly sweetly toned.

re choosing a recorder then I suggest reading what John at Saunders recorders has to say: http://saundersrecorders.com/   I have a number of beginner instruments (I think recorder players tend to amass recorders) but I don't have a purple Peppa Pig one (though now I think I wish I did) so I can't comment on how they would compare. Some of the cheap instruments produced for children are very good and some of the more expensive ones (some aimed at adults) are awful! A 'better' instrument doesn't mean it will sound better. If it did I'd be at the Albert Hall! But ironically, the more skilled you get, the better the cheap instruments sound. The cheaper, beginner instruments tend to be constructed so that it's easier to get the beginner notes. They can be tricky on the higher notes but very responsive on the critical first octave and a bit. The dearer ones though tend to be more idiosyncratic... Hope that helps... If not then I bet John at Saunders recorder will have a solution... :)

How big is it?

#9 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • UK

Posted 26 November 2019 - 17:59

I start my six year olds in class on Aulos  plastic descants  when I can get them. They play easily, are well tuned and quite robust. My second choice is  Yamaha YRS 24B. I can't remember the modle    number of the Aulos plastic descants I used because it's a while since I was able to get hold of any here.  I am always careful to check that the model is Baroque fingering and not "German" or "Modern"

Where can I get one?

#10 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3749 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 26 November 2019 - 18:14

I've found one on Amazon.

#11 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • UK

Posted 26 November 2019 - 21:01

What do people say about it?

#12 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3749 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 26 November 2019 - 22:04

The reviews are good. Easy to read on Amazon.

#13 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • UK

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:40

Is it a good idea to buy a recorder or not? 

#14 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7103 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:58

Is it a good idea to buy a recorder or not?

For the 3 year old? No. Unless she is the size of a 5-6 year old and has the same cognitive skills and maturity. You say she is your pupil, what do you teach her and what is she able to manage in that context? That sort of information can help people to answer your question.

Unless she is a very atypical 3 year old, general music classes based on a kodaly or equivalent approach would provide a much better foundation for future musical development. If you want to buy her a present (which is perhaps inappropriate if she is your pupil!) Then some small percussion instruments or a little xylophone or glockenspiel would be better for someone that age.

#15 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • UK

Posted 27 November 2019 - 14:52

Thanks. She is incredibly smart for 3 however. I have not taught her anything yet. She is also my niece. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recorder, beginner, small children