#1 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4664 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:23

While I have time in the hols, I'm emptying my food cupboards of all the really out of date tins and packets and am doing creative recipes to use them up. Anyone else doing this? Just underway with a sausage meatloaf to use up 2 packets of Jurassic Paxo stuffing.

#2 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19951 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 16 August 2019 - 16:53

I did this one year, and invented something that the family called ‘Best-Before cookies’.

#3 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7845 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 16 August 2019 - 18:09

Yes, this is one of the thousand tidying up things I am tackling while "on holiday". However, i'm afraid mine are all going straight in the composter or in the bin. Norway, yours may be Jurassic but i suspect mine by comparison would be just after the Big Bang!!

#4 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6582 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 16 August 2019 - 19:53

Argh yes!  One year I tidied out my cupboards and found 6 packets of cornflour which I only use at Christmas (they were all in different corners) - naturally most were out of date.  DD took photo and put it on facebook.  I had to remonstrate online in case any guests thought I fed them with out of date food!!

We've just had a new kitchen installed, so I'm putting stuff back quite gradually and although I threw away quite a bit of stuff when I did the initial clearing out, I'm finding that I'm being more observant and fussy as I put things back so anything with a best before date of 2018 or less is being binned.

#5 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:51

Whenever my other half asks me what I want to eat, I say, Whatever's past its sell-by date. She hates it when I say that.

#6 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 17 August 2019 - 13:16

That reminds me, mum went into a home on Good Friday although only officially "permanent" since August and I haven't started tackling her food mountain. As well as the kitchen there is about 1/2 of the box room (although some of that is household non-food stuff) and the top half of a tall-boy in the back bedroom that I know of. Biscuits are the worst - some are perfectly edible a year past best before date and others are stale when they're only just past. I would have given what I could to a food bank but I suspect there isn't a single thing left that's actually in-date! 

Never started last year's Christmas cake as mum ended up in hospital just after Christmas and there was only the 2 of us and of course Mum had insisted on overbuying other cakes. It will keep indefinitely though!

#7 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • London

Posted 17 August 2019 - 14:51

When my other half's father died, we found half a jar of Carte Noire in his cupboard, 4 years past its sell-by date, I think. It smelt good, so I tasted it, and it was fine, so I drank it. Then I bought some more, and it was nowhere near as good - they must have changed the recipe in the meantime!

#8 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4664 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 15:01

Unlike "use by", out of date "best before" stuff is mainly fine - my 8 portions of meatloaf only cost me £3.80 for the fresh sausage meat (all the other ingredients wanted using up). smile.png Save your stuff Hedgehog - it'll be fine, especially if you cook it!

#9 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2849 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 17 August 2019 - 15:17

We don't drink instant coffee but I keep a jar in for visitors who want it. The problem is you can't buy a really tiny jar and by the second time I come to use it the 'coffee' has gone grey and even more disgusting than it was to start with. I've starting collecting a few sachets when we're in hotels. At least they're sealed.

We have a huge amount of dried fruit. It was on offer so I got loads...

#10 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 17 August 2019 - 15:17

When my mum died, we found stuff that was so old, they didn't have any dates at all! I can assure you it was all fine to eat, though why she needed dozens of cans of peaches etc is beyond me!

#11 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4664 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 19:02

My mum hoarded stuff too - and shopped without making a list - she had a thing about coffee and tins of peas and always bought some "just in case". Storing it was a nightmare and dad didn't want to upset her, so I took the excess groceries to work and gave them to my colleagues.

#12 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4664 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 19:25

Anyone up for the "what's the oldest item you can find?" game? I think the oldest date will be among the spices (wanders off to kitchen....to be continued....)

#13 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3749 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 17 August 2019 - 20:04

I have found some cochineal( artificial) best before 2002. My vanilla essence is best before 2008.Also some cooking chocolate best before 2009. Smells fine but has a white bloom on it! These 3 items will be thrown out.

#14 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • London

Posted 17 August 2019 - 20:22

I believe that the one foodstuff that never goes off is honey. Ancient Egyptian honey is still edible in theory, whenever they happen to find any! I didn't know that. I had a jar of acacia honey that was a year past. It seemed OK, so I had it in everything to get rid of it asap. Then I went to the supermarket and baulked at the price. Then I found I could have kept what I had.

#15 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4664 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:35

I've discovered almond essence April 1998, and there are also two older looking bottles - rum and peppermint essence with no best before dates, and one has a sticker on the lid with the number 17 (pence?) on it. I think we are in museum territory here! laugh.png