tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 07 December 2019 - 13:18

I have a couple of queries. The first is about a young pupil whose mum says would like to learn some Scottish folk tunes and did I know any suitable beginner books. Unfortunately I only teach Classical violin and don't know any books to recommend. My pupil is currently using Flying Start for Strings book 2 and has just started learning slurs although he has done some of the harder pieces without slurs such as Frere Jacques and Baa Baa Black Sheep. If anyone can recommend any books I would be really grateful.

The other query I had was with another young pupil who seems to have problems playing the right number of notes. She didn't seem to understand that she's to play one note per note head so she would sometimes either play too many notes or not enough. I had told her to pluck or bow once per note head but at her last lesson she was tending to play 4 of each note. This turned out to be because she had been counting the number of notes to play but hadn't taken into account that there aren't four of each note every time! I got her to play it again with me pointing to each individual note and it was better but still quite rough.

I'm genuinely not sure how to sort this; I don't know if it's something as simple as she needs support right now and the problem will sort itself in time as she gets older, or if there's a genuine problem she needs specific help with. I had always thought pieces with the same note repeating would make things easier but in this case, clearly not...Should also say that mum in this case was leaving the pupil to practise by herself which might be part of the problem as there's no one to help her if she's struggling.

#2 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6052 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 07 December 2019 - 14:28

There's The Scottish Folk Fiddle Tutor, which is one I have used before. It goes from first steps - although quite fast. I have just begun an adult on this, and have also sent her away with All for Strings Bk 1, both for supplementation and consolidation.

For your multiple-note pupil, I wonder if it would help to use some flash cards with just one note on, and get her used to that first. If she sees more notes, she might play more notes, whether they are repeated notes or not! Then you could try building them up into very short patterns of two or three notes. You don't say how old she is, but I'm guessing she's quite young, in which case she will need some parental supervision.

Edit: The Scottish Folk Fiddle Tutor is also suitable for children. It's available with or without CD.

#3 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 07 December 2019 - 21:01

That's great, thank you!  :)