Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1506 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2020 - 19:12

It's a long shot, however, does anyone recall the piece, played with a zimbelstern stop, that accompanied the titles of the first series of 21st Century Bach, an endeavour that featured Bach's organ pieces played by organist John Scott Whiteley (along with odd camera shots)? 

The programme aired late evenings on BBC Two typically just after Newsnight from 2003–2009 (the later series opened with bees buzzing around a bust of Bach).

#2 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 03 September 2020 - 20:05

... I don't, but if you're reduced to searching through recordings and sheet music, I'd start with all the Chorale preludes with a Christmas theme. It's what Zimbelsterns are built for, like Christmas markets, cinnamon biscuits, and Gluhwein.

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18291 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 03 September 2020 - 20:52

I remember the series, but dont know which piece John Scott-Whiteley used the Zimbelstern for

#4 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20165 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 04 September 2020 - 06:30

This is a pretty long shot, LF, but this is one example of a number of discs with the 21st C Bach name (so presumably from the same series) which are available. 

https://www.prestomu...-works-volume-1

Apologies if you have already followed up a similar search and found it fruitless. 

Might be a starting point, if not. 

#5 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5207 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:54

This is what I love about Viva Organ. Only here would you find something like a Zimbelstern thread.

#6 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5397 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:24

This is what I love about Viva Organ. Only here would you find something like a Zimbelstern thread.

It's not the first! I disgraced myself aeons ago by asking a similar question and describing it as 'a little windmill-type thing that tinkles'.
I must have been charmed by the same piece but I can't remember what it was.

#7 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18291 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:32

This is a pretty long shot, LF, but this is one example of a number of discs with the 21st C Bach name (so presumably from the same series) which are available. 

Apologies if you have already followed up a similar search and found it fruitless. 

Yes it might be one of those, but I think there were two or more series.

#8 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1506 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 04 September 2020 - 09:40

Ha! Indeed!

I really appreciate everyone taking time to look into this.

Thing is, I can't recall the piece but buried deep somewhere I have a recollection that I liked it at the time!  I've found this, which I believe is from the series, but cannot confirm if it's the same piece I seem to be thinking about (which I am convinced was played over the series 1 opening titles)!!

https://www.youtube....h?v=KOGPgDzEtKg

#9 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1154 posts
  • Member: 58391

Posted 08 September 2020 - 00:20

There were three DVDs published. I may be wrong, but I'm sure I saw a reference to JSW recording a fourth series.  I'm not sure that it was ever broadcast and I'm fairly certain it never made it onto DVD.

The Zimbelstern was heard on its own at the end of each episode while the credits rolled. At the beginning there was merely a faint hint of it. Here's an example.